• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Joys of GP phone appointments

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Well, I think I just spoke to the most useless GP I've ever spoken to before. He said to ignore my ongoing ear pain as it can't be infected any more. Apparently tugging on my ear lobe proves this. Even though, when it itched a few times today, I pressed my tragus against my ear canal to rub it and cure the itch. It felt very sore and swollen. So clearly, something still isn't right.

I'll go to minor injuries tomorrow as I'm rarely convinced with Skype GP appointments, let alone a phone call conversation. I know my reaction is one of doubt, fuelled by health anxiety. Realistically I'm not in any position to question the medical advice of a Doctor. And yet, I know my body, and when something feels amiss. Not to mention the fact that but the nurse who saw my ear infection last Saturday at the minor injuries unit said it was a "nasty infection" and that 7 days worth of antibiotics wouldn't be enough. I'd rather err on the side of caution, rather than potentially allowing it to return. Especially as ear infections are a common side effect of my ADHD medication. Speaking of...

I also asked if I should post my ADHD assessment results to the GP surgery so that they could update my records accordingly. He informed me that I wouldn't be allowed my ADHD meds on the NHS as I didn't get it diagnosed through the NHS. As such, I'd either have to continue and wait for however many months/years for the NHS appointment, or fork out over £700 a year for my medication privately.

He said they're controlled substances and even though my consultant psychiatrist said it'd be passed to my GP and NHS to prescribe once we'd found the right med and dosage - this GP said this would be impossible.

Ed

The plot thickens - I rang another local minor injuries after I saw the one closest to me is only open from 1pm - 5pm according to Google. Thankfully they told me that's incorrect and it's open from 9am all day.

But, the fly in the ointment is this - they're not allowed to provide repeat prescriptions. So, even if I did need a longer course of meds - they need a Dr to sign off on that, and no Dr's work at the minor injuries unit.

I asked if they confirmed I needed a longer course of antibiotics, if they could notify my local GP surgery so I could collect them on Monday. She said they didn't know.

They told me that all I could do is visit the MIU tomorrow and get advice. I suppose at least they could look at it. But if it was still needing antibiotics? Then what? I have to sit with an infection for 2 days along with my health anxiety and "what if's". I've got a strong suspicion that I wouldn't be at all calm during this weekend if that was how it played out.

I guess the only other option would be to go to A&E but then I could kiss goodbye to 3-5 hours of my weekend.

Realistically - I'm sure most people would listen to the GP. Tell themselves they're fine, even if their ear still hurts? Would that be a "normal" or "common sense" approach?

Ed

If I were you, I'd order this online. I've treated many ear infections with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Similasan-Ea...rds=similasan+ear+drops&qid=1628289905&sr=8-5

It also might be very soothing to take some olive oil and warm it just barely to body temperature (NOT HOT), and then put a few drops in your ears. That feels very nice.

It might not be your ears at all. It might be an infected tooth, your lymph nodes, or your jaw. Often we get reflected pain in our ears when there is inflamation near them. If you're able to, make an in-person appointment.

Spent hours ringing a lot of places and got a GP appointment at 23:10. He said I need another week of stronger antibiotics and that I also have a perforated ear drum.

Nothing can go in my ear due to that. Although in 2 weeks he said to start using warm olive oil then in 3 weeks get my ears irrigated to get rid of a wax build up.

I'm glad I went with my gut and ignored that first GP

Ed

The plot thickens - I rang another local minor injuries after I saw the one closest to me is only open from 1pm - 5pm according to Google. Thankfully they told me that's incorrect and it's open from 9am all day.

But, the fly in the ointment is this - they're not allowed to provide repeat prescriptions. So, even if I did need a longer course of meds - they need a Dr to sign off on that, and no Dr's work at the minor injuries unit.

I asked if they confirmed I needed a longer course of antibiotics, if they could notify my local GP surgery so I could collect them on Monday. She said they didn't know.

They told me that all I could do is visit the MIU tomorrow and get advice. I suppose at least they could look at it. But if it was still needing antibiotics? Then what? I have to sit with an infection for 2 days along with my health anxiety and "what if's". I've got a strong suspicion that I wouldn't be at all calm during this weekend if that was how it played out.

I guess the only other option would be to go to A&E but then I could kiss goodbye to 3-5 hours of my weekend.

Realistically - I'm sure most people would listen to the GP. Tell themselves they're fine, even if their ear still hurts? Would that be a "normal" or "common sense" approach?

Ed
No

Spent hours ringing a lot of places and got a GP appointment at 23:10. He said I need another week of stronger antibiotics and that I also have a perforated ear drum.

Nothing can go in my ear due to that. Although in 2 weeks he said to start using warm olive oil then in 3 weeks get my ears irrigated to get rid of a wax build up.

I'm glad I went with my gut and ignored that first GP

Ed
I am too, hope for quick healing.

New Threads

Top Bottom