• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The hum

Skittlebisquit

Just keep trying, victory brings glory
V.I.P Member
I can hear a hum, it's really low pitched, it almost sounds like when you first hear an airplane, or like a car from far away.
I think I know what it is, it's nothing spooky. Because it's not localized, I'm pretty sure it's internal. Tinnitus is a ringing in the ears, they say it's caused by loud noises, like damage or hearing loss I guess.
I think the hum is just me, like the sound my blood makes going through my veins? Or some irregularity in the ear canal? It doesn't bother me very much I can only hear it when it's really really quiet, like right now.
There is an articles on it, but they described it as like some weird great mystery. I think it's tinnitus, or something related. Since I already have tinnitus, it makes sense. What I experience is like a high pitched whistling sort of. So since I already experience 1 auditory anomaly, then it makes sense that I could experience a different one at a different pitch.

Do you hear a hum?

I've had lifelong tinnitus. I've literally never experienced what silence is like and don't think I ever will. But I don't have a low pitched internal hum.

I hear it too. Kind of a high pitched ringing. Always have. Especially when I grew up in the countryside, and it was a still, quiet, peaceful day.

Yeah, I have had tinnitus in my right ear for about five years. An undulating high-pitched ringing that rarely goes away for even a few minutes. Something I truly consider to have reduced the quality of my life.

Recently came across an alleged cure called "Synapse XT". Seems like just another herbal medication that slips between consumer protection and the FDA. Claimed to use a complex combination of Tibetan Hibiscus, real Green Tea extracts, Juniper Berries, Garlic, Vitamin C and other common organic substances.

And observing a pattern where most links to this product start out questioning it as a scam, that end in outright product endorsement. That alone sends a red flag, IMO. Though it appears you can still buy the product through major retailers. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have had tinnitus in my right ear for about five years. An undulating high-pitched ringing that rarely goes away for even a few minutes. Something I truly consider to have reduced the quality of my life.

Recently came across an alleged cure called "Synapse XT". Seems like just another herbal medication that slips between consumer protection and the FDA. Claimed to use a complex combination of Tibetan Hibiscus, real Green Tea extracts, Juniper Berries, Garlic, Vitamin C and other common organic substances.

And observing a pattern where most links to this product start out questioning it as a scam, that end in outright product endorsement. That alone sends a red flag, IMO. Though it appears you can still buy the product through major retailers. :rolleyes:
For me the first flag would be tibetan hibiscus, i have heard of that preparation, no clue how its supposed to address nerve damage? Maybe the tibetans are involved. The hum is suppoaedly dif than tinnitus, not sure really. I think its the same thing. My tinitus sounds like flourescent lights buzzing only like two octaves higher.

The hum is supposedly different, often reported near urban or industrial centers, its likely many things, but the bigfoot and flying saucer ppl have some entertaining things to say about it. It seems like internal noise to me, like some of us cant tune things out and others never notice it

Thank you for the rescource Tree! I cant see it yet, but i will look soon. The low data on the phone thing again. Have you heard about the Taos Hum?

I can hear a hum, it's really low pitched, it almost sounds like when you first hear an airplane, or like a car from far away.
I think I know what it is, it's nothing spooky. Because it's not localized, I'm pretty sure it's internal. Tinnitus is a ringing in the ears, they say it's caused by loud noises, like damage or hearing loss I guess.
I think the hum is just me, like the sound my blood makes going through my veins? Or some irregularity in the ear canal? It doesn't bother me very much I can only hear it when it's really really quiet, like right now.
There is an articles on it, but they described it as like some weird great mystery. I think it's tinnitus, or something related. Since I already have tinnitus, it makes sense. What I experience is like a high pitched whistling sort of. So since I already experience 1 auditory anomaly, then it makes sense that I could experience a different one at a different pitch.

Do you hear a hum?

There is a form of autism-associated tinnitus (and visual snow). According to some of the latest neuroimaging studies, it is due to a "thalamo-cortico dysrhythmia",...they can actually see it on specific functional MRI scans. Personally, I have 5 different high-frequencies and 1 low-frequency "shhhhhh" sound (similar to static on an old TV),...ever present,...never goes away,...always been there. I have to have background or "white noise" in my environment all the time or else it can be quite distracting and uncomfortable. I also have what is known as "visual snow syndrome". When I was a child I used to think I could see air particles,...everything looks like a badly pixelated digital photo,...even my dreams are this way.
Further research into this phenomenon revealed that the specific processing areas for vision (lateral geniculate nucleus) and hearing are right next to each other in the thalamus (thalamic nuclei). After processing in the thalamus, signals are sent to processing centers in the cortex and cerebellum,...but the dysfunction appears to be within the thalamic nuclei,...and then these altered signals,..."noisy signals",...are sent for processing. Bottom line, (1) there is nothing wrong with your ears (you hear with your brain) or your eyes (you see with your brain),...and (2) this phenomenon has to do with the abnormal neuronal migration that occurred well before we were born due to our autism.

If anyone reading this has noticed a change in their hearing or vision that has resulted in visual snow or tinnitus,...in other words, you weren't born with it,...this is something else. Often times these more recent changes are due to vascular issues. Sometimes these things are blood pressure related,...adult onset hypertension, for example...see your physician. Sometimes it could be growth of abnormal blood vessels. I had a co-worker who developed a small, abnormal mass of blood vessels near her right ear,...the turbulent flow of blood could be heard,...it was quite distracting. She actually had to have it surgically removed as it could have resulted in a stroke. In the later case, see a neurologist for imaging studies.

I've had visual snow my whole life. It looks like the pixels on an old CRT screen.

I don't have tinnitis. I do hear (and feel) a hum frequently, but it's definitely something mechanical in either my building, or my town. I just haven't figured out what (I don't think it's anything supernatural etc...it's literally just a pump somewhere).

I've had visual snow my whole life. It looks like the pixels on an old CRT screen.

I don't have tinnitis. I do hear (and feel) a hum frequently, but it's definitely something mechanical in either my building, or my town. I just haven't figured out what (I don't think it's anything supernatural etc...it's literally just a pump somewhere).
Right or maybe an airhandler on top of a big building, or traffic going through a tunnel ...

I used to work in heavy industry. Many manufacturing plants have some form of specialized hvac, called blowpipe. Its for removing and collecting particulates. The pipes are sometimes 48" in diameter. Huge amounts of airflow, known to generate harmonic vibrations, has to be compensated for.
Any building of about 6 stories or so typ has an air handler on the roof, at least it does if its an office.
Thats why i think for me the hum is tinnitus or related, i am far removed from such issues, so it must be internal. Many folks have gone to extreme ends to try and locate a scource of low freq noise only some folks hear, but to no avail

New Threads

Top Bottom