• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Holistic hospital-how I would like to see healthcare evolve, not much chance though.

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
It’s great now we have wholistic hospitals.

We are still in a transition stage, where we need professionals to operate, treat, and advise, however, drugs are slowly but surely disappearing.

There are still, what seems, like different sections for body parts, yet, at the top, sits the psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist is the first person, all patients see, after a referral to the many new GP’s now recruited.

All sick people are referred to him first, because, he knows, that all sickness is rooted in mental illness.

He may then refer them to other professionals on the same floor as him, depending on their sickness.

These trained professionals will help correct bad lifestyle choices, and refer patients to the departments related to various body parts on the floor below.

Nobody gets referred straight to units dealing with physical complaints, without, first, seeing the psychiatrist, because, they would keep returning to be “Repaired” and operated on, as the root cause of the illness needs identifying by the psychiatrist and his fellow professionals on the top floor.

On the same floor as him, are the psychotherapists, the spiritual teachers. The psychiatrist refers people to these various professionals, depending on their illness.

On the next floor down, is the physical self care place, where professionals advise patients about sleep, nutrition, exercise, lifestyle and stress.

On the lower floors, are the neurology department, maxillofacial, ear nose and throat, pulmonary, cardiac, gastroenterology, hepatic, renal, gynaecology, obstetrics, urology, dermatology, endocrine, podiatry, dental, oncology, haematology, and orthopaedics.

You will notice there are no paediatrics, as all adults, children and babies are treated by the same departments.

I have limited knowledge of medicine, and conditions we believe that only drugs will help, yet, it is my strong feeling, that all conditions are rooted in spiritual causes, even genetic.

I cannot fully explain the ins-and-outs, but, this is how I would l would like to see healthcare evolve, in a perfect world.

Big Pharma admitted that they created psychiatric meds, and the myth that mental illness is just wonky brain chemistry, so they could become the billionaire giants they were.

Sorry but I couldn't think of anything worse than that. I'd put the psychiatrists in a small shed out the back along with the accupuncturists, aromatherapists, and other assorted snake oil salesmen.

I agree with you about Big Pharma, and most general practitioners are nothing more than glorified drug dealers.

I'm somewhere in the middle - big pharma is mostly crap solutions for giant societal problems, but the theory that diseases are all created in our minds is so unbelievably far-fetched that I can't totally subscribe to that, either. There's some truth in it, but I don't know if it accounts for everything.

Some middle-ground would be really nice to see (in my humble opinion), but we live in a world of very polarized people now, so that's equally unlikely. Thankfully we have a say in what we do with our bodies and minds for the most part (in the developed world), so all is pretty fair.

I might be a little biased and extremely grateful of what exists because my body has randomly tried to kill me twice, but sometimes medicine and surgery are a godsend when you need them.

Last edited:
"...however, drugs are slowly but surely disappearing."

To quote Gabor Maté's 2022 book - "Nearly 70 percent of Americans are on at least one prescription drug; more than half take two."

Ed

One thing I'm thankful for autism (assuming its true for me) is that meds aren't always necessary to treat me. My mental health journey began with me asking for a prescription for depression. Later that prescription turned into antipsychotics.

I remember taking the depression meds and willing myself to good health way before the meds had a chance to take effect. A few weeks later I'm exhausted and back to depressed, confused why the meds aren't working anymore (I'm not sure they ever worked at all). I saw no benefit to those meds.

Antipsychotics were different. I saw immediate benefit. It was like for the first time in my life I took a relaxed deep breath. I slept good that night.

But it didn't take long for the side effects to become a significant issue. I was stressed because I couldn't wake up or have a complete thought. For a long time I dragged myself to work and was an ineffective employee. The solution my doctor had was to prescribe the max allowed (It was at this point I considered him a prescription drug dealer. But that's a story for a different thread). I told him that I couldn't function at work on my existing dose but it fell on deaf ears. I stopped taking them cold turkey.

I guess the point of my rambling is that meds are always advertised as benefits with no side effects (insert fine print here).

I'm thankful for autism (assuming I have it) because I feel there is so much to learn without meds. Finally I have a focused direction to travel in. I no longer trust the medical community. In fact I want to visit most of those professionals and remove the diplomas hanging on the wall and tell them 'you can have this back AFTER you have studied Autism'.

We are neurally divergent, with emphasis on the neural. Many drugs don't have the same effect on us as they have on neurally typical people. Coffee doesn't keep me awake, in winter I enjoy a hot cup before going to bed and I sleep like a baby. Speed sobers me up if I'm drunk but appears to have no other effect on me, most boring drug in the world to me. Smoking dope makes me more actively interested in the world around me. Alcohol makes me happy and talkative and brings out my creativity, I cook and I write best after a few beers.

We're a weird mob. :)

I'm somewhere in the middle - big pharma is mostly crap solutions for giant societal problems, but the theory that diseases are all created in our minds is so unbelievably far-fetched that I can't totally subscribe to that, either. There's some truth in it, but I don't know if it accounts for everything.

Some middle-ground would be really nice to see (in my humble opinion), but we live in a world of very polarized people now, so that's equally unlikely. Thankfully we have a say in what we do with our bodies and minds for the most part (in the developed world), so all is pretty fair.

I might be a little biased and extremely grateful of what exists because my body has randomly tried to kill me twice, but sometimes medicine and surgery are a godsend when you need them.
Sorry your body tried to kill you twice.
I was glad of my nose surgery when I had an abscess, it gave me my sense of smell and taste back.
I was just toying with the idea of a potential future scenario.
It's ok if it doesn't resonate with everyone :)

We are neurally divergent, with emphasis on the neural. Many drugs don't have the same effect on us as they have on neurally typical people. Coffee doesn't keep me awake, in winter I enjoy a hot cup before going to bed and I sleep like a baby. Speed sobers me up if I'm drunk but appears to have no other effect on me, most boring drug in the world to me. Smoking dope makes me more actively interested in the world around me. Alcohol makes me happy and talkative and brings out my creativity, I cook and I write best after a few beers.

We're a weird mob. :)
That's ok
With regard to drugs I found ecstasy to be very psychedelic whereby the friend I did it with did not.
I understand some NT's find it psychedelic.
I wonder if we are more sensitive to psychedelics, just me wondering.
I used speed as a "utility drug" as I feel challenged on a day-to-day basis, but I had to stop as it's pretty destructive.
Interesting that alcohol makes you more creative.

"...however, drugs are slowly but surely disappearing."

To quote Gabor Maté's 2022 book - "Nearly 70 percent of Americans are on at least one prescription drug; more than half take two."

Ed
I know, the OP was a fantasy, imagining, I should have said that in it.
I like Dr Gabor Mate.

Sorry but I couldn't think of anything worse than that. I'd put the psychiatrists in a small shed out the back along with the accupuncturists, aromatherapists, and other assorted snake oil salesmen.

I agree with you about Big Pharma, and most general practitioners are nothing more than glorified drug dealers.
I should have said in the OP it's just an imagining I had.
I respect that you have different views to me on psychiatrists and alternate medicine.

One thing I'm thankful for autism (assuming its true for me) is that meds aren't always necessary to treat me. My mental health journey began with me asking for a prescription for depression. Later that prescription turned into antipsychotics.

I remember taking the depression meds and willing myself to good health way before the meds had a chance to take effect. A few weeks later I'm exhausted and back to depressed, confused why the meds aren't working anymore (I'm not sure they ever worked at all). I saw no benefit to those meds.

Antipsychotics were different. I saw immediate benefit. It was like for the first time in my life I took a relaxed deep breath. I slept good that night.

But it didn't take long for the side effects to become a significant issue. I was stressed because I couldn't wake up or have a complete thought. For a long time I dragged myself to work and was an ineffective employee. The solution my doctor had was to prescribe the max allowed (It was at this point I considered him a prescription drug dealer. But that's a story for a different thread). I told him that I couldn't function at work on my existing dose but it fell on deaf ears. I stopped taking them cold turkey.

I guess the point of my rambling is that meds are always advertised as benefits with no side effects (insert fine print here).

I'm thankful for autism (assuming I have it) because I feel there is so much to learn without meds. Finally I have a focused direction to travel in. I no longer trust the medical community. In fact I want to visit most of those professionals and remove the diplomas hanging on the wall and tell them 'you can have this back AFTER you have studied Autism'.
Hello

I take it that you are not officially diagnosed?

That’s ok and sorry if I am wrong.

They put me on antipsychotics also, well Seroquel, it’s antihistamine up to 300mg, then after that dose it’s antispsychotic.

They put me on it for anxiety. It made me retain fluid, so my feet and ankles were really swollen.

Also, for a month, I got the different pill dosages mixed up and took 300mg or over for a month, I felt out of it.

Lots of people say their AD’s don’t work for them. The only benefit I got out of them was sleep with trazodone, but the others never worked, and I don’t agree with them.

I respect that others do agree with antidepressants and antipsychotics though.

I see lots of people prescribed AP’s even though they don’t or have never had psychosis.

I agree that Drs are prescription drug dealers.

It’s disheartening when we don’t feel listened to my clinicians.

Thankfully we don’t get ads for meds in the UK but clinicians hand them out like smarties.

I am thankful I know I am autistic and also BPD as they are explanations to myself of why I am the way I am.

New Threads

Top Bottom