• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

"BFF". Especially when spoken in conversation. Really says something for how flaky and lazy our society has gotten when you have to separate your best friends by how long you intend to stick with them and you can't even say the entire words when you do.

For me, anything having to do with death...

"It kills me that..."

"I'm dying for..."

"...til my dying day"

"Killing time"

And anything that is said wrong, such as "Could care less"

I hate the phrase "moving forward". It was used to excess in Australian politics fairly recently, and I'm pretty sure it was borrowed from US politics. It is such a completely useless filler phrase, essentially meaning "in the future" but it is always superfluous to the sentence, which would sound better without it; as in "We will be returning the budget to surplus, moving forward". Whenever I hear it used by a politician, I'm on the lookout for spin. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I expect that as opinion polls reflect the public's hatred of politician's meaningless drivel, we will be hearing less of this phrase "moving forward" moving forward. :D
Is that Freud in your profile picture? : ) LOL

"Same difference"

People say this A LOT where I come from, and it's supposed to mean something like "Whatever, they're basically the same" usually when comparing two objects. This drives me crazy because in order to have a "same difference" you have to have at least three subjects.
For instance, if one had a doorknob, a snail, and a manatee, one could say that the manatee and the snail have the "same difference" from the doorknob. They are both living creatures and the doorknob is not.

However, people always use this in the context of two objects, trying to state that the two subjects are basically the same. Like whenever someone says: "Me and my mum went to this Aztec Mayan pyramid over the holiday" and when I point out that Mayans and Aztecs are two distinct social groups, they say "Same Difference", meaning "Shut up, Madame Catfish. They're the same thing."

"That's just life"

Nice way to fob off or belittle anyone's issues. I wasn't thrown off the turnip truck yesterday. An expression used by people with no idea what they're saying :D

And my family's favourite phrases of all time, which you can't go a day without hearing :D

"Shut up" and "shut the f**k up"
"Take a joke, what's wrong with you"
"You're a mardy little bugger"
"Little bleeder, you are"
"That's just what a f**king little student like you would say"
"F**king teenager" (even out of my teens!)

Needless to say I only grew a voice after I left home :D

the word or phrase "grok that", fake words that are supposedly mimicking speech (because I cannot tell if it is ridicule), and being called "dear", or "sweetie" or other similar terms.

Two phrases - "As dull as dishwater" and "A bit of a damp squid"
Both REALLY annoy me and make me laugh at the same time.

"Don't do your dirty laundry in public ?" Well of course I have to if I don't have a washing machine at home.

I have to go down the public launderette or else wear the same clothes endlessly and have people saying I stink ?

the word or phrase "grok that",

The work grok comes from Robert Heinlein's novel Stranger in a Strange Land and so completely explains a concept that has no existing word in our human language, therefore it requires a new word.

Clearly you are NOT a real science-fiction fan. :mad:

The work grok comes from Robert Heinlein's novel Stranger in a Strange Land...
Have you read it? Is it good? I'm nerdy enough to know what the word means (hey, its even in most dictionaries now), but I haven't read the book yet.

Last edited:
Today I found a new phrase I dislike...

"Yer 'avin a larf!"

After listening to someone say that after each third sentence for three hours in a confined space, I can assure you...

"No I'm not!!"

Have you read it? Is it good? I'm nerdy enough to know what the word means (hey, its even in most dictionaries now), but I haven't read the book yet.

The recipe/concept for memorial soup is interesting.
Sometimes needs salt, though. ;)

I love the concept of the "water brother". If only there was such deepness here instead I'm drowning in mundanity.

I love the concept of the "water brother". If only there was such deepness here instead I'm drowning in mundanity.

The similar concept of "blood brother" seems limited compared with the concept of "water brother."
Not all life forms contain blood, but they do all contain moisture/water,
much to the disgust of the Crystalline Entity.

New Threads

Top Bottom