• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The End Of DSLR Cameras ?

Technology always evolves, even in the pre-computer age

I've heard from a number of people who have predicted (even four years ago) the increasing popularity of mirrorless vs. dSLR... I think both of them have validity and do different things well

The one thing I see with dSLR is that the price point is lower, good for people starting out... And I think mirrorless is a more challenging camera to work with compared to a dSLR

True, technology evolves but quality is another matter. Years ago in the 60s I could commit to certain brand names that didn't magically stop working. I still have a Canon AE-1 and A-1 that works as well as the day I bought them in the 80s. But my days of using film cameras are gone for good. Digital is so much better, especially if one can master Photoshop.

That said, my present Canon DSLR still works just fine. Though whether there's a magic date in which it no longer performs well or at all remains to be seen. Though I suspect in a few years I'll be dead and someone else like my cousin will go on using that same camera.

The one thing I continue to hear from retailers is how the cellphone industry will eventually overwhelm the camera industry altogether. If it happens, it will probably occur after I'm gone. Some years back I thought the notion was absurd. Not so much now. Heard from one too many people who take non-critical pictures and are thrilled with their cellphones. That's just not me. And probably not you either.

I mostly use the Fuji 10-24 lens ($1400 :oops:) for street and pretty much anything else I shoot and/or the 23 mm F/2 lens... I rarely use a focal length beyond 24, clearly, but do have a 55-200 I use sometimes...

Nice. If you do get another mirrorless body, it may be even smaller. More convenient for your kind of work.

But then truth be told I seldom use my 55-250mm zoom lens. So cumbersome !

Going lower than 24mm just not my thing. Not much opportunity to use them optimally. But having an 18-55mm zoom leaves the door open....lol.

Last edited:
True, technology evolves but quality is another matter. Years ago in the 60s I could commit to certain brand names that didn't magically stop working. I still have a Canon AE-1 and A-1 that works as well as the day I bought them in the 80s. But my days of using film cameras are gone for good. Digital is so much better, especially if one can master Photoshop.

That said, my present Canon DSLR still works just fine. Though whether there's a magic date in which it no longer performs well or at all remains to be seen. Though I suspect in a few years I'll be dead and someone else like my cousin will go on using that same camera. The one thing I continue to hear from retailers is how the cellphone industry will eventually overwhelm the camera industry altogether. If it happens, it will probably occur after I'm gone.

Prior to Fuji gear, I used a pair of Nikon's (D70s first, then a D90) for almost 150K total frames on each camera... Most cameras that you spend that much money on can last a long time

Only problem is that it's hard to restore electronic bits (digital) compared to getting an old film camera restored, more expensive digital cameras can be worth a repair job... Those cheap compact cameras are rarely worth repairing when they die... And modern cell phone cameras have basically replaced that market anyway...

I personally think there will always be a market for higher end cameras, I don't like using my smart phone for photography, I prefer using a camera and the camera view finder, I rarely use the LCD screen to compose

I personally think there will always be a market for higher end cameras, I don't like using my smart phone for photography, I prefer using a camera and the camera view finder, I rarely use the LCD screen to compose

Totally agree. I've never used the LCD screen. Difficult to view in strong light and it wears the battery down faster.

So I take it the view finder in a digital mirrorless camera is just as accurate in an SLR ? I never gave it much thought! Hopefully nothing like the old premium rangefinder cameras. Highly reliable, but I never liked that offset viewfinder. Something I periodically saw in many slides taken by my father with his 35mm rangefinder camera.

Last edited:
My two main camera bodies are my mirrorless Canon R5 and my Canon 5Ds dSLR. I'm starting to favour the mirrorless - its' the one I shoot with most now. It's still a hefty camera body by the way. I'm not all that worried about the move to mirrorless.

I'm a DSLR user myself, picked up the Canon 5D mk IV while in Japan. I think I'll be sticking with the DSLR for a while as I've invested too much to switch now.

I saw a Swedish camera a while ago, it was called Hasselblad H4D-200MS. And it cost $45 000!! :eek: Those Swedes know how to make a ridiculously expensive camera.

I saw a Swedish camera a while ago, it was called Hasselblad H4D-200MS. And it cost $45 000!! :eek: Those Swedes know how to make a ridiculously expensive camera.
Holy crap!!! What does it look like?
I think the most I've ever spent on a camera was a few thousand. I can't afford fancy technology lol

Holy crap!!! What does it look like?
I think the most I've ever spent on a camera was a few thousand. I can't afford fancy technology lol

This is the mysterious Hasselblad, it has 200 megapixels and some kind of magical Swedish technology I think. Built by magical Swedish forest fairies in an enchanted forest. :)

hasselblad.jpg

Last edited:
This is the mysterious Hasselblad, it has 200 megapixels and some kind of magical Swedish technology I think.

View attachment 83264
It actually looks kind of cool, at least visually. I would have to look up specs and stuff to get a sense of what it actually does.

But it's not like I will ever be able to afford it in my lifetime. Lol. I would rather put that amount of money towards a house or a car. The last house I was looking at was like $350,000. I don't think I could afford that anytime soon if I spent $45k on a camera (even still, I can't afford a $350K house at the moment either!)

But it's a nice camera and it probably does some really cool stuff, if it's that expensive. Plus Sweden is cool :)

It actually looks kind of cool, at least visually. I would have to look up specs and stuff to get a sense of what it actually does.

But it's not like I will ever be able to afford it in my lifetime. Lol. I would rather put that amount of money towards a house or a car. The last house I was looking at was like $350,000. I don't think I could afford that anytime soon if I spent $45k on a camera (even still, I can't afford a $350K house at the moment either!)

But it's a nice camera and it probably does some really cool stuff, if it's that expensive. Plus Sweden is cool :)
At that price I should be able to drive it to work every day. :) And it should come with a chunk of gold when you buy it. But Sweden is pretty cool indeed, I always enjoy being there.

Heard from one too many people who take non-critical pictures and are thrilled with their cellphones. That's just not me. And probably not you either.
That is and isn't me. I don't always cart around full gear as it's just not practical. My high quality mobile phone camera lets me get shots that are good enough and look fine as a print unless you're two inches from it trying to find flaws. Relevant blog post:

Mobile photography hasn't replaced my high-end camera bodies, but I now have more opportunities to do good photography than I did in years past. It's sure nice to always have a camera with you.

Mobile photography hasn't replaced my high-end camera bodies, but I now have more opportunities to do good photography than I did in years past. It's sure nice to always have a camera with you.
That's admittedly one big advantage one has with cellphones. Being able to be in the right place at the right time with decent enough camera. My DSLR is simply too bulky be lugging it around all the time...even though it's considered to be in a smaller body. Can't exactly tuck it into my pocket like a cellphone.

But that in itself isn't enough for me to go out and get a cellphone with a decent camera. I'll stick with my DSLR until it either dies or I die. Which ever comes first. Though none of my Canon cameras have ever "died".

But that in itself isn't enough for me to go out and get a cellphone with a decent camera. I'll stick with my DSLR until it either dies or I die. Which ever comes first. Though none of my Canon cameras have ever "died".
I have worn out three Canons so far: G7 Powershot (bricked), EOS 350D Digital Rebel (worn out reflex assembly), and EOS 7D (sensor fried).

I get asked to recommend cameras a lot. The best answer I can give is that people should use whatever camera inspires them to get out and make images. Use the camera you enjoy using.

I have worn out three Canons so far: G7 Powershot (bricked), EOS 350D Digital Rebel (worn out reflex assembly), and EOS 7D (sensor fried).

I get asked to recommend cameras a lot. The best answer I can give is that people should use whatever camera inspires them to get out and make images. Use the camera you enjoy using.

My three Canons are an AE-1 (purchased 1986), and A-1 (purchased 1987) and a Rebel XS DSLR (purchased 2008). To date I've never had a problem with my DSLR. But then it's not nearly as extravagant as other models. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Of course I haven't used my two film SLRs since 2008, though they both still work just fine. Before that time I was developing my own b/w prints. Then in 2008, I went digital and never looked back. Especially having learned Photoshop about twelve years earlier.

New Threads

Top Bottom