• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The End Of DSLR Cameras ?

Judge

V.I.P Member
It appears to be true...in that both Nikon and Canon appear to have ended production of DSLRs, in favor of mirrorless technology first and foremost when it comes to their better line of cameras. Oh well...my Canon DSLR still works just great and will probably last longer than I will. Though the reality is that it sounds worse than it actually will be. Although the mirrorless cameras seem to cost more...but then what else is new?

Last edited:
Noooo!!! I love my DSLR camera and it takes way better pictures than phone cameras or less expensive/lesser quality cameras.
But no one even really uses cameras anymore since smartphones were invented.
:(

Yeah, I really like my am-level T7, but admittedly I don't know the difference yet because I'm a bit of a noob. What does this change, and do mirrorless cameras suck?

Probably the most significant issue is that your DSLR lenses will not likely be interchangeable with the newer mirrorless camera bodies. Meaning if you have a nice collection of high-quality DSLR lenses, you'll have to buy them all over again if you purchase a mirrorle$$ camera body from the major camera manufacturers. Professional photographers will probably not be amused.

Mirrorless cameras are noticeably smaller than DSLRs, mainly because their technology eliminates the need for all the mirrors that make a DSLR more bulky in size.

The one question I have is whether or not the major manufacturers will cease production of the software used to easily transfer digital images from older DSLRs to the latest Microsoft operating systems. They may not, forcing users to abandon perfectly good DSLRs in favor of mirrorless cameras that Windows 11 or later will support.

Something I have to deal with as Canon refuses to develop DSLR software for Linux operating systems. Instead of using the software, I must simply take out the SD card and insert it into the card reader on my computer.

Whatever it takes to create those return customers in the "2.0 era"....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
A continuing stream of abandoned formats!

My first camera to bite the dust was the Polaroid.
Then the 110 film-cassette camera
Then the micro-Minolta
And the 35mm film SLR
Next was the Canon L2, an analog S-video camera with interchangeable lenses
Now the Pentax DSLR??

Well, at least the pinhole camera is still useable! :)

Kodak 110 film....lol. Hellish to develop. That was the camera I used in high school photography, 1974. :eek:

Got good at developing my own B/W film...but it was a pain. Converting to digital in 2008 and I never looked back.

But it seems anything connected to the computer industry inevitably falls to planned obsolescence so manufacturers can force repeat customers....and make chumps out of everyone. The "2.0 era" strikes again. Though as long as my Canon DSLR works, it's all a moot point.

LOL...Now who is the chump? That's what Canon gets for making good products in the past. Perhaps these more expensive mirrorless cameras will not last as long on purpose.

Kodak 110 film....lol. Hellish to develop. That was the camera I used in high school photography, 1974. :eek:
Good grief.....getting that B/w 35mm film onto those metal spiral reels sometimes was a chore. I remember sweating in the dark trying to free the film of an obstruction while working the film on.....fellow students banging on the door to get their film ready (1976)
But 110 I can't fathom, it is just so tiny. Was it B/w or color?
Just looked at Amazon- Kodak D-76 is still available!
Got good at developing my own B/W film...but it was a pain. Converting to digital in 2008 and I never looked back.

But it seems anything connected to the computer industry inevitably falls to planned obsolescence so manufacturers can force repeat customers....and make chumps out of everyone. The "2.0 era" strikes again. Though as long as my Canon DSLR works, it's all a moot point.
Yup.
LOL...Now who is the chump? That's what Canon gets for making good products in the past. Perhaps these more expensive mirrorless cameras will not last as long on purpose.

Good grief.....getting that B/w 35mm film onto those metal spiral reels sometimes was a chore. I remember sweating in the dark trying to free the film of an obstruction while working the film on.....fellow students banging on the door to get their film ready (1976)
But 110 I can't fathom, it is just so tiny. Was it B/w or color?
Just looked at Amazon- Kodak D-76 is still available!

Yup.
Yeah, you get it. Getting the 110 b/w film onto a reel was a nightmare. Not to mention that it had a "leader" attached to it that you had to tear away from the film. Otherwise it was possible to roll the leader onto the reel and not the film itself. Made 35mm film seem easy to wrap around the reel in comparison.

Last edited:
I've been entirely a mirrorless guy for at least seven years now (Fuji XT series)

I wouldn't personally go back to dSLR, also my Nikon D90 was on its last legs when I purchased my first Fuji, but I'm also known for taking well over 100K frames

Don't have time to read the articles, my bed beckons... I am aware that dSLR come in at a lower price point, and Fuji certainly isn't a cheap camera system to get into...

I've been entirely a mirrorless guy for at least seven years now (Fuji XT series)
Which model of XT do you have? And what lenses ? I noticed one of them (Fuji XT-1) seems to physically emulate a more traditional DSLR while being a mirrorless camera.

Makes me wonder if Canon and Nikon would make any new models like that just to make the transition easier for some who still love their DSLRs. I know Canon's existing mirrorless cameras don't seem to appear like DSLRs at all.

Which model of XT do you have? And what lenses ? I noticed one of them (Fuji XT-1) seems to physically emulate a more traditional DSLR while being a mirrorless camera.

Makes me wonder if Canon and Nikon would make any new models like that just to make the transition easier for some who still love their DSLRs. I know Canon's existing mirrorless cameras don't seem to appear like DSLRs at all.

Mirrorless cameras in general look like old film cameras... Mirrorless is simply the digital form of a rangefinder film camera... Leica being the most famous rangefinder film cameras...

I have the X-T1, and people often think it's a film camera

Mirrorless cameras in general look like old film cameras... Mirrorless is simply the digital form of a rangefinder film camera... Leica being the most famous rangefinder film cameras...

I have the X-T1, and people often think it's a film camera

I googled it, it really does look like an old film camera at first glance.

the biggest change to going mirrorless for me was good underwater focusing speed. Prior I used to get pictures of fish butts. Now it is easier getting a good shot. I have an Inon flash which also follows the preflash protocol for good exposures. When photographing underwater it is not IF your housing will flood, but WHEN. Mirrorless is cheaper, so the economic pain at a loss is better. I also use mine for astrophotography. With a 500 mm lens, effectively 1,000 mm. Here is a pic from the total eclipse of 2017. The instant before totality. I always wanted to get the "diamond ring" effect. No filtering, asa 200, 1/500 of a second.
FB_IMG_1514587686411.jpg

Probably the most significant issue is that your DSLR lenses will not likely be interchangeable with the newer mirrorless camera bodies. Meaning if you have a nice collection of high-quality DSLR lenses, you'll have to buy them all over again if you purchase a mirrorle$$ camera body from the major camera manufacturers. Professional photographers will probably not be amused.

Mirrorless cameras are noticeably smaller than DSLRs, mainly because their technology eliminates the need for all the mirrors that make a DSLR more bulky in size.

The one question I have is whether or not the major manufacturers will cease production of the software used to easily transfer digital images from older DSLRs to the latest Microsoft operating systems. They may not, forcing users to abandon perfectly good DSLRs in favor of mirrorless cameras that Windows 11 or later will support.

Something I have to deal with as Canon refuses to develop DSLR software for Linux operating systems. Instead of using the software, I must simply take out the SD card and insert it into the card reader on my computer.

Whatever it takes to create those return customers in the "2.0 era"....:rolleyes:
LOL! That is the only way I ever transfer images.

The term for it is "planned obsolescence" and it has been around for a century.

LOL! That is the only way I ever transfer images.
Well, a monkey could probably take out an SD card and insert it into a card reader. That's not the point.

I liked Canon's software as it could quickly and efficiently collate/batch large numbers of images into custom directories with custom names and numbers for each frame, as well as set their resolution and image format. All I had to do was to connect the camera to a USB port and the programming did the rest. Easy-peasy.

Merely transferring digital images directly from an SD card to a card reader doesn't accomplish any of those tasks. Having worked professionally in graphic and web design I never had the luxury of working at anything other than quickly and productively with the right tools. I convert images as I archive them to save space and time.

Planned obsolescence? You're preaching to the choir. I understand it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I can afford to lose such functionality to maintain the use of a perfectly good but older computer running on a better and more private OS than Windows.

It's precisely why I'm on Linux right now instead of Micro$oft. ;)

Last edited:
January 10, 2015 (a long time ago), I went to our local camera store with a Christmas gift card in hand, I walked away with a great deal on a Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 lens... It was a rush decision, but I also knew the reputation of Fuji mirrorless camera, so...

That same evening it snowed, so I took the camera outside for a test drive, why not? :p After that day I rarely used my old Nikon D90 any more at all, it was rather broken but somewhat usable at that point...

One of those photos, in low light of a winter evening...

Fuji 01.jpg

About a week later was Lake Louise, for the Ice Magic ice carving competition weekend...

Fuji 02.jpg

Fuji 03.jpg

Fuji 04.jpg

But there was still a learning curve, ahem...

Fuji 05.jpg

January 10, 2015 (a long time ago), I went to our local camera store with a Christmas gift card in hand, I walked away with a great deal on a Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 lens... It was a rush decision, but I also knew the reputation of Fuji mirrorless camera, so...

That same evening it snowed, so I took the camera outside for a test drive, why not? :p After that day I rarely used my old Nikon D90 any more at all, it was rather broken but somewhat usable at that point...

One of those photos, in low light of a winter evening...

View attachment 82890

About a week later was Lake Louise, for the Ice Magic ice carving competition weekend...

View attachment 82891

View attachment 82892

View attachment 82893

But there was still a learning curve, ahem...

View attachment 82894
I'm thinking that an 18-55mm lens would be ideal for the most part with street photography. My brother has used a Fuji camera for a long time. Can't knock them either.

Technology always evolves, even in the pre-computer age

I've heard from a number of people who have predicted (even four years ago) the increasing popularity of mirrorless vs. dSLR... I think both of them have validity and do different things well

The one thing I see with dSLR is that the price point is lower, good for people starting out... And I think mirrorless is a more challenging camera to work with compared to a dSLR

I'm thinking that an 18-55mm lens would be ideal for the most part with street photography. My brother has used a Fuji camera for a long time. Can't knock them either.

I mostly use the Fuji 10-24 lens ($1400 :oops:) for street and pretty much anything else I shoot and/or the 23 mm F/2 lens... I rarely use a focal length beyond 24, clearly, but do have a 55-200 I use sometimes...

New Threads

Top Bottom