• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Dreaded PIP Form

I have been on PIP and whatever it was called before that almost ten years now.

The last reassessment or when I had to go down with my social worker to se someone must be near three years ago now.

It was funny because I wasn't in there ten minutes, after a few questions the man said he thought he had seen enough!

The test is just check-box and point-scoring though isn't it? You need 21 points or more, something like that anyway, don't quote me.

The test is just check-box and point-scoring though isn't it? You need 21 points or more, something like that anyway, don't quote me.

It's tick boxes and then space to write as much as you can think of to convince them. You need 8-12 points for each component (daily living and mobility) to get the standard rate and over 12 for enhanced.

It's tick boxes and then space to write as much as you can think of to convince them. You need 8-12 points for each component (daily living and mobility) to get the standard rate and over 12 for enhanced.

Something like that, I mean my score was 21 I think overall.

So, my husband spoke to the DWP on my behalf 2 weeks ago, when they asked if it would be better to have the assessment at our house instead of me having to go to an assessment centre.

Just had a letter today saying the assessment will be 20th May, so a lot sooner than expected. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Let us know how it goes. The one for my daughter was ok. But there are also horror stories.

I think you need to remember what you wrote in the form and stay consistent with that during visit. They might zoom on particular points they want to rule out, so remember you rationale and act accordingly.

I forgot to update this after the assessment. It didn't start so well, as my husband had been told by the DWP that he would be able to speak for me without being my appointee. They said he would only need to be appointee if I wasn't going to be present, but if he wasn't one, I would have to be present but he could speak. Didn't take long for the assessor to say "if she won't engage with me I can't do the assessment" and that he could only speak for me if he was my appointee.

Eventually I said I would speak, but I don't think she probably got as much info as she wanted/ husband could have provided as I didn't want to speak to her, and the change in what I was expecting meant my mind went blank a lot.

She was here about 40 mins, and said I'll hear in about 6 weeks from the DWP, when I fully expect to be turned down.

Try to relax now. If they refuse, you will have to go to appeal and that mandatory reconsideration, if I am not mistaken. Then you will have another chance to put everything across, emphasizing the things the assessor ignored and explain well that couldn't say everything and went blank during the home visit. As you did here. Apparently the majority of appeals succeed. It's a horrible uncertainty and a long wait.

As expected, I was turned down. Also as expected, the form is a full of inaccuracies and to be honest, outright lies. My favourite was that I made "adequate and sustained eye contact with the assessor throughout". I've never made adequate or sustained eye contact with anyone, not even my husband, who I've been with for the past 13 years.

On to the mandatory reconsideration.

New Threads

Top Bottom