• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome 2014-02-10

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
Vanilla submitted a new resource:

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, by Tony Attwood - Asperger's Syndrome

"The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" is the definitive handbook for anyone affected by Asperger's syndrome (AS). It brings together a wealth of information on all aspects of the syndrome for children through to adults.

Drawing on case studies and personal accounts from Attwood's extensive clinical experience, and from his correspondence with individuals with AS, this book is both authoritative and extremely accessible.

The chapters examine: causes and indications of the syndrome; the...

Read more about this resource...

Just FYI, I have the Kindle version, and it is very useful to have it in that format due to the highlighting options and features allowing you to see where others have highlighted/quoted him.

I have and would recommend this book, although as a woman I found Aspergirls to be almost equally useful, and waaaaay shorter.

I have and would recommend this book, although as a woman I found Aspergirls to be almost equally useful, and waaaaay shorter.

Yeah, Attwood's book is quite long. He writes well, but I suppose you could skim the sections that apply less to your situation since he uses good headers to separate sections.

Still, it is good that there is a shorter alternative out there for women.

I have pretty much read the parts that I was interested in(so almost all of the book) and I must say, it was extremely useful. It really helped me figure myself out. I would recommend it. Even though it is not exactly short, it's easy to read and well-written.

Excellent book!
In fact it was the first book I have ever read about Asperger's Syndrome.
It's not a short book, but I didn't mind. I enjoyed every word of it.
It's also very easy to understand, even for someone like me, who is not a brain-surgeon. :D
Although it was scary sometimes, because I felt he wrote the book about me. Especially when he described the adolescent years...

Yes: this book was a catalyst for me. I chanced upon a copy in a charity shop while I was staying with my Dad in 2013, and started glancing through it. I'd already taken the ASQ test, and was curious to learn more/pursue diagnosis. It appeared at the right time in my life. On the bus back to Hull from Beverley, I was reading bits, then pointing to them and passing it over to my Dad. He also read the book. So much fell into place... We were just sorry that it was just a few months after my mother's death: it would have made sense of so many of the problems in my relationship with her (I couldn't play the kind of daughter role she expected), and the fact her brother, too, was patently an (undiagnosed) autist...

I then decided to go ahead with getting a formal diagnosis.

I glanced at this book on a walk. Disappointed? Nah, tormented better retroreflectively characterizes my sentiment for those wasted hours I can't get back. Hmmph.

New Threads

Top Bottom