• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Benefits Of Having A Job

Lee954

Apart from the salary, what do think the main benefit of having a job is? For me it would be the dignity and social acceptance that would come with being employed...far more important than the money to me.

Apart from the salary, what do think the main benefit of having a job is? For me it would be the dignity and social acceptance that would come with being employed...far more important than the money to me.

For me I like being able to use skills I've learned in a productive manner. The dignity and social acceptance that being employed is able to brings me is comforting. It's comforting to know that dispite all of my problems associated with having autism that I'm capable of something.

Personally I refuse to acknowledge that work ultimately defines a person's identity.

That neither my personal dignity or social acceptance should be so intrinsically tied to a local or global economy.

It's true- it's good to have a job. Any job. But that's not what I'm all about.

I was quite and afraid to talk to most people. After working retail for a while talking to people became a every day thing I just had to do. I feel a lot more confident talking to people now.

I've learned a lot of social skills/rules while working. In my last job I learned that "Thank you" can be a polite dismissal. In my current job I've learned that making eye contact encourages people to talk to you. I've also learned that silence is a very powerful response to people who tease me, especially if they're doing it just for a reaction. If you don't respond, they get uncomfortable and don't know what to do. That's extremely satisfying to watch. ;)
Unfortunately I've also learned that many older men like to hit on young women. Sometimes they're the same ones who tease for a reaction. I ignore them when I can. Like Scrooge McDuck said in the new video game, "I'm not even going to dignify that question with a response."

Last edited:
I've been doing voluntary work for over 20 years, yet I still get criticised for not working for money and being on benefits! Not my fault nobody will employ me and my job applications get binned as soon as I declare that I am disabled and have AS.

I've been doing voluntary work for over 20 years, yet I still get criticised for not working for money and being on benefits! Not my fault nobody will employ me and my job applications get binned as soon as I declare that I am disabled and have AS.
Maybe try not disclosing until after you get the job? I do this.

New Threads

Top Bottom