• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thank-You Notes

KwiSpen

I think I might have done a bad thing. A little backstory, I'm the treasurer at a club at my school and we just had an event for finals. Half of the executive board did not come and the food came late. The president's bright idea, and I use those terms VERY loosely, was for everyone to write thank-you notes to their predecessors who pitched in in their absence, framed as a punishment. Notice I typed everyone instead of just the people who didn't come. Even I, who was the first one there and did legwork for problems that occurred, was punished with writing a thank-you note. It was a sham, and I made sure she knew so. I questioned why I had to write a thank-you note even though I pitched in. She, the president, who didn't write a note, gave me a spiel about teamwork and respect. I quickly rebutted that with my own spiel about honesty, saying that they should respect how I feel as a team. She knew she was beat, however stood her ground about the thank-you note. So I wrote to my predecessor about the stupidity of the project while relaying my appreciation for his work. After the silliness ended, I ran into a former executive of the club, telling him the situation. He didn't seem to interested, so I just told him that we were writing them thank-you notes. He just gave me a thumbs up and he went on his way. I'm still fuming at the situation. When I got home, I screamed at my wall, which made me feel a bit better.

I'm saying all of this not just because I need to rant, but I felt absolutely nothing for the feelings of the president, and I'm feeling very bad about that now. Should I feel bad for what I did? Was what I did bad?

If this thread should go elsewhere, tell me. Thank you for your time.

I'd be irritated, too, if I were compelled to do a penance I didn't owe. Frankly, I'd be more annoyed that a class president would turn writing a thank-you note into a negative exercise.

Should you have resisted? No. Was it a bit childish to turn your thank-you note into a vent? Yes. Should her feelings be a concern? Depends on what you said, and what the consequences could be for you. Should you feel bad about it now? Again, depends on what you said to her. But what's done is done, and it's not the end of the world. If you feel conflicted about your behaviour, take the next opportunity to apologise, then let it go.

Ste11aeres, I'll probably forget about it, since finals are about.

Nadador, both irritants are apt. I probably shouldn't have resisted as much as I did, but I don't feel bad about using the note as a rant, especially since I've just gotten word that the recipient of the letter was amused by it. I didn't say anything scathing, at least I don't think, but I did yell some things in the security of my own room, if that matters. I don't know about apology, since I meant everything I said, but I'll sleep on it.

Another thing is that the club responsible for bringing the food delegated the duty, and it seemed like the people who delivered the food were unenthusiastic and unapologetic, bordering on apathetic. The liaison from that club was at the meeting tonight, albeit 15 minutes late, and it was the job of the Prez and VP to let the liaison know what happened, and I felt like they didn't do a good job. So I took the opportunity to chew out the club to him. I was pretty light, but I let him know what I felt about the delegation. I have no sympathy or empathy about that, and I don't feel like I should.

Lol I laugh because I am EXACTLY like you, in every detail!

The problem is that we get laughed at for being so rigid with the injustice of it all and told to: loosen up man (or woman, in my case), which I hate!

You know, year's ago, I was going out with this lad; we were both 18 (now 44) and in those days, to listen to music, we used something called: a walkman (I believe they still exist, but in a more fancy form). Well I borrowed his, with his ok, but to look after it and so, when not listening to music, I put it on the top of my wardrobe and when I went to give it back, much to my utmost horror, it was not there and as usual, I could not quite grasp this fact and so, was hunting for it (not that it could be hidden) but I was just so gutted and then pretty soon, my beloved 12 year old sister confessed that she had found it and now, can't find it! I asked how the heck did she know to look there? She had spied on me putting it up! So with terrible shame, indignation because of her and embarrassment, I told my boyfriend what had happened and instead of him being good about it, he shouted and said that he would never trust me with his belongings again and I was soooo angry with him and kept repeating over and over that I had done my part, in hiding it and it was not my fault if my sister spied on me and stole it! Nope, he chose to not take that in to account and I tell you, I could have hit both him and her!

Well, fast forward, to being married to another man and relating the experience to him, fully expecting him to be in sound agreement with me, he blew me away with agreeing with my ex boyfriend, which stupidly, resulted in an argument between us, but I could not back down, for I knew I was not in the wrong! My husband kept arguing that I was given the responsibility of looking after it and failed!

Just a month ago, we were reading something in our study (we are Jehovah's Witnesses) and wow lol suddenly my husband turns to me and APOLOGIES to me and said, that it is rather plain to see that Jehovah (God) did not hold me responsible for the reasoning is that if you do all you can to look after some thing and someone else comes along and steals it, then that responsibility is not on your shoulders again. In fact, my sister should have spoken to my ex boyfriend and confessed what she did and that she would endeavor to get him a replacement and then I would have been happy to help, because she was sorry!

I find it very hard to back down, when it is not my fault!

Reminds me of third grade when one or two kids would go bouncing off the walls together then the whole class would have to write "I will be quiet" a hundred times and turn it in. I'll have to be sure and thank Mom again tomorrow for homeschooling me.

New Threads

Top Bottom