• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Terrible at math average grades.

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friends?
V.I.P Member
When I was in school I was terrible at math so bad that when I heard about Aspergers I though I did not have it. My teachers thought I had an learning disability because of my poor math and average C grades.

Because of this I never completed College flunked out and only worked once. This was all over 20 years ago.

My question is can someone have Asperger's but be generally bad academic?

Good as I was bought up saying I had a learning disability later learning that it was not true.

I’m pretty great academically, except for math. I always had a lot of trouble with math.

When I was in school I only liked geography, photography, art classes and computers (which were primitive back then pre Windows 95) but I figured them out and got great grades in those subjects. It was Math and Science that I passed with a D and other subjects even English and History I was bad at with a C-.

I must have been smart because I could remember all 80 cable channels (even when they kept moving them around), TV commercials, songs, movie trailers, quotes, word for word and finishing video games but I could not remember how to add fractions, multiply or who was the President of the US in 1832 no matter how many times I studied it why because it either so boring or anxiety never had any friends or study groups was left out. My Grandmother was the only one who studied with me for hours to try to remember anything. If it is was not for her I would have gotten left back.

I also remember that I performed much better in smaller classrooms than larger ones.

Last edited:
Been through all the usual school stuff and have an associate's degree in computer science.

Still cant do math.

Addition / subtraction? Sure, I guess. Multiplication? I'll do it slowly and am fairly likely to make mistakes, but okay. Division? All I've got for you there is a simple blank stare.

Anything past that? Screw it, I'm gonna fling this can of Pringles at you, go away.

Yeah... just cant do it. Never could. But also, I grew up with computers. As far as I am concerned, these machines do the bloody math so I dont have to. Granted I have to have frequent arguements with them when Windows spazzes out, but... worth it, to not have to do math.

Honestly, I blame the education system for making everything so freakishly boring. I mean, the people around me seem to consider me to be very smart. Okay, fine. I dont particularly feel smart after doing something like losing my 3-foot keychain because it was in my other hand, but okay. But none of the stuff I know really came from school. School taught me exactly three things: reading, writing, and much later on, how to type. 12 bloody years of torment and the highest one was keyboard skills. Yaaaaaay. But other than that? I tell you this: droning on at kids for hours on end about subjects they're very clearly not interested in is not very productive. If they WANTED to get me to utterly despise both math and history, well, they succeeded in that one. I clearly had no real interest, but they forced me to sit through it anyway. They didnt get me to despise computers because this was back in the early DOS days... they didnt really use computers in the schools much (except in the specific "computer lab", but I usually just snuck in there during recess to play pirated games that I got from who knows where). I usually then just didnt pay attention in most classes. Math in particular. I vaguely remember them trying to teach algebra. I also remember not listening to a bit of it. For all I know, the process of solving algebra problems may involve goat sacrifices under a blood moon. Wouldnt surprise me.

As it is, pretty much all of the stuff I do know, I learned out of school on my own.

I always told my parents over and over again, back then, that school was a waste of time, and that homework was even more of a waste of time. "Oh, but you'll NEED all this stuff about who won the Battle of the Sporks in 1723!!! It's important! You'll NEED all this algebra and goat sacrificing!!!"

HAH. Guess I won that round.

I need my caffeine, I'm getting loopy again.

Horrible at math. I went into science and had to memorize formulas as I couldn't usually figure them out. But, I'm good at a lot of other subjects.

Never thought I was particularly good in math. Yet I spent much of my adult life in finance using math. :eek:

My karma. :oops:

Also hate maths, the rest of skewl I breezed through easily but maths, ugh, could not and cannot memorize formulae, the only reason I passed is I had to invent my own formulae in exams, which was very time consuming.

Not so interested in science either, can pass but meh.

I think it's like a maths dyslexia thing, I'm pretty sure there's a jargon name for people with autism who are bad/dyslexic at maths, but I can't remember the jargon word, maybe someone else knows.

I must have been smart because I could remember all 80 cable channels (even when they kept moving them around), TV commercials, songs, movie trailers, quotes, word for word and finishing video games but I could not remember how to add fractions, multiply or who was the President of the US in 1832 no matter how many times I studied it why because it either so boring or anxiety never had any friends or study groups was left out. My Grandmother was the only one who studied with me for hours to try to remember anything. If it is was not for her I would have gotten left back.

I also remember that I performed much better in smaller classrooms than larger ones.
It’s weird I can do the same thing with TV channels couldn’t do maths to save my life Or biology or geometry or physics or religious studies ,could do art that was it, this said that the private school I managed to speak a language that was made up of French German and Italian so obviously languages isn’t my thing

I got decent grades overall until college, except for math. When I was a kid, I had the stereotypical Aspie memory, but in junior high math really became a struggle for me, and I came very close to having to retake a few math and chemistry classes in college. At one point in college I got an academic warning (which I think is the step before getting put on academic probation) because my overall grades were so low. I think a large part of my problem with college, though, was that I never learned to study properly because until then, I hadn't really needed to. But math and chemistry have always been my worst subjects.

I have always had bad grades in school. Aspergers, learning difficulties, and major personal problems seems to have contributed a lot to it. Have always needed help from PPT (Pedagogisk Psykologisk Tjeneste [Educational and Psychological Service]) with my education. Had special education in Mathematics, English, and Norwegian (and didn't get graded on Nynorsk).
I can't do anything more than basic addition/subtraction and multiplication/division in my head. I can understand more complex mathematics, when using things like calculators.

grades.jpg
Just some grades i had laying around from first year in upper secondary school. (1 Bad, 6 Good)

I was ok at geometry, but really struggled with algebra. Too abstract.

I also got C grades throughout, and never managed to finish all the questions before I ran out of time, which was another problem, but nonetheless, I managed a B at O level (my year was the last before GCSEs were introduced in the UK.

An average grade is not a bad grade... it's just that, average.

New Threads

Top Bottom