• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Temple Grandin

If Jesse Jackson is the spokesperson for black people, then Temple Grandin is the spokesperson for people with AS.

I have some of her books and she is kind of a hero of mine. She made it to a doctorate level and it amazes me. I myself would never go that far in school; maybe masters but certainly bachelors.

Believe you will and you will ^^ a word of encouragement to you periwinkle.

periwinkle.jpg

Dr Grandin was so much of an inspiration to me, I even see Dr Grandin as my role model to overcome my challenges.

Claire Danes did a pretty good job of portraying her, but I don't know, I just got a different impression of her from reading her books and then meeting her in person. It's very interesting the difference in our backgrounds. She is about 10 years older than me yet her family acknowledged her autism and didn't try to make it into something really shameful. And that squeeze chute she built, I can't imagine my family's reaction to that. Well, yes I can. They wouldn't have allowed it. Period. Anyway, I really admire the work she has done to let people know about autism.

I was under the false assumption that no one in those shoes (myself included) would be that capable...

Now there's this movie about an autistic woman by the name of Temple Grandin who earns a bachelor's AND a doctorate (a hard enough task for an average person), designed over half of the cattle handling systems in the U.S. and is a recognized spokesperson on the subject. Temple Grandin is living proof that being autistic is not a barrier to achievement, she's definitely an inspiration to me and many others.

a really sad thing is that many in the animal rights arena trash t. g. for working with cattle ranchers/slaughthouses. how silly is that. i try to point out that the cows are going to be bred, fattened and killed, no matter what those of us who work to help animals would like. no changing that. without her the lives of cattle and especially their deaths would be filled with worse treatment/terror. she has my admiration for her work to help animals be free from abuse.

the bbc made a documentary about her called 'the woman who thinks like a cow'. very personal. she climbs in her squeeze chute for the cameras. shows her with cow herds. i think it's better than the hbo film as far as seeing what she's like. worth seeing.

One thing that the movie didn't bring out, was that she was in the right place at the right time. Today, she wouldn't have a chance. That is because security is so much tighter at feedlots and slaughterhouses. Back then, she could wave a press pass or simply dress the part and she could get in. Now, no way. I work in a place that is targeted by animal rights people, and I can tell you right now, it doesn't matter who you are or what your credentials are or what you think that you can do for the company, if my employer doesn't want you in, you don't get past that gate. Period. And if you insist, they call the cops. So no, if she was to start out today, she'd most likely find herself jailed for her persistence. It's sad. Things are so much different now.

there is actually a federal law called 'animal enterprises protection act' that stops any activist from interfering with a persons right to make money from animal abuse. there is not a single politician anywhere in usa that will stand for preventing animal abuse. the nra will see to it that such a person would never be re-elected. i'm generally ashamed to walk on two feet.

I am not familiar with that law. I am familiar with the Animal Welfare Act, the Good Laboratory Practices, and others that affect the field of preclinical animal research that I work in.

I admire Dr. Grandin's work with the slaughterhouses. I would LOVE to have her come to my facility and see what suggestions she might have to make things better for the animals here. We try to do our best; many employees, on their own, have come up with suggestions to improve their lot, and some have been implemented. However, I am afraid that Dr. Grandin will probably never be able to pass through our gates. It's my understanding she accepted an award from the animal rights group PETA. That in itself is enough to deny access.

Dr. Grandin was able to make cattle-handling more humane only because at that time there wasn't the need for security as there is now. But now, doors are blocked. Places that might have welcomed her, don't dare to now. And the animals are the losers.

New Threads

Top Bottom