• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tell Me Your Good Sensory Stimulations

AngelaS267

Hello guys!

I know a lot of people discuss autistic people and their sensory issues, but as I'm continuing to reflect on my own set of traits, I'm realizing that I actually have a lot of positive sensory input, and I'd like to talk about them. I'm also eating some beans with my dinner and I realize how I absolutely freaking adore the texture of beans. (Weird I know but this is a safe space.) I'd like to hear everybody else's positive sensory inputs and why they're positive for you. Here are some of mine.

-Again, the texture of beans, I absolutely adore.
-The sound of music of course, but I can appreciate how I think my brain helps me enjoy it with my whole body.
-Cold air (between 45-60 degrees F.) early in the morning. No noise just quiet is a very specific feeling for me.
-Wind chimes. I grew up in an apartment complex and down one row of apartments it felt like everyone's garden was elaborate and nice. And garden decorations, like frogs, colorful stones, metal sunflowers. It felt like the best dream ever, and I remember the sound of wind chimes and it is euphoric for me to hear the sound of them even to this day.
-I realize growing up, I had a strong aversion to cheese, and dairy products (Not as much anymore.) I have avoided it most of my life. Vegetables feel safe to me, I don't have to think too hard about it when I'm eating them like when I'm eating dairy.

All of these are good sensory feelings for me among many others. I'm curious to know yours

Ambient music with nature sounds.
Music is my number one positive sensory stimulation.
I have it playing through the house all day and need it to fall asleep by. When using it to fall asleep it must be at just the right level. Not too loud, not too soft. I use a remote so I can get the sound just right.

The feel of soft, plush pillows, blankets, plushies, anything that touches my skin.

Clear and cold spring waters. I've stayed in a little too long a few times and couldn't stop shaking afterwards. But I love the feel and the sights of the pebbles with small fish around my feet and the clean feel spring water gives.

Cool mornings either in the forest or by the beach. The nature sounds of the forest.
The small sound of gentle waves on the shore. I like the feel of a smooth, clear, sea around my body also. The feel of the sand under my feet.

The smell of a pine grove.

Here is a strange one. The color of a blue light in the dark. Like the blue of the lights on a runway or Christmas tree. I can just sit and stare at that color in the dark in the quiet. I feel emersed into it and the most peaceful state.

I've only noticed two sensory things, and that's that I find it very difficult to pick out voices in busy environments, and I think chaotic dance club environments feel like an onslaught of chaos. A lot of people chilling calmly and listening to live music, I can deal with. Everyone talking at once, whooping, screaming, flailing around, it feels like the social equivalent of intense noise.

Oh, you wanted positive sensory traits? I can't think of any. I think my senses are pretty normal, but they don't have a lot of social bandwith for partying, and I don't mind, because I'm a one-on-one kind of person, I struggle with just one person in front of me, and I'm not a raucous partier.

- Music, especially instrumental music I have a current attachment to, like the instrumental soundtrack from a series I love. It feels like it resonates in my entire body and some passages make me feel tingly and just happy.
- A hot bath, the feeling when all the warm water surrounds me. Also, a hot shower.
- Certain bedsheets with a rougher surface when they're freshly washed.
- Petting a purring cat.

Ambient music with nature sounds.
Music is my number one positive sensory stimulation.
I have it playing through the house all day and need it to fall asleep by. When using it to fall asleep it must be at just the right level. Not too loud, not too soft. I use a remote so I can get the sound just right.

The feel of soft, plush pillows, blankets, plushies, anything that touches my skin.

Clear and cold spring waters. I've stayed in a little too long a few times and couldn't stop shaking afterwards. But I love the feel and the sights of the pebbles with small fish around my feet and the clean feel spring water gives.

Cool mornings either in the forest or by the beach. The nature sounds of the forest.
The small sound of gentle waves on the shore. I like the feel of a smooth, clear, sea around my body also. The feel of the sand under my feet.

The smell of a pine grove.

Here is a strange one. The color of a blue light in the dark. Like the blue of the lights on a runway or Christmas tree. I can just sit and stare at that color in the dark in the quiet. I feel emersed into it and the most peaceful state.

The music at the right volume makes complete sense to me. I never have mine blasting.

And for the blue light I feel like I can sense what comfort that brings you. I totally get it!

I've only noticed two sensory things, and that's that I find it very difficult to pick out voices in busy environments, and I think chaotic dance club environments feel like an onslaught of chaos. A lot of people chilling calmly and listening to live music, I can deal with. Everyone talking at once, whooping, screaming, flailing around, it feels like the social equivalent of intense noise.

Oh, you wanted positive sensory traits? I can't think of any. I think my senses are pretty normal, but they don't have a lot of social bandwith for partying, and I don't mind, because I'm a one-on-one kind of person, I struggle with just one person in front of me, and I'm not a raucous partier.
I totally get it. I think I gained a tolerance for partying sometimes because I was really intent on becoming more social and being included more. But you don't need to go to parties to have fun in your life!

- Music, especially instrumental music I have a current attachment to, like the instrumental soundtrack from a series I love. It feels like it resonates in my entire body and some passages make me feel tingly and just happy.
- A hot bath, the feeling when all the warm water surrounds me. Also, a hot shower.
- Certain bedsheets with a rougher surface when they're freshly washed.
- Petting a purring cat.
I enjoy all of these things as well. I actually revisited my favorite piano piece from the animated movie Anastasia. I highly recommend Once upon a December the piano version where the older gentleman is playing. :) Gives me the tingles

Hello guys!

I know a lot of people discuss autistic people and their sensory issues, but as I'm continuing to reflect on my own set of traits, I'm realizing that I actually have a lot of positive sensory input, and I'd like to talk about them. I'm also eating some beans with my dinner and I realize how I absolutely freaking adore the texture of beans. (Weird I know but this is a safe space.) I'd like to hear everybody else's positive sensory inputs and why they're positive for you. Here are some of mine.

-Again, the texture of beans, I absolutely adore.
-The sound of music of course, but I can appreciate how I think my brain helps me enjoy it with my whole body.
-Cold air (between 45-60 degrees F.) early in the morning. No noise just quiet is a very specific feeling for me.
-Wind chimes. I grew up in an apartment complex and down one row of apartments it felt like everyone's garden was elaborate and nice. And garden decorations, like frogs, colorful stones, metal sunflowers. It felt like the best dream ever, and I remember the sound of wind chimes and it is euphoric for me to hear the sound of them even to this day.
-I realize growing up, I had a strong aversion to cheese, and dairy products (Not as much anymore.) I have avoided it most of my life. Vegetables feel safe to me, I don't have to think too hard about it when I'm eating them like when I'm eating dairy.

All of these are good sensory feelings for me among many others. I'm curious to know yours
I'm a sensory seeking individual. I love loud music, mostly instrumental, like Marcis Warner.

I wear a homemade replica of 18thC stays aka. "Corset" for the deep pressure therapy, all day everyday. Oh and a weighted blanket to sleep. I can't stand light touch, like reflexive scream when it happens, so horrible.

And applesauce pouches, in a cup is okay, but something about eating them out of the pouch is the best.

Fresh herbs, like mint leaves, or the smell of fresh thyme, rosemary and lavender. The feeling of the fresh leaves is lovely the scents are different after they dry.

The smell and ambience and sounds of pine forest is very special for me. All forests are nice but pine forests are extra special. It could be partly because of spending a lot of time in pine forests when I was a kid. So something about it stuck with me. But being in pine forests makes me happy and gives me some peace of mind. It's not just one smell, it's a blend of the smell of all the things in the forest. It's just really nice and calming. The smell of nature and the earth itself. And also the feel of the bark and moss and all those foresty things. :evergreen:
Yes, those are lovely sensory experiences!!

Right now I have the following positive sensory inputs on the go consistently:

Touch:
I find myself consistently handing and rubbing my fingers on ultra smooth, polished, shiny black plastic surfaces, be it acrylic off cuts from projects or just spinning a cassette tape around with my fingers.

Smell:
I've been baking soda bread and every time I'm in the kitchen I'll open the bag and sniff the bread. I find myself smelling it more than eating it!

Visual:
I find myself taking some metal flat bars from old projects, polishing them and just letting them sit on my desk so I can just look at them. Also when I buy metal for projects, I find myself spending a large amount of time just looking at the pictures, especially polished copper or brass square bars. I also find just looking at a block of tofu to be very visually appealing, and not in a hungry way!

The worst of my sense of smell? Cigarette smoke.

The best? A job interview at Jelly Belly candies in Fairfield, California. A lovely candy smell that permeated the outdoors between the factory and offices. Such a nice memory, though luckily I didn't get the job. :p

The smell and ambience and sounds of pine forest is very special for me. All forests are nice but pine forests are extra special. It could be partly because of spending a lot of time in pine forests when I was a kid. So something about it stuck with me. Being in pine forests makes me happy and gives me some peace of mind. It's not just one smell, it's a blend of the smells of all the things in the forest. It's just really nice and calming. The smell of nature and the earth itself. And also the feel of the bark and moss and all those foresty things. :evergreen:
There's something about the smell of outside that feels so good so I get you 100%

I'm a sensory seeking individual. I love loud music, mostly instrumental, like Marcis Warner.

I wear a homemade replica of 18thC stays aka. "Corset" for the deep pressure therapy, all day everyday. Oh and a weighted blanket to sleep. I can't stand light touch, like reflexive scream when it happens, so horrible.

And applesauce pouches, in a cup is okay, but something about eating them out of the pouch is the best.

Fresh herbs, like mint leaves, or the smell of fresh thyme, rosemary and lavender. The feeling of the fresh leaves is lovely the scents are different after they dry.
I like very specific songs loud depending on the singer cause the feeling when it gets to that part is just superb. Instrumentals I tend to like quieter. I'll have to check out Marcis Warner! The pressure therapy makes sense. I haven't quit figure that out for myself but weighted blankets are magical. And applesauce will forever be better in a pouch :) Lol.

Right now I have the following positive sensory inputs on the go consistently:

Touch:
I find myself consistently handing and rubbing my fingers on ultra smooth, polished, shiny black plastic surfaces, be it acrylic off cuts from projects or just spinning a cassette tape around with my fingers.

Smell:
I've been baking soda bread and every time I'm in the kitchen I'll open the bag and sniff the bread. I find myself smelling it more than eating it!

Visual:
I find myself taking some metal flat bars from old projects, polishing them and just letting them sit on my desk so I can just look at them. Also when I buy metal for projects, I find myself spending a large amount of time just looking at the pictures, especially polished copper or brass square bars. I also find just looking at a block of tofu to be very visually appealing, and not in a hungry way!
The smell one is so interesting but makes total sense. For me the smell of olives is just as satisfying as the flavor for me lol. Are you an artist?

The worst of my sense of smell? Cigarette smoke.

The best? A job interview at Jelly Belly candies in Fairfield, California. A lovely candy smell that permeated the outdoors between the factory and offices. Such a nice memory, though luckily I didn't get the job. :p
I actually love the smell of cigarette smoke lol. Cause of my grandmother but more so in passing. Not stuck in a room of smoke. And that's crazy cause I also dont like jelly beans :')

I like very specific songs loud depending on the singer cause the feeling when it gets to that part is just superb. Instrumentals I tend to like quieter. I'll have to check out Marcis Warner! The pressure therapy makes sense. I haven't quit figure that out for myself but weighted blankets are magical. And applesauce will forever be better in a pouch :) Lol.
I'm dyslexic, and realized when I read your reply I spelt his name wrong. Lol 😆 this girls needs a better internal spell check. ...but if you do check his music out, his name is Marcus Warner.

I’ve mentioned these things before in another thread, so I’ll try not to sound too repetitive.

Heat: I agree with people here about showers. I like warm ones, and maybe even hot ones. Also, some places have rooms situated next to the furnace, and the room feels very warm. I often wish I could be in those rooms for a while.

Feeling snug: I like weighted blankets and heavy warm clothes. I wear a tight belt, and often tie my sweatpants and pajama bottoms on tight.

Drinking hot liquid: I drink senna and chamomile tea each day for my stomach. It feels soothing going down my throat. I also feel the same sensation drinking plain hot water. (I once saw a Chinese medicine doctor who told me I should never drink cold liquids. I don’t always follow that advice, but these days I drink my water at room temperature.)

Cuddling: My favorite. I love the closeness and the warmth when cuddling with a woman. I love to squeeze and be squeezed (feeling snug again).

I’ve mentioned these things before in another thread, so I’ll try not to sound too repetitive.

Heat: I agree with people here about showers. I like warm ones, and maybe even hot ones. Also, some places have rooms situated next to the furnace, and the room feels very warm. I often wish I could be in those rooms for a while.

Feeling snug: I like weighted blankets and heavy warm clothes. I wear a tight belt, and often tie my sweatpants and pajama bottoms on tight.

Drinking hot liquid: I drink senna and chamomile tea each day for my stomach. It feels soothing going down my throat. I also feel the same sensation drinking plain hot water. (I once saw a Chinese medicine doctor who told me I should never drink cold liquids. I don’t always follow that advice, but these days I drink my water at room temperature.)

Cuddling: My favorite. I love the closeness and the warmth when cuddling with a woman. I love to squeeze and be squeezed (feeling snug again).
I love cuddles too! I think it's not a common one people talk about but it's so nice. I always think I want cuddles I just don't know how to go about getting them and it has to be from people I like. But since I got a bf, I love being cuddled. Like making up for all the cuddles I missed out on.

New Threads

Top Bottom