• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Teens with Asperger's

jb59

My grandson has Asperger's. He has got to be extremely bored as he always hangs out with me and my wife (his biological grandmother, I'm his grandpa by marriage). My wife and I have been looking for a social website or better yet, a local get together/hang out club type of atmosphere with other kids his age, but haven't been able to find any. Was wondering if anyone in these forums has had any luck finding one or something similar. Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

V/r

Joe

My grandson has Asperger's. He has got to be extremely bored as he always hangs out with me and my wife (his biological grandmother, I'm his grandpa by marriage). My wife and I have been looking for a social website or better yet, a local get together/hang out club type of atmosphere with other kids his age, but haven't been able to find any. Was wondering if anyone in these forums has had any luck finding one or something similar. Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

V/r

Joe
I'm talking about experience here, one-on-one interactions with friends have always suited me the best. I found friends where I expected them the least, like when I did an internship or at work. He doesn't need a group of friends but one or two friends he can count on, that is enough. Clubs, associations that suit his interests, volunteer work, ... those are great opportunities.

I agree with Aneka that a one-to-one situation might be a good way to start . Groups can be overwhelming to some of us and sometimes the social dynamics get very confusing. It might be best to look for something with structure like a class or a game group.

Where I live, many of the local libraries have after school clubs and activities for kids. Like the Pokémon club.

Sorry if you’ve said this elsewhere, but how old is your grandson?

I understand what you mean. He had a part time job for a couple months at the mall helping an older man with his thrift shop but that job terminated.. We live out in the country and there aren't a lof of kids his age to begin with but none that I know of that he's friendly with. He doesn't make friends it seems.

He does prefer one on one interactions. That sounds like a good idea. The library I mean. He's 16 years old. Smart as a whip.

As grandparents, you have a valuable asset, your wisdom. I learned SO much from my grandfather. The things that I have learned carried me through to this day. He was a first generation immigrant from Finland, grew up poor, worked the land, built roads and logged in the upper peninsula of Michigan, joined the military and was part of the Pacific fleet engineering crews building airbases on the various islands during WW2, and later became a machinist for Meuller Brass in Port Huron, Michigan. He raised 7 children in a small country home. He taught me A LOT about growing food, storing food, growing houseplants (one of my life-long special interests), using farm equipment, using natural ways of controlling garden pests (ladybugs and chickens), composting, woodworking, using a metal lathe, and how to do home repair and maintenance. He always kept himself busy with some sort of project, and he loved sharing what he was doing with me. He lived until he was 90. Passed away several years ago, but he is one of the few people in my life I think of often, even now. I miss him dearly.

The reason I am saying this, is that the word "autism" in Greek, means "self" or "auto", and explains our social experience. We all struggle with connecting with people and maintaining relationships. There is a long list of brain anatomy and physiology and neurochemistry involved that account for this. It's certainly not for a lack of "trying". Most of us would rather talk about "things" and "ideas" than people. So, I certainly appreciate your efforts with trying to have your grandson connect socially with others his age. It is a valuable learning experience, but, if you sense he is failing, please understand that it is part of the autism experience, as frustrating and painful as it may be. Young autistics really, really struggle with this and it's difficult to deal with, and for everyone to witness. Your role as grandparents will be valuable as instructors and mentors. He's going to need life skills whether it be recognizing and dealing with people who might take advantage of him, or actual skills he can use in his daily life and potential work career.

It is good for your grandson and you all to understand that he is not a "failing neurotypical" but rather a "normal autistic individual". Having said that, it may take decades before he can settle into the idea and accept his situation. Now, if he happens to be lucky and connect with a wonderful life partner, both need to understand the challenges of the autistic mind when it comes to the importance of communication, perspective taking, and context. Many couples will struggle with this.

At any rate, welcome to the forums. :)

Last edited:
a class or a game group
I was thinking the same. We have a couple of cafes around here where people go to play board games. So it's a social setting but the focus is not on informal interactions, rather structured activities.

Edit: I was searching for the comments the psychiatrist made when he did my autism assessment. He described it as preferring "parallel interactions". I think it's the same as "parallel play". There's a brief reference in this article about the use of parallel play with regard to autism. Might be worth some further research.

Last edited:
When I was growing up my grandfather played a huge role in my life and I loved him dearly, unfortunately he passed away before I got to my teen years.

What I loved most about him was that he just sat and told me stories and taught me things. Always very calm and quiet and soft spoken, I liked being around him because there was never any emotional stress from him. I probably learnt more from him than I did from our public school system.

New Threads

Top Bottom