• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Teachers claim A-level and GCSE students cannot read analogue clock faces

Dear education system: if you can't beat them, join them...

maxresdefault.jpg

Put one on their lock screen. Problem solved :)

Last edited:
I kind of prefer the analogue version though, often digital clocks can be a few minutes out either side, fast or slow.
That reminds me of my grandmother saying "I do think Fahrenheit ovens cook so much better than Centigrade ones!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That reminds me of my grandmother saying "I do think Farenheit ovens cook so much better than Centigrade ones!" :rolleyes:
With your grandmother, there's likely more difference than the temperature unit. Maybe your grandmother was used to cooking in ovens that weren't fan assisted and also used Fahrenheit, and so when she uses a fan assisted oven that also uses Celsius, the food she is cooking doesn't turn out as expected. There were probably more differences than that, but not knowing the mechanics, the only part she sees is the different unit, leading her to either making that association, or simplifying what she knew to sum it up.

Similarly, the mechanism behind analogue clocks is often different, and even if it wasn't, there's also reading error, where if you're not directly in front of the clock, the gap between the hands and the face can mean you read the time incorrectly.

I personally wouldn't roll my eyes at either.

With your grandmother, there's likely more difference than the temperature unit. Maybe your grandmother was used to cooking in ovens that weren't fan assisted and also used Fahrenheit, and so when she uses a fan assisted oven that also uses Celsius, the food she is cooking doesn't turn out as expected. There were probably more differences than that, but not knowing the mechanics, the only part she sees is the different unit, leading her to either making that association, or simplifying what she knew to sum it up.
Does anyone here know when fan ovens were invented? My grandmother lived from 1914 to 1998 and her last kitchen was fitted in the 80s.

Are these students who can't read analogue clock faces any better with negative numbers?
"Cool Cash" card confusion (over a decade old, but still amusing)

Back on topic...This story has also been covered in the Times Educational Supplement. There are some interesting points made in the BTL comments about how dyslexic pupils may struggle with reading analogue clock faces.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom