• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Taste Changes

I can't take extra added salt on foods either. Dude can literately drown something in salt so it just tastes like salt when he's cooking and then expect me to eat it and I just can't, salt is gross and most everything has plenty already added to it as a preservative so added salt is absolutely not needed. Bleck.

Can taste minute amounts of anything in food, the spices, mold anything out of the ordinary will cause me not to be able to eat it. Women tend to have more taste buds than men, and some women are what are called super tasters. I am, and it definitely has stopped me from eating certain foods, like an apple that is a little too soft (I can taste even the slightest bit of over-ripeness, especially bananas, raspberries, blackberries) and there's my SO eating them and not noticing.
Yeah I'm like that too. I can't handle over-ripe foods, even if it's only by a little. I can't eat expired food either, for that reason. I suppose then, that it could just be that I'm a super taster.

I sometimes wonder if it's a trait to have such a broad and strong sense of taste that some of us might be able to distinguish degrees of food spoilage that most people don't.

I think about it quite frequently the longer my carton of sour cream remains in the refrigerator. That it might taste ok to many, but not me. My cousin once laughed and said, "But it's supposed to be sour!"

With me responding, "Sour yes- rancid no." I guess my ability to detect rancid came much quicker than hers. Hmmmm. o_O

Last edited:
Can taste minute amounts of anything in food, the spices, mold anything out of the ordinary will cause me not to be able to eat it. Women tend to have more taste buds than men, and some women (35%) and men (15%) are what are called super tasters. I am, and it definitely has stopped me from eating certain foods, like an apple that is a little too soft (I can taste even the slightest bit of over-ripeness, especially bananas, raspberries, blackberries) and there's my SO eating them and not noticing.
Thank you! "Super tasters" that's what my husband and my son are. They also have an extremely acute sense of smell.

I sometimes wonder if it's a trait to have such a broad and strong sense of taste that some of us might be able to distinguish degrees of food spoilage that most people don't.

I think about it quite frequently the longer my carton of sour cream remains in the refrigerator. That it might taste ok to many, but not me. My cousin once laughed and said, "But it's supposed to be sour!"

With me responding, "Sour yes- rancid no." I guess my ability to detect rancid came much quicker than hers. Hmmmm. o_O

Yes, that's right. If I have doubts about a certain food, I ask my husband if something smells weird, and if he is not around, I ask my seven year old son. If either says it's bad, I throw it away, even if for me it smells fine. They smell and taste stuff that I can't.

| think this is normal for everything since it takes your taste buds 27 times to decide if they like something.

Plus, what you get from the store varies in quality, so you might just be sensitive enough to tell. Blueberries don't ship well and do get moldy...even if same brand, same shipment. Cheese dates can be printed wrong or different batches handled differently. A machine in the factory could be slightly rusty/dirty etc.

Caesar salad in restaurants sometimes taste like metal to me. I think it is from the dressing being left in a metal bowl.

Left over stirfries...the flavors blend badly over night

Potatoes in stew or soup, the texture is unacceptable

Texture can be more offensive than flavour.

If I see him do this I tell him he had damn well better be finishing off that jar! Peanut butter as well! >: The dumbest stuff sometimes I swear. Then he gets mad at me for being over dramatic and controlling. Better than being gross though! >:

What is it with people thinking you're being controlling when you just don't want them to do gross things with your stuff? My ex BF used to leave dishes caked with food in the sink with water in them for DAYS. I felt like I needed a HAZMAT suit to walk into my kitchen. "Please don't do that, it's gross" was WAY too big of an ask though, apparently.

I lose taste for certain things at certain times, randomly (I suspect it's when I've caught some kind of virus but I'm not necessarily showing other symptoms. This predates COVID too.) One time I had pickles at a restaurant, and they just tasted like soggy cucumbers. I thought they were some badly made in house pickles and didn't think anything of it. Then a few months later, it happened again, except that the pickles in question were a jarred variety that I had purchased, and I had opened the jar the day before and eaten some, so I knew they were good. I just couldn't taste pickles all of a sudden.

I also made the barista at my favorite coffee shop make me an extra strong Chai tea because I couldn't taste the chai at all - it just tasted like milk. She must have put 3x the amount of mix in there and I still couldn't taste it. I realized it must've been something wrong with me, not the drink.

The weird thing is, when this happens, it's only one thing that I can't taste (that I know of) and if I didn't happen to eat or drink that particular thing at that particular time, I would never know it.

New Threads

Top Bottom