• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Talking in front of the class and answering questions

I have always had this problem. I never raised my hand in elementary school and I didn't participate in class discussions. I always knew the answers, or had something I could have contributed, but I couldn't bring myself to speak up. When I went to college, I swore that wouldn't happen again, but it did. I think part of it was that I felt like whatever I had to say was so much more meaningful than what others were contributing and if I didn't get a glowing response then it wasn't worth the effort of talking.

Now at work, I don't have that problem. I think part of it is that everyone has to listen to what I say, and they have to follow my instructions. That's made it easier to talk to everyone in general because it got me in the practicing mode.

In high school, I hated it. I had to give presentations in front of class on a regular basis in World History and I was anxious as **** the whole time. I was in a band from my sophomore year in high school, and that helped be get over my hatred for public speaking. Now, I'm OK with giving presentations in class, but it's something I'd rather not do. If I'm knowledgeable about the subject that I have to speak about, then it can be hard keeping within a given time limit, but that's it. I think that when I have to talk in public, I rarely acknowledge the audience and that makes things go a lot easier for me.

I really hate public speaking. I had to take a few classes over the years in this and hated it. I would spend my weekend in fear of mondays having to do it all over again. Eventually I got through the classes and even had fun with it at times, but I still didn't like the idea of having to do it and was afraid to do it again each time. I don't have to speak in front of groups much these days in my job but the other day I was in a meeting with a bunch of people and one of them is a new "boss" and they called on me to say a few things about myself and what I do there. I started out okay but suddenly I realized I was getting anxious and it was getting hard to speak. Kind of embarrassing for a first impression, I didn't think I'd have such a tough time. So I guess I still fear public speaking.

Its weid I have no problem when Iam being funny, I guess because the point is to have people laugh at me but when I have to say something serious I tense up, and when I have something I want to say on a topic, often I just keep it to myself rather than put myself out there and have to defend my idea

Its weid I have no problem when Iam being funny, I guess because the point is to have people laugh at me but when I have to say something serious I tense up, and when I have something I want to say on a topic, often I just keep it to myself rather than put myself out there and have to defend my idea

Yea I am that way too. When I am being funny with people I don't have much of a problem because I feel like I kind of get into a character or something. Like if I have a microphone in front of me or I'm being recorded I don't seem to mind as much if I want to say something funny or do a voice. But if I need to be serious or say something real on topic I get nervous and jittery.

I really don't like being the centre of attention and I don't like standing up in front of everybody and answer questions or give a presentation. You're supposed to look at everyone, in the eyes, I find that hard to do. Not only do I have to think about what to say and how to say it, I also have to think about where to look and be able to stand it. I've never liked it and doubt I ever will. I'll have to give two presentations in a while, I'll be so glad when they're all over heh.

I don't know if it's any rule to make an eye contact with audience. Of course quick contact every now and then focused on someone important, like your teacher, head master, boss, visiting colleague etc, could be nice. But overall I think that looking above the masses of audience is a lot better than to stare one person the whole time - it might make others uncomfortable and feel like they're not needed or taken into an account.

My survival story after my last post in this thread:
It feels that I've became better with this lately, I don't stutter that much anymore. I can form meaningful sentences. At first I also hated to have any attention drawn on myself, and the reason why I got better on public speaking is a bit narcissistic - I just realized how well I know things and thought "why not share my awesome skills with everyone". That worked. It wasn't that much about me being in front of people, but me telling poor people things they need to know. I just at times happen to be their only hope. It's like I'd sacrifice myself for greater good.

New Threads

Top Bottom