• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Symptoms of life with ASD.

Danni59

Hello all,

I wanted to ask the community; Is my constant headache due to my brain being overloaded/having to work too hard dealing with life?
Does anyone else relate to this or have other 'side effects' due to you having ASD and getting out of bed to participate in life?

Anxiety and depression are common side effects of autism. Migraine headaches can be the result of stress and anxiety. I get them, too. At times, I've had such severe anxiety that I have felt physically sick and can't get up out of bed. I took antidepressants for a while and that helped.

Headaches, Migraines, physical & mental exhaustion (and all that comes with it), depression, anxiety and more. That's just those which can be directly related to the extra pressures that result from masking and trying to work people out.
There's plenty of "co-morbid" issues as well which whilst far from exclusive to the autistic population, have a higher prevalence amongst our number than in general.

Last edited:
And if you're never able to completely relax - the tension of neck muscles can bring on headaches.

Thank you. Yes, I can definitely relate to all that's been said. The trying to work people out makes me feel like I can't be my authentic self; because I'm trying to manage my behavior/speech in an attempt to make connections. This, of course, means that I am never relaxed enough to convey the 'real me'. So even if I find someone that will give me the chance of making conversation despite my obvious discomfort, and probably theirs, I cannot make a true connection. Aside from the headache which comes with such an effort it's really the loneliness that hurts the most.
I don't drink anymore, as a remedy for both the tension and the loneliness. so I'd like to ask: are any of you able to overcome or decrease the tensions of conversing and so alleviate the crippling loneliness?
I know this is quite a heavy question and impossible to answer, even for those without ASD, but any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated on this one, as is you taking the time to read this.

When I was younger I'd feel lonely and it got me very depressed, never did figure out a solution. A rollercoaster of relationships seemed better than nothing. But getting older, I appreciate the solitude, and one of the best things for me is to go places where there are little to no people. Dealing with people drains me, even too much time with people I get along with. Looking back, I actually was at my best during the times I was totally alone, even though it sure didn't seem like it at the time.

New Threads

Top Bottom