• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Swedish student writing his thesis about people on the autism spectrum and their use of new media!

Björn Wiberg

Hi everyone! Hope you're all good!

I would like to make a brief introduction of myself and to give the reason why I signed up here.

My name is Björn (yeah, it has those weird dots over the "o" that we use here in Sweden. My name means bear in swedish by the way), I'm 34 years old and I currently live in Malmö in the south of Sweden.

Since I was 22 years old I've been working with teenagers and young adults on the spectrum. This has been one of the most rewarding journeys in my life, and I reckon I'll keep working in the same field my entire life, one way or another.

Right now I'm writing my thesis in the media and communications field at Malmö University. I figured I would combine the two things in my life that I'm genuinely interested in, and so my thesis is trying to figure out if we have come to a time in history, both technologically and socially, where people on the spectrum finally can represent themselves, and not by moviemakers or journalists, for example.

My method is pretty new and is called netnography. It has many similarities with etnography, that is that I'm trying to experience and be a part of the world that I'm examining.

This forum is a good example of a place that I would like to take part of. My main focus is on Youtube though, since my theory on self-representation is easily translated to that medium.

Briefly, my hypothesis is that people on the spectrum have a greater chance of being able to speak for themselves, give a more accurate view on how it might be to live with their diagnosis and to form strong communal relationships with people from all over the world, much thanks to our new media and ways of communicating.

If you're interested in participating in my work through an online interview (mail, chat or whatever feels most comfortable), please comment in this thread or mail me at [email protected]!

You don't have to be a content creator yourself, maybe you're following someone inspirational on e.g Youtube and want to share the experience with me?

Any help is much appreciated, and my hopes is that my thesis will provide more academic research on the topic and in the long run help people on the spectrum to be heard and understood.

All the best,

Björn Wiberg
Malmö, Sweden

Hello, Bear!

Could your hypothesis be accurately restated to:

"Do people with social anxiety express themselves better through text?"

or maybe:

"Do people with lower verbal intelligence do better with non-verbal communication?"

Sure do! :)

Hello Fino! Bear is about to hibernate (only for the night though)

That's a more accurate and elaborate hypothesis, most definitely. I imagine forums like this is a great place to communicate in your own "pace", so to speak. Although my initial goal was to mainly study audio-visual new media, a big part of doing a netnographic study is to go where the study takes you, and in this case it took me here (=

Apart from purely written communication, do you think other forms of new media (e.g YouTube, instagram) might be a communicative form that is more accessible to some people on the spectrum? I'm thinking that the opportunity to speak your mind at your own pace, and without the eventual stress of face-to-face communication, might be favorable?

Some of the kids I'm working with at the moment both create their own and respond to youtube-videos for example. Due to academic ethical reasons I can't interview them about on subject, unfortunately.

Thanks a heap for your answer Fino!

Over and out from a bear in a pyjama!

You're so nice! :eek::D

One of our most prominent members uses youtube!

And many of us have agreed on several occasions that in face-to-face communication, we often come off as mentally challenged, if that answers anything you said. :)

I can never be too sure, you're speaking College. :rolleyes::p

Good night, bear!

I have a poor memory,so make lots of notes.
I use a carrier pigeon.
I don't have anyone to send the note to, so the pigeon just comes back to me.

I usually forget what's on the note,so it's always a nice surprise when it comes back

I'm just sending my next note now.

It reads :

"Don't forget to give your next note to the pigeon ."

I have a poor memory,so make lots of notes.
I use a carrier pigeon.
I don't have anyone to send the note to, so the pigeon just comes back to me.

I usually forget what's on the note,so it's always a nice surprise when it comes back

I'm just sending my next note now.

It reads :

"Don't forget to give your next note to the pigeon ."

Sadly, I think that will turn out to be the point history will say we chose the wrong path. Choosing to be a computer based society rather then pigeon based.

My method is pretty new and is called netnography. It has many similarities with etnography, that is that I'm trying to experience and be a part of the world that I'm examining.

I wish you luck with your research. But now about those dots. Isn't it just a early viking emoji. Like :O but right side up.

My mind said, “tennis”. Weird, yes?

Maybe, but it would explain...

504343.jpg

Well, sometimes I would like to think as myself as a pro tennis player viking. Those times are pretty rare, though.

I would like to ask a more general question to the people active in this thread:

Do you feel that text-based communication, like in this forum, is the best way for you to communicate, or do you use other forms of communication that is related to "new" types of media platforms. E.g through making videos and sending to friends/the public? Even if you're not, do you think that that kind of communication would be something you could consider using? (Or maybe carrier pigeons is the best solution??)

My study also brings up the subject of the possibilty of self representation through new forms of media (youtube, facebook, instagram etc). Maybe you feel like purely text-based communication is the best way to go for you. I'm following a lot of people on the spectrum on their youtube-channels, and I feel that many of the people that follows those channels appreciate that someone with similar problems/way of life can speak up about how it can be to live on the spectrum.

Is this anything any of you guys have been thinking about?

// Björn, Ace Viking, Wiberg

Well, sometimes I would like to think as myself as a pro tennis player viking. Those times are pretty rare, though.

I would like to ask a more general question to the people active in this thread:

Do you feel that text-based communication, like in this forum, is the best way for you to communicate, or do you use other forms of communication that is related to "new" types of media platforms. E.g through making videos and sending to friends/the public? Even if you're not, do you think that that kind of communication would be something you could consider using? (Or maybe carrier pigeons is the best solution??)

My study also brings up the subject of the possibilty of self representation through new forms of media (youtube, facebook, instagram etc). Maybe you feel like purely text-based communication is the best way to go for you. I'm following a lot of people on the spectrum on their youtube-channels, and I feel that many of the people that follows those channels appreciate that someone with similar problems/way of life can speak up about how it can be to live on the spectrum.

Is this anything any of you guys have been thinking about?

// Björn, Ace Viking, Wiberg
Personally, I prefer text-based communication, though I use video chat for work. I prefer to read something, than watch a video, mainly because in reading I can pause for thought and go at my own pace. I am much more articulate when writing, and would not feel comfortable speaking on on video on a public platform. I also have time to consider and compose a reply when writing. Not keen on talking head videos (though I like Talking Heads the band!) because they are often too intense and speak way, way too fast! Also, I dislike the special effects and background music that YouTubers seem to think it necessary to include. I don't use the social media very much - I don't use Twitter or Instagram and never follow or subscribe. I use Facebook for text messages and to communicate with my family, but rarely ever post anything on my profile. I rarely share photos or videos with friends or family. But that's just me - there are some autistic people who would embrace these more direct and personal forms of media in order to reach people, but I think that they are in the minority rather than the majority.

I'm incapable of video-chat. That's worse than face-to-face. It's too odd and abstract, I think, not exactly sure why. The only way I can express myself accurately and completely is through text. I guess that's why I like to write.

New Threads

Top Bottom