• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

SUPER Old Shows

Have you ever watched a show called The Beverly Hillbillies (1962) or a show that's older than that?

• I like it!! ;9

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I watched it when I was younger.

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Never heard of it.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I'll tell you in reply.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Georgia Galaxy

Georgie Girl <3
V.I.P Member
Me, personally.... Anything that came out before the early 70s or so is something I find really hard to understand or relate to. I can identify myself in 80s and 90s stuff even though I'm a 00s kid, but the good thing about even older stuff is that I have no idea what the heck's happening, so it is more interesting because it's more unknown :)

The Beverly Hillbillies is great. :) But one show from the 80s/90s you should try if you haven't watched it, is "Married...With Children". That show is tv gold. I`d say it was a bigger deal than the moonlanding, that the Americans made that show. So good.

I saw some reruns when I was young, same with Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, ChiPs, Welcome Back Kotter, The Brady Bunch, and others. For me, the time period or setting isn't what makes it hard to relate. It might depend more on the lifestyles or situations involved. Stuff like Leave It to Beaver, for example--the experiences are very different from mine. Or The Goonies. I found the pirate ship and secret world interesting. But, a big group of friends and running around with people for that long? Not for me.

Still, those are just obstacles or reasons why I may not care for the story. I could still relate to the emotions of the characters, if not necessarily what caused them. But, art can be useful that way.

This also explains that sometimes I inhabit the demeanor of how characters talk in shows, and am very good at replicating that. I feel old-fashioned after watching this show, and I also give off that vibe because I am around older people a lot. But when I'm around younger people I feel a lot more like I'm supposed to be ^^

I saw some reruns when I was young, same with Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, ChiPs, Welcome Back Kotter, The Brady Bunch, and others. For me, the time period or setting isn't what makes it hard to relate. It might depend more on the lifestyles or situations involved. Stuff like Leave It to Beaver, for example--the experiences are very different from mine. Or The Goonies. I found the pirate ship and secret world interesting. But, a big group of friends and running around with people for that long? Not for me.

Still, those are just obstacles or reasons why I may not care for the story. I could still relate to the emotions of the characters, if not necessarily what caused them. But, art can be useful that way.
Agreed, I guess it's just me being nitpicky because I grew up on cartoons from recent times, but also old stuff :p Lmao I kind of agree with The Goonies. My family loves it but I think it's kinda cheesy.

I watched it as a kid when it was in primetime on CBS. (1962-1971)

Television was so much more fun back then. We always looked forward to September. Not for the next year of school, but the next full season of new tv shows, usually broadcast in no less than 26 episodes. When there were only three television networks- ABC, CBS and NBC. And not many more channels received from rabbit ears.

Of course it wasn't until 1967 that my family got a color tv. I remember going over to my friends house in 1964 just to watch Jonny Quest in color every Friday night. :cool:

Last edited:
I love to watch old James Bond movies recently. It’s just so cool to watch. I also like to watch Andy Griffin too along with the Addams family tv show. I also love to watch the first Invasion of the body snatcher movie.

Agreed, I guess it's just me being nitpicky because I grew up on cartoons from recent times, but also old stuff :p Lmao I kind of agree with The Goonies. My family loves it but I think it's kinda cheesy.

Honestly, I do get what you're saying. I was trying to take a more objective view, but sometimes I see stuff I grew up with and it's like seeing a different world now. Seinfeld is kind of like that, and I saw most of the episodes as they aired. Style can be alienating, even if we relate to aspects of content. You raised an interesting question.

The Beverly Hillbillies is great. :) But one show from the 80s/90s you should try if you haven't watched it, is "Married...With Children". That show is tv gold. I`d say it was a bigger deal than the moonlanding, that the Americans made that show. So good.

Were you into Get a Life at all? That was one of my favorite Fox shows, at that time.

I love to watch old James Bond movies recently. It’s just so cool to watch. I also like to watch Andy Griffin too along with the Addams family tv show. I also love to watch the first Invasion of the body snatcher movie.
Did you ever notice that Kevin McCarthy had a small part in the 1978 remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" ?

As a kid I always loved any sci-fi movies made in the 1950s, and any horror film made in the 30s and 40s.

Saturdays were so special back then...the one day every week those two genres reigned supreme on tv. :)

Last edited:
Honestly, I do get what you're saying. I was trying to take a more objective view, but sometimes I see stuff I grew up with and it's like seeing a different world now. Seinfeld is kind of like that, and I saw most of the episodes as they aired. Style can be alienating, even if we relate to aspects of content. You raised an interesting question.
True. Thank you ^^

Noiceee I really like Mayday - the cool villain who turned good in A View to a Kill :)

One of my favorite shows was "The Outer Limits". I loved scaring myself to death watching that series.

Too bad it only lasted two seasons, from 1963 to 1965. Now it can be seen on streaming media...though I've had the DVD set for years now...lol. Have to give credit to the remake series...it was pretty good as well.

And all those Irwin Allen productions. Silly special effects by today's standards, but in primetime Ioved them.

"Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea"
"Lost In Space"
"The Time Tunnel"
"Land Of The Giants"

I grew up in the 90s and some of my favorite older shows are/were:

As a kid:
The Flintstones (1960-66)
The Jetsons (1962-63; 1985-87)

As an adult:
The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-77)

I liked The Beverly Hillbillies when I was little. My favorite shows now would be old-time radio programs like Dragnet.
These feel almost like guilty-pleasure shows for me but I genuinely enjoyed Sergeant Preston of the Yukon in the radio-broadcast form as well as the early television version. Another fun adventure show was Northwest Passage about the colonial era (but of course these are not historically accurate.) I kind of enjoy the somewhat exaggerated, high-camp excitement of it all.

Growing up Catholic you get stuck with shows like Fr. Peyton's Family Theater and Life is Worth Living. Some of these were good and some were not. Depends on circumstances.

Some of those ancient shows aged really well, like Dragnet and The Twilight Zone and The Shadow. They might not be current but they are still listenable as entertainment today--and are still fascinating historical looks into the past.

I think I predate everybody with things like Sky King, The Mickey Mouse Club, My Little Margie, Topper, the Ernie Kovacs Show (with the Nairobi Trio and Percy Dovetonsils). But I have a soft spot for The Rocky and Bullwinkle show. I would zip through my homework on Sundays to watch it.

A program aimed to adults that amazed me was Omnibus. I particularly enjoyed the discussions of musical theory by BERNSTEIN. (I first saw it at age 4 and I was entranced) I highly doubt if the average consumer in today's world is intelligent enough for that program. Omnibus (American TV program) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom