• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Suggestions For a Game Studio Name?

What would you suggest me to use after "Barlow," then? Should I go with "software?" That would just make it sound like I program much more than games.

Also, some games have managed to gain tons of attention with only little to no advertising at all. How would you think Five Nights at Freddy got popular? Scott Cawthon certainly didn't have much of an advertising budget at all, considering all the games he made and put on Steam before Fnaf 1 kinda (understatement) failed.

Also, what about Apex Legends? EA didn't advertise it at all, but, all of a sudden, it gets popular out of nowhere. Well, Apex Legends is a triple-A game that takes place after the events of Titanfall 2 and published by EA, but it still wasn't advertised, but still got popular.

I think an FPS is a tad bit too complex for my skill level right now, so I'm putting that off and focusing on my RPG right now. I'm using RPG Maker XP until I can buy RPG Maker MX and port the game's assets over to that.

When I do make a shooter, I'm probably going to try to have some unique mechanics added to the game to make it fresh. However, that is something to figure out once I get to making an FPS.

Keep in mind with something like FNAF: Scott essentially won the indie game development lottery with that. Most indies... and believe me, there are ALOT of them, more than you could guess at... go into development, produce something, and dont get noticed. Many end up shutting their doors entirely after only a few attempts. It's honestly frustrating to watch. There's a reason why Steam, the #1 vendor (to the point where none of the others are even worth considering), is right now considered to be a hideous festering mess... it's damn near impossible to even get anything noticed. And hell, even Scott almost DIDNT win. He originally tried to get FNAF crowdfunded... and failed miserably. Like, didnt even come CLOSE to the goal. Nobody was interested, and hardly anyone even knew. He went and made a game anyway though (which is certainly admirable).

And the thing is though... he essentially DID have advertising the second time around... just not on purpose. Youtubers (such as Markiplier for instance) picked it up by sheer random chance, and the almighty Algorithm started spreading it around as videos were produced. The highly unusual nature of the game did all the rest, since there hadnt been anything like it before. What happened with FNAF almost never happens at all, but it serves the same function as heavy advertising when it does. MOST developers though... not some, but almost all of them... will never see this happen with their games, no matter how bloody amazing those games are. That's why I call it the "development lottery". Everyone goes in thinking that THEIR game will be where lightning strikes next, just like how everyone thinks when they buy actual lottery tickets... but just like with actual lotteries, it never does, as the chance is so freakishly low. It's very, very important to understand that, for anyone thinking of trying game development. And I recognize that this all sounds horribly negative, but I'm just being realistic here, and speaking from honest experience both making games, and working with / helping out devs that are making their own stuff.

As for EA's Apex game... believe me, THAT was planned. You dont spend that kind of money on developing that kind of product and then NOT plan a way to get it noticed. That would be outright unthinkable in EA's world. Seriously, in big business that DOES NOT get done. There is ALWAYS a plan.

There have been a variety of videos made and articles written on just how it was done... I wont try to explain it here (as I'd manage to just make it MORE confusing). But it wasnt random chance. Nothing EA does is random chance. They're one of the more ancient publishers, after all... they're too experienced to just trust the random number gods, when they could instead implement some wacky scheme that is backed by boatloads of money.

Now as for a studio name... I havent the foggiest bloody clue. I'm not good with coming up with new names. My habit is to smash random syllables together and call it a day, or sometimes I might just snatch a name from some game or book I'm into at the time. You could always just go with "Barlow" by itself. A single word is that much easier to remember. Just be sure to check and make sure nobody is already using whatever name you decide on.

How about "Hogan's Alley Games...?"

Similar suggestion, "Virtual Hogan Games."

Hogan's Alley is already used by Nintendo:

Hogans_Alley_Coverart-2.jpg

He could still work "Hogan" in in different ways. FPS games are virtual descendants the classical "Hogan's Alley."

Now as for a studio name... I havent the foggiest bloody clue. I'm not good with coming up with new names. My habit is to smash random syllables together and call it a day, or sometimes I might just snatch a name from some game or book I'm into at the time. You could always just go with "Barlow" by itself. A single word is that much easier to remember. Just be sure to check and make sure nobody is already using whatever name you decide on.
Maybe I could just put a random 3-digit number somewhere in the name? IK it might copy what 343 Industries has already done with their naming concept, but I don't think MS and 343i would actually mind.

Edit: I could go with either Barlow or Dendrite by itself with nothing added to it. Or just add "Dev" after it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom