• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

. . .

V.I.P Member
ns-hi-jesus-shirt-facebook-8col.jpg

A Christian student suspended from a high school in Nova Scotia for sporting a T-shirt with the slogan "Life is wasted without Jesus" vows to wear it when he returns to class next week.

William Swinimer, who's in Grade 12, was suspended from Forest Heights Community School in Chester Basin in Lunenburg County for five days. He's due to return to class on Monday.

The devout Christian says the T-shirt is an expression of his beliefs, and he won't stop wearing it.

"I believe there are things that are bigger than me. And I think that I need to stand up for the rights of people in this country, and religious rights and freedom of speech," he told CBC.

Officials with the South Shore Regional School Board plan to meet with Swinimer to hopefully reach a compromise.

Nancy Pynch-Worthylake, board superintendent, said some students and teachers found the T-shirt offensive.

"When one is able or others are able to interpret it as, 'If you don't share my belief then your life is wasted,' that can be interpreted by some as being inappropriate," she said.

Refuses principal's order

Swinimer wore the T-shirt every day to class for several weeks. The principal told him repeatedly to stop wearing it, but the student refused to comply.

Swinimer says the principal would have accepted a shirt with the slogan, "My life is wasted without Jesus."

"But I didn't go for that because I have my rights as a Canadian citizen," Swinimer said.

Swinimer says he never intended to attack anyone else's beliefs. He says he will continue to wear the shirt and is prepared to be suspended the rest of the year.

The board is looking for some guidance on the matter. It hopes to bring in an expert to help mediate the dispute with Swinimer, his family and church supporters.

"We'll be looking for some people with understanding in this area to help us with that," Pynch-Worthylake said.

Taken from here.

People have nothing better to do than to read other people's t-shirts, I've seen way worse stuff, come on :) 1st of all I think it's not the clothes that's important but the attitude behind it, I don't see it's as offensive, aggressive or discriminating. I don't consider myself as Christian, Jesus to me is a controversial figure and I don't think much about him (meaning, he's not often on my mind ) :) I think people blow it out of proportions :)

You know what really pisses me off?!?!?! When people get offended about every tiny detail then can identify that varies even slightly from what they believe.

I'm a Christian but it's not even about that. It's about stupid attention-craving idiots claiming that they've been "discriminated towards and offended". It's one of the few things that actually makes me angry.

If I were in highschool, knowing me, I'd call this kid a delusional moron and punch him. Then again, I was discriminated against for way too long for being Jewish, BY Christians.

But now, with my head screwed on slightly better, I think this is insane. Let the kid wear it. If a Muslim wore any kind of "Praise Allah" shirt, people would bow down and run. It's socially acceptable to bash Christians and I find this horrible.
It's also demanded in Christianity for him to keep wearing it. "If you deny me in front of your friends, I will deny you in front of my Father." - Jesus.
By doing what the principals say, he is going against his religion. So, spiritually speaking, he is doing what God says over what a man says.

People are so stupid. There are bigger things than worrying about someones shirt.

You know what really pisses me off?!?!?! When people get offended about every tiny detail then can identify that varies even slightly from what they believe.

I'm a Christian but it's not even about that. It's about stupid attention-craving idiots claiming that they've been "discriminated towards and offended". It's one of the few things that actually makes me angry.
I find that to be an issue too when people make a big issue out of it so I'm also with you on that one.
You're gonna find some that will believe and some that simply don't but at the end of the day, everyone does have a free will, they choose to do God's way or their own way.

The fact that he is expressing his faith, that's actually pretty bold imo.

If I were in highschool, knowing me, I'd call this kid a delusional moron and punch him. Then again, I was discriminated against for way too long for being Jewish, BY Christians.

But now, with my head screwed on slightly better, I think this is insane. Let the kid wear it. If a Muslim wore any kind of "Praise Allah" shirt, people would bow down and run. It's socially acceptable to bash Christians and I find this horrible.
It's also demanded in Christianity for him to keep wearing it. "If you deny me in front of your friends, I will deny you in front of my Father." - Jesus.
By doing what the principals say, he is going against his religion. So, spiritually speaking, he is doing what God says over what a man says.

People are so stupid. There are bigger things than worrying about someones shirt.

I'm actually kind of a nerd about Theology. The different faiths and interactions between them interest me like crazy. But I still don't see why Christians would force an hostility on Jews.

Christianity/Judiasm = GMC/Chevrolet. Yes, theres differences. But not nearly enough to start armed conflicts or discrimination. And even if there was a lot of differences why would anyone want to start wars and violence about faith?

Indeed. The main issue I encounter is that "I killed Jesus" I must have been really drunk because not only do I not REMEMBER killing Jesus, but I actually agree with a lot of this quotes. So wtf.

A better war would be stupid people VS smart people. We could divide it based on IQ or something.

This is unbelievable, I am in no way religious but I don't think it's fair to stop someone wearing something like that. It's as bad as some of the schools in this country, alot of them are no longer allowed to say happy christmas or have nativity plays, I read one article about a kid being forced to remove a crucifix necklace "incase it offended people of other faiths"...it's ridiculous!

I just wonder if we are hearing the whole story out there. After all, I too have seen a lot worse things on shirts and tattoos. And I was raised Christian so I get the whole "deny me before men and I will deny you before the Father thing." The thing is both sides are taking something trivial like a T-shirt and making it into a big issue.

By choosing to wear such a shirt to a public school, this kid is deliberately making a provocative statement and he is probably being encouraged in this by his church and pastor who think it's a great thing. And of course the response by school officials is feeding right into it.

I'm all for free speech, but when one knows that their words, actions or dress are bound to inflame people and they go ahead and do it anyway, they should not cry innocent or persecuted. Yes, he has the "right" to wear such a shirt, but is it a good idea to wear such a shirt? Why is he wearing it? To let everyone know he is a Christian? If so, maybe he'd better go back and reread some of the passages in the Sermon on the Mount that caution against making a show of one's faith.

The question that is not being asked here is what is his overall behavior, shirt or no shirt? What do his actions speak about his life? I think we all (Christian and non-Christian) have a pretty good idea of the kind of behavioral standards Christians are expected to live by: do good to others, even those who hate you, treat others as you would have them treat you, go the extra mile, turn the other cheek, that sort of thing. When you wear a shirt like that advertising your faith allegiance, then you are also taking on a responsibility to act accordingly. How does he treat his fellow students? Does he have a reputation for helping others? For stepping in when someone is bullied? Or is wearing a controversial T-shirt the extent of it? That's what I'd like to know.

I think that by him saying that he's going to keep wearing the shirt its turned into a game of pride and chicken between the two sides. They both know it's turned stupid but refuse to admit that their extreme stance of a trivial T-shirt is stupid, as well.

BTW, I still think that the school/students are the ones that were more wrong. Yea, the kid is being a bit stubborn. But its just a shirt. I used to bring knives to my high school all the time but no one freaked out because they know that I use them for work and its MY business.

In middle school I was told to stop wearing my Star of David because it was an offensive "gang sign." I refused but I can honestly say it wasn't about rebellion, it was about my own integrity and faith.
Wearing a shirt that is pretty accusatory like this guy is doing is indeed asking for a fight. There are many more quotes from the Bible that could be used to show faith that are less inflammatory to non-Christians. And whatever happened to just wearing a cross?

It's probably a lot less about Jesus and a lot more about rejecting authority at this point, but, I'm still for it considering my view of free speech.

That's insane. It's unheard of where I'm from - teachers hang crosses and posters of Jesus in the classrooms in public school and prayer is forced on all the students.

In middle school I was told to stop wearing my Star of David because it was an offensive "gang sign."

a gang sign, really? Were they just ignorant that it was a jewish symbol? When I was in school there was never any prayer or crosses or anything, but I suppose things were kind of christian centric in terms of christmas stuff, so teachers would occasionally mistake me for being jewish and ask if a christmas display would be offensive.

New Threads

Top Bottom