• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Student - studying how to make office/ education more aspie friendly

Phos

Hi -
I am a design student at RISD and I am researching ways to make offices and classrooms more accessible for individuals with Aspergers

I am not diagnosed with Aspergers (although it has been speculated since I was a kid that I might be - I have not gone to a professional). But I have recently been reading through these forums and have found a lot of people on here with similar experiences as me. It is nice to know that this is not so uncommon - but at the same time makes me think that while all these people are making a big effort to adapt to this "neurotypical" environment our jobs and schools could do more to adapt to us too.

I am trying to figure out what is working and what isn't - what is missing?

If anyone here would be willing to take my survey (it won't take more than five minutes) I would really appreciate that! Or if you don't have the time but you have a comment on this let me know here.

This one is for students - Student Survey

This one is for people who are working (you can base it off past employment) - Work Environment Survey

(this is my first survey so any suggestions for questions that I should ask - or shouldn't ask let me know)

Hi -
I am a design student at RISD and I am researching ways to make offices and classrooms more accessible for individuals with Aspergers

I am not diagnosed with Aspergers (although it has been speculated since I was a kid that I might be - I have not gone to a professional). But I have recently been reading through these forums and have found a lot of people on here with similar experiences as me. It is nice to know that this is not so uncommon - but at the same time makes me think that while all these people are making a big effort to adapt to this "neurotypical" environment our jobs and schools could do more to adapt to us too.

I am trying to figure out what is working and what isn't - what is missing?

If anyone here would be willing to take my survey (it won't take more than five minutes) I would really appreciate that! Or if you don't have the time but you have a comment on this let me know here.

This one is for students - Student Survey

This one is for people who are working (you can base it off past employment) - Work Environment Survey

(this is my first survey so any suggestions for questions that I should ask - or shouldn't ask let me know)

I just dropped out of College so I think I can help, these are my main issues and problems that I have had in education:

1. The classroom size:

Its usually quite large and full of people in a very small and tightly enclosed room with a strong amount of limited space, I really dislike this because its very heavy to breathe and there are some people who do not take care of their hygiene much. This makes it very unpleasant to sit in the classroom which is quite stuffed and makes it very difficult when you try to listen to the instructor of the course.

I don't know if this is possible but classrooms should be more larger and have more space and separation with the tables from the students.

2. The lecturing is quite boring and gets me lost:

When I was in College, the course instructor would go on hours upon hours upon hours trying to explain a subject and drag it as much as they could and when they finish after the long winded speech, I get lost quite easily and don't know what I should do. I think there should be alternative options such as having the instructions for the course on paper because the instructions are organized and more clearer to understand.

3. Not enough freedom when you try to complete the work in a different way:

What I also disliked while I was in College was that the course instructor were very rigid and disrespected you (I am not even exaggerating when I say this) if you politely asked if you could do a certain piece of work in a different way that doesn't change the end result in any shape or form. An example:

I had an assignment to research a certain subject and take notes,we had to go the library with the course instructor with us. He told us to write down the notes on paper but I had kindly asked him "Would it not be better to use word and type it up and print it which would be a lot quicker?" he replied with "No, now stop acting cocky." with me replying "I do not understand how that question was cocky and at the same time what's the problem with doing it on the PC since it would be a lot quicker?" he replied with "You cockiness annoys me.".

I believe that if you can do a piece of work differently but come with the same results that are acceptable, you should be able to do that and not forced to do it in a way you dislike or a way which does not work for you.

4. A quiet and non crowdy space is lacking:

This is important because throughout most of the time you interact with people and most aspies are not very keen or good at socializing so I think they should have a sort of very quiet space which has a lot of space and isn't very crowdy as usual so they can relax and not get stressed a lot.

There are many more gripes that are quite big that I have with the "education" system but overall I think these are the most suitable for this topic and this post.

I was a student for a while and held a job long before that, so I'll do both for you. =)

My main two rules are pretty consistent through both places though.
1) Keep quiet and don't interrupt me unless there is an emergency.
2) Do not touch me. Do. Not. Touch. Butt is off limits, groin is off limits, chest is off limits, hair is off limits, everything is off limits. Do not touch. Hardly anybody listens though and I've been fired twice because of it. Why can't I touch their jaw when they touch my butt or yank my hair? Double standards, I tell ya.

I also can't learn through talk. It's distracting. I have to read it, see it, and do it to be able to learn. If somebody is running their mouth, I just want to duct tape it closed and boot them out the room. It's bad enough college is useless and doesn't teach you what goes on with a real job, (at no point did my accounting classes mention dead bugs and cigar smoke in the documents), so does it have to come with incessant talking?

I just dropped out of College so I think I can help, these are my main issues and problems that I have had in education:

1. The classroom size:

Its usually quite large and full of people in a very small and tightly enclosed room with a strong amount of limited space, I really dislike this because its very heavy to breathe and there are some people who do not take care of their hygiene much. This makes it very unpleasant to sit in the classroom which is quite stuffed and makes it very difficult when you try to listen to the instructor of the course.

I don't know if this is possible but classrooms should be more larger and have more space and separation with the tables from the students.

When I was in College, the course instructor would go on hours upon hours upon hours trying to explain a subject and drag it as much as they could and when they finish after the long winded speech, I get lost quite easily and don't know what I should do. I think there should be alternative options such as having the instructions for the course on paper because the instructions are organized and more clearer to understand.

What I also disliked while I was in College was that the course instructor were very rigid and disrespected you (I am not even exaggerating when I say this) if you politely asked if you could do a certain piece of work in a different way that doesn't change the end result in any shape or form. An example:

I had an assignment to research a certain subject and take notes,we had to go the library with the course instructor with us. He told us to write down the notes on paper but I had kindly asked him "Would it not be better to use word and type it up and print it which would be a lot quicker?" he replied with "No, now stop acting cocky." with me replying "I do not understand how that question was cocky and at the same time what's the problem with doing it on the PC since it would be a lot quicker?" he replied with "You cockiness annoys me.".

I believe that if you can do a piece of work differently but come with the same results that are acceptable, you should be able to do that and not forced to do it in a way you dislike or a way which does not work for you.

This is important because throughout most of the time you interact with people and most aspies are not very keen or good at socializing so I think they should have a sort of very quiet space which has a lot of space and isn't very crowdy as usual so they can relax and not get stressed a lot.

There are many more gripes that are quite big that I have with the "education" system but overall I think these are the most suitable for this topic and this post.

Thank you for sharing! This is very helpful. I agree, it's fair that this system works for a lot of people but there should be more flexibility and allowance for those of us who learn and interact differently. School should be a place where you can focus what is interesting to you and not what makes you uncomfortable. I hope you have found/ find somewhere that works for you - and I hopefully I can find a middle-ground. I will make sure to share as my research progresses.

I was a student for a while and held a job long before that, so I'll do both for you. =)

My main two rules are pretty consistent through both places though.
1) Keep quiet and don't interrupt me unless there is an emergency.
2) Do not touch me. Do. Not. Touch. Butt is off limits, groin is off limits, chest is off limits, hair is off limits, everything is off limits. Do not touch. Hardly anybody listens though and I've been fired twice because of it. Why can't I touch their jaw when they touch my butt or yank my hair? Double standards, I tell ya.

I also can't learn through talk. It's distracting. I have to read it, see it, and do it to be able to learn. If somebody is running their mouth, I just want to duct tape it closed and boot them out the room. It's bad enough college is useless and doesn't teach you what goes on with a real job, (at no point did my accounting classes mention dead bugs and cigar smoke in the documents), so does it have to come with incessant talking?

Hi - Thanks for this! Shouldn't it just be a rule for everyone - bodies are off limits unless invited.

Hi - Thanks for this! Shouldn't it just be a rule for everyone - bodies are off limits unless invited.
So you'd think, but even the unemployment offices tells you "you just gotta put up with some things" and will deny your application, no matter what was grabbed or how much you were threatened in the process. There is some hope, my allistic friends and family don't like grabby people either. They've had some pretty amusing suggestions to deal with it! Although I think half of those suggestions were for comedic effect to make us both feel better. =)

1. The classroom size:

1. I agree totally, I've gotten used to some kinds of body odor but can't deal with kinds that I'm not used to. I feel crazy for saying that, but BO really depends on whats eaten and attempts at deodorant.
2. Most of my stuff is derivations, I just want to know the equation we are solving for, then get in to it. Its like explaining to a driver's education student how the engine works before driving the car, not useful.
3. Haven't had this happen, yet, probably because I avoid instructor interaction more since moving to a larger university.
4. This, the library for the "science and engineering" is a nightmare of smells, sounds, even taste(see smells).

I just wish I could study from home, I'm trying that but still need to tell my fiance that I'm home to study, not to hang out.

I am self diagnosed. I work part time as a cashier while I am in college. Anywhere I am, school or at work (cashier, part time), noise is the most distracting for me. Back in grade school, and even now studying at home, noise in the environment is very distracting. At school (in general, regardless of age) this might be other people talking or someone playing their music too loud even with headphones in. At work, its pretty much work itself since i work at a really busy grocery store and its impossible to avoid given the fact I'm a cashier. I will admit that i have learned to get around being sensitive to sound by focusing purely on my current customer. At home studying i just plug in headphones and listen to some music on low, or something like rain/nature sounds that cover up distracting noise but are...not bothersome?...enough to cause a distraction themselves.

New Threads

Top Bottom