• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strategies for work/school

Ash22

Hi, so I’ve yet to be tested for autism (WIP) but after all the research I’ve done, I’m fairly confident I am on the spectrum. Looking for strategies to implement to make life a little easier. The issues I struggle with most are these:
1. Holding a job. I currently work a Monday- Friday, four hour shift at a childcare facility. I do love my kids, although it can be overwhelming. I find comfort knowing exactly which people I’ll be interacting with throughout the day and the timed schedule I implement. However, I cannot imagine doing a full time shift there or even working anywhere full time. The hours I’m currently working are taxing enough. At some point I’m gonna have to, though. I don’t make enough to make it on my own. So I’m wondering how you guys manage?
2. School. I dropped out of college after a month last year. I just couldn’t handle it. School and work felt impossible. It was uncharted territory and I was already severely depressed at the time. I’m no longer in that dark place, but still don’t think I could do it. The work was fairly easy, I just couldn’t make myself do it. It just felt like it was all piling up and I couldn’t figure out how to organize or prioritize things. It was just too much. Due to the negative experience I had, I’m scared to go back. I may try online classes, but I still don’t know how to manage so many tasks without getting overwhelmed. Executive dysfunction sucks.

I’ve considered implementing a structured routine, which does help when navigating stressful situations. I like knowing when things are going to happen and where, etc. However, inevitably, something will come up and throw off my routine and it upsets me and I end up just giving up on it. I have a hard time with all or nothing thinking. Second problem with that, I get bored. If I don’t have any room for variety and being able to do something unplanned if I choose to, I feel stuck? I know I don’t necessarily have to plan out every minute of my day, but that’s like my default setting and I can’t seem to turn it off and just do a rough draft of a routine. I know that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I’m a walking contradiction.

I guess what I’m asking is, do any of you guys relate? What do you do to cope? Any strategies that help? Also, sorry if I put this in the wrong place. Still learning :)

Welcome Ash. Read through some of the threads here and feel free to ask questions, it's a friendly place here.

You'll find a lot of people here that have the same issues you do, but we're all a little different too.

1. Holding a job. I currently work a Monday- Friday, four hour shift at a childcare facility. I do love my kids, although it can be overwhelming. I find comfort knowing exactly which people I’ll be interacting with throughout the day and the timed schedule I implement. However, I cannot imagine doing a full time shift there or even working anywhere full time. The hours I’m currently working are taxing enough. At some point I’m gonna have to, though. I don’t make enough to make it on my own. So I’m wondering how you guys manage?
I really struggled working 100% full time last year — I work in education. It has never been about the kids or the content I have to teach or even the admin work like grading. It was always about social elements with the colleagues and also feeling overworked to the point of exhaustion. I am currently about to finish off a temp job and it is a much better experience. It is only 50% for a set time and I don’t feel as overwhelmed by everything because of various reasons Compared to my other job. However, if i work a lower percentage Than 60% I will not have enough to make on my own and it is one of the balances that I am finding what I can handle and what I cannot. This is something that you too have to work Out. If you can manage increasing your hours to 60 or 80% would that be too taxing for you? Are you in the wrong job?

With kids, unfortuantely, you have to also have flexibility and not be too strict with the time schedule for things. I see so many different kids and have taught a variety of subjects, even doing additional substitution last year that even if i had a normal day of what was expected, the added things were always going to be too much.

I am not sure how I managed last year — I almost didn^t. I think. When it comes to working jobs like this, you have to be aware that they are also social environments. The kids learn from you too, and I’d argue that your job with the younger ones is more important than my own because you’re interacting with them on a more regular often social scale , so no wonder you are tired!

Best advice with this, if you want to continue working in this environment is to use the time after your work hours to recharge in whatever way is best for you. I used to work 200% in the 100% job, I would never have time for myself and would work throughout the nights and weekends to get stuff done (although I had to do that, it was not healthy). This time, I have more balance And will often not work on the weekends.

So next job, I will have to learn that I am to a machine and need to recharge.=)
2. School. I dropped out of college after a month last year. I just couldn’t handle it. School and work felt impossible. It was uncharted territory and I was already severely depressed at the time. I’m no longer in that dark place, but still don’t think I could do it. The work was fairly easy, I just couldn’t make myself do it. It just felt like it was all piling up and I couldn’t figure out how to organize or prioritize things. It was just too much. Due to the negative experience I had, I’m scared to go back. I may try online classes, but I still don’t know how to manage so many tasks without getting overwhelmed. Executive dysfunction sucks.
Work organization:
Make sticky notes of the tasks needed for the day — each time you complete one job, mark it off. Don’t worry if you cant get it all done in the day. Life also does get in the way too.

As for school, go with classes that are at your own speed. Might take you a longer time to finish but put your work into smaller chunks to manage each day. It is not easy. I am fortunate that my executive function skills were improved because I did homeschooling and university and I have to be organized as a teacher. But I do have to push myself to do things.

I really struggled working 100% full time last year — I work in education. It has never been about the kids or the content I have to teach or even the admin work like grading. It was always about social elements with the colleagues and also feeling overworked to the point of exhaustion. I am currently about to finish off a temp job and it is a much better experience. It is only 50% for a set time and I don’t feel as overwhelmed by everything because of various reasons Compared to my other job. However, if i work a lower percentage Than 60% I will not have enough to make on my own and it is one of the balances that I am finding what I can handle and what I cannot. This is something that you too have to work Out. If you can manage increasing your hours to 60 or 80% would that be too taxing for you? Are you in the wrong job?

With kids, unfortuantely, you have to also have flexibility and not be too strict with the time schedule for things. I see so many different kids and have taught a variety of subjects, even doing additional substitution last year that even if i had a normal day of what was expected, the added things were always going to be too much.

I am not sure how I managed last year — I almost didn^t. I think. When it comes to working jobs like this, you have to be aware that they are also social environments. The kids learn from you too, and I’d argue that your job with the younger ones is more important than my own because you’re interacting with them on a more regular often social scale , so no wonder you are tired!

Best advice with this, if you want to continue working in this environment is to use the time after your work hours to recharge in whatever way is best for you. I used to work 200% in the 100% job, I would never have time for myself and would work throughout the nights and weekends to get stuff done (although I had to do that, it was not healthy). This time, I have more balance And will often not work on the weekends.

So next job, I will have to learn that I am to a machine and need to recharge.=)

Work organization:
Make sticky notes of the tasks needed for the day — each time you complete one job, mark it off. Don’t worry if you cant get it all done in the day. Life also does get in the way too.

As for school, go with classes that are at your own speed. Might take you a longer time to finish but put your work into smaller chunks to manage each day. It is not easy. I am fortunate that my executive function skills were improved because I did homeschooling and university and I have to be organized as a teacher. But I do have to push myself to do things.
Thank you for your help! Unfortunately I don’t think there’s really an option to increase my hours to anything other than full time. However, there have been days I’ve had to come in a few hours early due to another teacher being sick, and It wasn’t too difficult. They have a 2 hour nap which allows me to have some time to relax and clean. But those hours may be a possibility elsewhere. I don’t see myself doing a job like this permanently due to the increased anxiety, but for now it will do. You are correct, I’m working on figuring out what does and doesn’t work for me. It is less stressful for me than when I worked in food service, I had no way to predict what clients I would have and always felt rushed. Customer service jobs are def not for me. So I guess I’m just gonna have to take a hard look at myself and my needs and go from there.

welcome! i've been extremely blessed, so i dont know if i'll be able to help with coping strategies. my grandparents set up a fund for my education, so i didnt have to work while in school. i did get a job between college and my master's, but it was just under full time. i always thought "how can people do school and work?!" and now that ive found out i'm autistic and have adhd i realize why! my current job has been great: i'm the admin at my church, my hours have ramped up slowly, so im below full time, but still able to pay rent. its the first office job i've had, so most of the work is solitary and detail-oriented, and i get to sit by myself and work at my own pace. i had to get used to tracking my own hours and for a while i was logging really low hour weeks. i talked about it with my psychologist and she told me that most people who work office jobs include some breaks in their day, and i met with a friend who has adhd and an office job and he told me i have to loosen up about what's work and when to clock in/out. now i'm doing much better. i'm still working on knowing my limits and letting myself say no to things so that i have a break to recharge.

i realize most of this might not be helpful, but i just wanted to communicate "yes, its hard!" good luck!

welcome! i've been extremely blessed, so i dont know if i'll be able to help with coping strategies. my grandparents set up a fund for my education, so i didnt have to work while in school. i did get a job between college and my master's, but it was just under full time. i always thought "how can people do school and work?!" and now that ive found out i'm autistic and have adhd i realize why! my current job has been great: i'm the admin at my church, my hours have ramped up slowly, so im below full time, but still able to pay rent. its the first office job i've had, so most of the work is solitary and detail-oriented, and i get to sit by myself and work at my own pace. i had to get used to tracking my own hours and for a while i was logging really low hour weeks. i talked about it with my psychologist and she told me that most people who work office jobs include some breaks in their day, and i met with a friend who has adhd and an office job and he told me i have to loosen up about what's work and when to clock in/out. now i'm doing much better. i'm still working on knowing my limits and letting myself say no to things so that i have a break to recharge.

i realize most of this might not be helpful, but i just wanted to communicate "yes, its hard!" good luck!
No that’s so helpful! Thank you! I’ve felt so ashamed and confused as to why I can’t seem to balance work and school, everyone else seems to. But I’m learning I may not be wired the same as everyone else and I may have different needs. Which is why I wanted to join the forum, so I have some support and community

For me, I like to ensure, especially when travelling, that I build in blocks of empty time (perhaps about 1/4 of daytime hours), to allow for contingencies, or just to take a break between things.

Having downtime to recharge is always good, especially if you're coming out of an activity that's takes more of your emotional energy.

As for school, that happens to a lot of people. Heck, I should be working on a paper right now but instead I'm here. LOL. But for those who work well under pressure, sometimes things do end up getting done (and done well!) at the end when the time comes.

New Threads

Top Bottom