• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stolen Youth

My concern going forward is as I get older, there will be less and less options and opportunities as people progress through their lives and get married, etc.. I know I need to work on myself as well, but what scares me is working on myself and making improvements, but with no results. I don't live in huge city, but it is not a tiny area either. It is around 100,000 people but than there are some other cities nearby so altogether probably 250,000-300,000. I question whether my odds would improve if I moved to a bigger city since it is a numbers game. But moving comes with its own challenges. I am not sure if I should give it a year and then consider moving or if I should even give it that long. Life is short, and I don't want to waste another year if I am going to be in the same position a year from now.
As you get older you'll gain perspective - if you let it happen.

If you make improvements on yourself, that's a win. The improvements are the results. Making improvements does not change the world, it changes you.

Odds of what? What does moving accomplish? There are valid practical reasons to move but people are pretty much the same all over. If you move but you take your problems with you you've accomplished little.

As you get older you'll gain perspective - if you let it happen.

If you make improvements on yourself, that's a win. The improvements are the results. Making improvements does not change the world, it changes you.

Odds of what? What does moving accomplish? There are valid practical reasons to move but people are pretty much the same all over. If you move but you take your problems with you you've accomplished little.

Yeah I am sure I need to work on myself. But it does seem like I never have the time to work on my personal life b/c I am constantly dealing with work problems. The last decade has been spent with my mind on work related things most of the time. Battling extreme anxiety in my first three years after college in a job that I disliked. Then I moved on and worked elsewhere for four years. There the work was a better fit, but it is the American way to squeeze every once of juice out of their employees. Especially in the world of public accounting. I was one of the best employees and the best employees typically get punished with a sentence of more work. Then I left for another job and stayed their almost 3 years. More flexibility their, but the work I did not enjoy as much and was not a good fit. They squeezed as much juice out of me as well though. Constant uncertainty in my life because I never really liked my work situation. Now I have moved on to private accounting and the work is a good fit, but as usual the department is way behind and shorthanded. What else is new. I also had some drama of leaving there and going back. It seems like I have been dealing with two straight years of tax season. In large part b/c out out of touch and clueless politicians have the arrogance to think they can actually do things to stop the pandemic, but they just make everything worse usually. Passing stupid laws that hand out monopoly money to people and companies that don't need it but take advantage of the system. I worked 70 hours this past week. Fun. Funny thing is I actually like the work for the most part, but I am tired of always working OT and getting paid salary. Legalized theft. They stole 30 hours of my life this week. I am not some anti-capitalist, but our leaders in government and businesses have failed tremendously in the last two decades.

I don't know how things were exactly when you were younger, but from my view American society has been on the decline the last 25 years ago. Greed, overindulgence, and laziness are doing us in. We may have many more material goods now, but we also have a much less healthy society as more and more people are overweight, are dealing with mental health issues, or drug issues or all of the above. Loneliness is a pervasive problem. All these things make it more difficult to date since the options have become much more limited especially as I get older. Also add in the number of single parents limits options even more. On the stupid apps, I am uninterested in almost all that happen to like me or whatever. In the state I live, I think I read that around 25% of college graduates leave the state. Seems to be an aging population in the state and in particularly the area I live in. When I go out, sometimes I wonder where all the young people have went. It seems like they have all disappeared. All these things make it more difficult to date. Heck, how will I find a significant other when I can't even find a date? Then throw in the dark, freezing, miserable winters and I feel totally hopeless. It feels like my life is entirely pointless and I am heading to unending bitterness and regrets. Few quality entertainment options. The dating sites don't even have any events because the area I live in is not big enough.

I have some hobbies that I enjoy such as running. I go to a running group most weeks, but there are not young people there. I am the youngest person typically by 15-20 years and the male/female ratio is about 95/5. But the group is probably 15 strong in the winter. Again, I don't know where all the young people are. Then at work, I feel like almost everyone is older than me. Few dating opportunities there. Plus I don't know where all the workers are. It is a fairly big office, but feels like no one is there. People working from home maybe, but I was told the CEO wants people there to promote company culture. LOL.

So here I am. Since I am a white male, I apparently have every privilege there is in the book and my life is so easy. That is according to CNN at least, and we know how reliable source of info they are. But the reality is, the only thing society wants from a man is for them to work and pay in taxes. We are used and abused. I was failed every step of the way by schools, the health care system, family, friends, and employers.

You sound exhausted. If you have money saved up - take a break for a while. Travel. You said you have been working a lot and you are a runner. I envy that capability, of being a person who can get employment. It’s out of reach for some of us. So that is a huge advantage you have.

Anyway one idea is to get busy on a search for places for a seriously refreshing vacation, that will cater to you.

“Get the h—- out of town” & take yourself somewhere that’s interesting and beautiful to you.

OP

You can't change the past, but you can influence your future.

Two obvious things to consider:
  • If you work as much as management asks you to (which will be as close to 168-hour weeks as they can get away with :), it's time to look at your work/life balance.
  • If you want to meet a different kind of person, select different activities or groups. Of course there's nothing wrong with doing your favorite activities, but its also reasonable to engage in activities that are fun/useful and also facilitate your social objectives.
Change isn't easy, but not changing a bad situation when you can is likely to be worse.

Last edited:
If you want to meet a different kind of person, select different activities or groups. Of course there's nothing wrong with doing your favorite activities, but its also reasonable to engage in activities that are fun/useful and also facilitate your social objectives
Exactly! I have said as much here. My greatest successcame when I started participating in Sierra Club outings. I met my spouse car-pooling to a trail maintenance trip and it ended up changing my life positively. I sorta ascribe that meeting to the Red String of Fate.

@mw2530

34 is still young. When you say: "Now the vast majority of single women in my area are either overweight and/or terribly unattractive or single mothers. I have zero interest in either.", what do you consider to be "overweight"? What is your idea of beauty when you say the vast majority of women are "terribly unattractive"?

I'm not saying that I believe the following is your situation because you didn't elaborate with details, but a common pattern I've seen over the years on internet forums for single people (usually men but not always) is a startlingly narrow, bordering on near impossibly specific set of criteria for what a partner needs to look like in order to find them attractive.

Last edited:
@mw2530

34 is still young. When you say: "Now the vast majority of single women in my area are either overweight and/or terribly unattractive or single mothers. I have zero interest in either.", what do you consider to be "overweight"? What is your idea of beauty when you say the vast majority of women are "terribly unattractive"?

I'm not saying that I believe the following is your situation because you didn't elaborate with details, but a common pattern I've seen over the years on internet forums for single people (usually men but not always) is a startlingly narrow, bordering on near impossibly specific set of criteria for what a partner needs to look like in order to find them attractive.

Very good point. I’d also caution mw2530 to be careful whom he sneers at. Autistic people aren’t considered prime romantic real estate either, particularly autistic men. Clearly. On a sidenote, too, mw2530, if you ever do become involved with someone, you should let her know straightaway of your low opinion of single mothers. I would absolutely want to know about that before breeding with a man.

@mw2530

I have to be physically attracted to someone in order to date someone. To me, that is a pretty basic desire. If I take care of my physical health, why shouldn't I be able to expect the same from a partner?

I am attracted to many women, but most are already taken or they are not interested in me. I don't consider my standards unreasonable at all. It is just that the odds are stacked against me at this point considering where I live and most people have already found their partners.

Very good point. I’d also caution mw2530 to be careful whom he sneers at. Autistic people aren’t considered prime romantic real estate either, particularly autistic men. Clearly. On a sidenote, too, mw2530, if you ever do become involved with someone, you should let her know straightaway of your low opinion of single mothers. I would absolutely want to know about that before breeding with a man.

Excuse me, thanks for taking a shot at autistic men. Apparently we are less valuable than autistic women according to you. Clearly. Give me a break. I never said I had a low opinion of single mothers. But I am uninterested in getting involved in a relationship with them. Is there really something wrong with that? A child from a previous relationship is an added complication that I don't really want to get involved with. I will be sure to communicate that to women in the future before breeding.

Excuse me, thanks for taking a shot at autistic men. Apparently we are less valuable than autistic women according to you. Clearly. Give me a break. I never said I had a low opinion of single mothers. But I am uninterested in getting involved in a relationship with them. Is there really something wrong with that? A child from a previous relationship is an added complication that I don't really want to get involved with. I will be sure to communicate that to women in the future before breeding.

You don’t have a low opinion of single mothers but you’re uninterested in getting involved in a relationship with them? Well how about this: I don’t have a low opinion of autistic men, but I am uninterested in getting involved in a relationship with them. Because autism is an added complication that I don’t really want to get involved with.

See? Single mothers know what it’s like to be pariahs, too.

Yes! This!

If you are happy right now it does not matter that you lived through hell. The past no longer exists. If you keep thinking about it you'll be stuck in it. Accept what happened to you as nobody's fault, just a really bad die roll. People who are continually angry or depressed are almost always trapped in the pain of the past and have repressed anything good that happened. Something good did happen or you'd be dead.

Everyone gets depressed, anxious, or angry occasionally. For it to be a way of life is an indication that you need to change. You have to accept that you are not handling life well and you need a new point of view. I immersed myself in philosophy for decades - plus taking an antidepressant - to get here and I'm still working on it. If you can't do it on your own, that's where a therapist comes in.

Which philosophers helped you most, @Au Naturel ?

You don’t have a low opinion of single mothers but you’re uninterested in getting involved in a relationship with them? Well how about this: I don’t have a low opinion of autistic men, but I am uninterested in getting involved in a relationship with them. Because autism is an added complication that I don’t really want to get involved with.

I don't really care to get in an argument with you in a post where I was hoping to get support and advice from others.

Fine, don't get in a relationship with an autistic man then. That is your choice. Does not necessarily mean you have a low opinion of autistic men. Maybe it is just not the type of person you are looking for in a relationship. No different than saying you or I are not interested in getting in a relationship with someone for any other reason. Everyone has their own preferences with getting in a relationship. Someone may not be interested in getting involved with someone b/c they are not a college graduate. Or maybe b/c they are a workaholic. Does not mean that they think lowly of someone who has not went to college. Or that they think lowly of someone who is a workaholic. They just know that it will not work for them in terms of their compatibility or preferences.

I don't really care to get in an argument with you in a post where I was hoping to get support and advice from others.

Fine, don't get in a relationship with an autistic man then. That is your choice. Does not necessarily mean you have a low opinion of autistic men. Maybe it is just not the type of person you are looking for in a relationship. No different than saying you or I are not interested in getting in a relationship with someone for any other reason. Everyone has their own preferences with getting in a relationship. Someone may not be interested in getting involved with someone b/c they are not a college graduate. Or maybe b/c they are a workaholic. Does not mean that they think lowly of someone who has not went to college. Or that they think lowly of someone who is a workaholic. They just know that it will not work for them in terms of their compatibility or preferences.

My point is that reducing people to labels is never a good idea. Single mother, workaholic, not a college graduate, autistic man…etc. All I’m saying is, be careful about whom you dismiss. You could meet a woman who doesn’t have children and end up in a terrible relationship with her, whereas the single mother you immediately rejected could be someone whom you really connect with and end up loving. If someone told you they’d never date you because you’re autistic, you’d feel that you were being unfairly labelled and rejected without the person knowing the first thing about who you really are, wouldn’t you?

Maybe he doesn't like kids. Or is overwhelmed with them or believes he'd be a poor father. Think about the sensory overload problems a person with autism may have. Autism can present all kinds of issues when dealing with children. Not wanting to romance someone is not the same as disrespecting them.

I assure you, autistic men know exactly what it is to be a pariah. Autism is a complication that most women definitely don’t really want to get involved with. Even other NT guys often don't want to hang out with them. It is a very lonely life.

Maybe he doesn't like kids. Or is overwhelmed with them or believes he'd be a poor father. Think about the sensory overload problems a person with autism may have. Autism can present all kinds of issues when dealing with children. Not wanting to romance someone is not the same as disrespecting them.

He indicated a few times that he does want children (that he’s sad because he sees other people getting married and having children and families).

I assure you, autistic men know exactly what it is to be a pariah. Autism is a complication that most women definitely don’t really want to get involved with. Even other NT guys often don't want to hang out with them. It is a very lonely life.

Yep, that’s why I said single mothers know what it’s like to be pariahs, too - as in, both autistic men and single mothers know what it’s like.

Which philosophers helped you most, @Au Naturel ?
Hmmm. That's a difficult question. There's Victor Frankle, Albert Camus. Ecclesiastes has a lot of good stuff in it. Thoreau is a good one.

I don't know if you'd consider the Beatles to be philosophers but I'm exceptionally fond of George's songs. There's a lot of wisdom to be found in poetry.

Rather than individual philosophers, I draw from certain philosophical traditions. Mostly about how one can be content in an unjust world. How one can leave the past behind, live in the present, and not allow that past to contaminate the future. Buddhism, Stoicism, Epicureanism, even Bushido. Existentialism & Absurdism. Even Hedonism has value. I am an Empiricist, a humanist, an agnostic, and a moderate Skeptic. I believe in the importance of rational thought but I also know that emotions and physical sensations (man the animal) are where that subjective feeling of happiness comes from.

Not worrying about things over which you have no control. The importance of seeing beauty in the smallest things and the importance of having a broad definition of beauty. Learning to accept the things that happened to me in the past without anger. Accepting my own fallibility and forgiving my own mistakes - while resolving to do better.

I read broadly but not with great depth. That would suck all my resources into a limited area and I'd miss out on all the variety to be found. I prefer to get the gist of a particular philosophy and pick the ideas that work and discard the rest. That makes me a philosophical mutt.

He indicated a few times that he does want children (that he’s sad because he sees other people getting married and having children and families).

Yep, that’s why I said single mothers know what it’s like to be pariahs, too - as in, both autistic men and single mothers know what it’s like.
I dated a few single mothers in my 20s. The women were fine but the kids were already old enough that I'd forever be "the replacement." Now, I love children dearly but I doubt I could handle that. I am a vulnerable person that way. Back in that time frame, I had such a low opinion of myself I doubted I could be a good daddy and I wouldn't want to burden anyone that way. I was 30 before I was ready and by that time I finally had reliable work.

Hmmm. That's a difficult question. There's Victor Frankle, Albert Camus. Ecclesiastes has a lot of good stuff in it. Thoreau is a good one.

I don't know if you'd consider the Beatles to be philosophers but I'm exceptionally fond of George's songs. There's a lot of wisdom to be found in poetry.

Rather than individual philosophers, I draw from certain philosophical traditions. Mostly about how one can be content in an unjust world. How one can leave the past behind, live in the present, and not allow that past to contaminate the future. Buddhism, Stoicism, Epicureanism, even Bushido. Existentialism & Absurdism. Even Hedonism has value. I am an Empiricist, a humanist, an agnostic, and a moderate Skeptic. I believe in the importance of rational thought but I also know that emotions and physical sensations (man the animal) are where that subjective feeling of happiness comes from.

Not worrying about things over which you have no control. The importance of seeing beauty in the smallest things and the importance of having a broad definition of beauty. Learning to accept the things that happened to me in the past without anger. Accepting my own fallibility and forgiving my own mistakes - while resolving to do better.

I read broadly but not with great depth. That would suck all my resources into a limited area and I'd miss out on all the variety to be found. I prefer to get the gist of a particular philosophy and pick the ideas that work and discard the rest. That makes me a philosophical mutt.

Haha. A philosophical mutt! That's superb.

So here I am. Since I am a white male, I apparently have every privilege there is in the book and my life is so easy. That is according to CNN at least, and we know how reliable source of info they are. But the reality is, the only thing society wants from a man is for them to work and pay in taxes. We are used and abused. I was failed every step of the way by schools, the health care system, family, friends, and employers.

This has a trickily tangled up mixture of truth and illusion. There is a lot more to analyse and getting it down in a journal or with a counselor you trust would be helpful.

That is not a criticism of you.

Focus your attention on a less bitter way to frame your life. Not because it’s a good thing to do but it is a pragmatic thing.

You’re much more likely to eventually attract someone if you’re not carrying this baggage.

I appreciate all the posts, but I feel like I am in a deep deep pit. I typically go through life ignoring my feelings and suppressing them because that was the only way I could cope. They were too painful that I had to numb myself from feeling anything basically. If that isn't the saddest thing. But that will never allow for anything to change. But it often was necessary, because for years and years I have been worrying about non social issues such as navigating the working world. I think about how basically I have lied my whole life when people asked how I was or how I was feeling. All the fake laughs and the artificial face that I had to put on to the world day in and day out just to survive.

Even if things suddenly magically turn around for me at the age of 34, I don't think I will ever be able to get over the anguish that I have experienced from the loss of youth. In some ways, it is a worse experience that dying unexpectedly at a young age. At least then you got to experience the best years of your life, the younger years. Instead I get to skip over the best years as if I was dead for the first 34 years, and get to live the remaining years. I think if I had a choice, I would have opted for the former rather than the latter. If I never have a bad day for the rest of my life, I don't know that that makes up for all the life that has already been lost.

What is hardest to accept is that I think all of this could have been prevented. But society failed me. Society has consistently failed anyone who has ASD. No one ever recognized my challenges when I was a kid or even an adolescent or young adult. No one helped and no one cared. Parents, schools, and society in general utterly failed to set me up for a happy, successful life, as they have failed the majority of us. It seems like pretty much all of us had to figure out our differences on our own, with little to no help from society.

I don't know what else to say. I know this is a lot of "poor me" in this post, but I don't think the average person could even begin to understand what many of us has been through.
I have been going through Cognitive Processing exercises about my past social isolation and making baby steps. One major stuck point for me has been; "All of my accomplishments and experiences can never compensate for the lack of a more vibrant sexual life as a teen and young adult." My feelings about this are:
I feel very sad at the experiences that I did not have and am profoundly disappointed in myself that I could not behave socially in order to;
  • demonstrate interest in any woman I would have liked to have a relationship with.
  • act to give women who fell for users and jerks a real choice.
  • have enjoyed intimate moments with women I was attracted to.
But, digging deep, the messages I am learning to tell myself are:
  1. It is OK to grieve for lost and unrecoverable experiences and to recognize that people failed me when I deserved help with my social dysfunction.
  2. The only reason I am aware of what I lacked is because of successful changes I made in myself to overcome the deficiences I see in my younger self. I am in a relationship founded on mutual respect and trust and am truly fortunate to have a spouse who accepts me sexually.
  3. Previouly, I was anxious and fearful of many things, sex included, and I was able to overcome that fear in order to lead an interesting life doing things that the younger me would not even consider in the realm of what I could accomplish. I won at life.
  4. I believe that despite all the messages I was receiving about sex, I was able to make my own decision, so as a result I started my sexual experience at a time I was ready for it, with a woman who I wanted to express love to, and as the culmination of a wonderful time sharing experiences.
And, we are still sharing experiences. I would recommend counseling. It is hard work at times facing when I have been unkind to myself that increased my loneliness. But I am accepting it as history that I have managed to overcome. It is making a difference in me, and my spouse likes it.

New Threads

Top Bottom