• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Still A Kid At Heart?

When I was 19yrs old and in 11th grade the school psychologist told my parents I had the mind of 12yr old...... (had alot of problems in school)

Yup, still am one, because most of my interests and want involve Collecting Japanese Toku Toys, Watching Disney Channel (Dramas send me into anger!), and playing video games. =)

I was less of a kid when I was a kid than I am now. Did that make any sense? I was a pensive, serious child. I liked hanging out with adults and older kids. I mostly played with Barbie dolls ... loved all the clothes and accessories. I liked to make up the stories for their lives. I liked to read lot, and learned most of my grammar skills through osmosis. I never was much in to playing games, nor was I very attached to any toys besides my Barbies, though I did have collections of different things. My interests typically changed frequently. I found pleasure in accomplishing things like studying my schoolwork so I'd get good grades. I was a loner and had only a handful of friends throughout grade school.

Now, I don't feel like an adult at all. I still have the same interests as I did when I was a kid. If I had the money, I'd probably collect vintage Barbie dolls. I don't have children of my own, and never wanted them. I don't care about the same things adults care about. I'm not as concerned with money as I should be, though I fear not having enough of it. I don't care about having a fancy house or car. I don't give a rat's ass about the new draperies in your living room, or the funny thing your toddler did yesterday. I have virtually nothing in common with the average NT adult.

To answer the question, I don't know if I was ever "a kid at heart," but I'm certainly not an adult either. I'm much less responsible and self-disciplined now than I used to be. Kind of makes me wonder exactly where I do fit in.

I'm very much a child at heart - I still have a passion for children's films, climbing trees, holding my parents' hands if we go out, children's books and security blankets (in my case it's clothing. Yes, I still sleep holding the same items of clothing since I was 7). I can act rather immature, too, like making up words that don't exist...

Absolutely. Recently my mom and I took my nephew (who is 13 now) to his dentist..which is set up for kids. They have legos and the little people chair and tables. Well i went over and sat down at the small table and started building.

I didnt see what the big deal is. I was bored sitting in a waiting room staring at people on their phones ...... and besides a little girl around 7 or so came and sat down with me and started building.

Absolutely. Recently my mom and I took my nephew (who is 13 now) to his dentist..which is set up for kids. They have legos and the little people chair and tables. Well i went over and sat down at the small table and started building.

I didnt see what the big deal is. I was bored sitting in a waiting room staring at people on their phones ...... and besides a little girl around 7 or so came and sat down with me and started building.
Lol why not. I'd do the same. Love lego - as long as there's a kid there. I wouldn't go over by myself.

I am definitely a kid at heart. I continue to watch cartoons and children's movies/shows. I love jigsaw puzzles, connect the dots, word searches, mazes, and coloring pages. I still make things with legos and other building toys. Some books I enjoy are children's books like Dr. Seuss, "The Chronicles of Narnia", "Nancy Drew", "Goosebumps", and "Choose Your Own Adventure". I adore board/video games. I even have stuffed animals on my bed.

Last edited:
I am definitely a kid at heart. I continue to watch cartoons and children's movies/shows. I love jigsaw puzzles, connect the dots, word searches, mazes, and coloring pages. I still make things with legos and other building toys. Some books I enjoy are children's books like Dr. Seuss, "The Chronicles of Narnia", "Nancy Drew", "Goosebumps", and "Choose Your Own Adventure". I adore board/video games. I even have stuffed animals on my bed.
Omg that is all so me! Word searching is cool. Everyone does it. Hey I still LOVE spot the difference! Have you watch Dr Seuss's Lorax? My friend aged 23 introduces me to that. It was cool.

Even though I'm 68 now I still play with toys (most recent-die cast backhoe loader toys for the past 5 years), but like someone with Autism and extremely protective of them since I have Autism. I also spin wheels on my toys which I have done for years. And I've had toys with wheels of some sort all my life. It is one of my soothing stims. I play games on PC and watch some kiddy shows. So I guess I have the kid in me to some degree. :) :)

Omg that is all so me! Word searching is cool. Everyone does it. Hey I still LOVE spot the difference! Have you watch Dr Seuss's Lorax? My friend aged 23 introduces me to that. It was cool.

I love spot the difference, as well!...I have seen some of "The Lorax". That is actually one of my favorite Dr. Seuss stories. Other stories by him I heart are Thidwick The Big-Hearted Moose; Gerald McBoing Boing; The Butter Battle Book; Horton Hears A Who!; Horton Hatches The Egg; Green Eggs And Ham; Hooray For Diffendoofer Day!; And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street; Oh, The Places You'll Go!; Scrambled Eggs Super!; and The 500 Hats Of Bartholomew Cubbins. :)

I love Hot Wheels cars! :bluecar: Yes, I'm 49 and a woman. I even pay all my bills on time!
First, I line up my cars, this puts my world in order, so everything feels right.
Then, I select one or two and spin the wheels again and again and get lost in the spinning blur, until I feel calm.
Next, I have fun driving my cars. Then, the world is a right and good place for me. :)

I love Hot Wheels cars! :bluecar: Yes, I'm 49 and a woman. I even pay all my bills on time!
First, I line up my cars, this puts my world in order, so everything feels right.
Then, I select one or two and spin the wheels again and again and get lost in the spinning blur, until I feel calm.
Next, I have fun driving my cars. Then, the world is a right and good place for me. :)

I love your post. You are so much like me when it comes to boy toys, being a women and the fact the both of us spin the wheels. I don't line mine up but like you, I have my die cast backhoe loaders in order which is the big one in one display case, the smaller ones that are the same scale in another case and the smallest ones in a third case. I hate having them of different sizes occupying one space. I took out my die cast skid steer loaders because I love just one kind of machine.

I'm wondering, do you sleep with some of your Hot Wheels cars? I always sleep with a couple of my big die cast backhoe loader toys. :sunglasses:

New Threads

Top Bottom