• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Steriotypes

dakota dorner

I would like to hear about your experiances with stereotypes in your life. I want to know about autism stereotypes but i would love to hear about other stereotypes as well.

well the issue with aspergers and autism sterotypes is that they represent this idea of people who cant function, screaming, rocking back and forth and never want to communicate. while this is an example of the very low functioning autistic it doesnt really translate to the rest of the population.

these are sterotypes that exist outside of people on the spectrum which is what i assume you wanted.

these sterotypes remind me a lot of mental illness ones. things like depression, bipolar, and schizophrenia all have this idea of they have to be severe and visible almost to even exist. a person cant be depressed unless they try to kill themselves, a person who is bipolar has mood swings in 5 seconds from each other and is changing multiple times perday, and a person who has schizophrenia is always hallucinating and is violent and wants to kill people.

these are all sterotypes i have herd over mental illness but not a single one is true. maybe its because outside populations when it comes to "invisible conditions, illnesses, and disabilities" they not want to take the time to understand, and they think that unless it is physically and visibly disabling in some manner that it doesnt exist.

in general people are very weird for any condition of the mind and what it actually means

After thinking and deleting a bunch of stuff, I will settle for "skinny people are weak" or "all skinny/fat people have eating disorders".

New Threads

Top Bottom