• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

SSI review for child with aspergers

waterrain

My child used to be in special ed up until 3rd grade.
After that they stated since she got good grades
that they would just provide regular class social support (never happened).
Well now she is in 8th grade. Last year I had her
participate in as many activities as possible to help
her social functioning and also coordination. Well now
SSI is reviewing her and the current teacher says I
don't see anything wrong. Welp only her peers, me, and her twin sister seem to notice.
I had to submit to the teacher a questionnaire from SSA.
Should I submit the questionnaire because I think it will damage more than help her case.
Right now the teacher doesn't think anything is an issue but thats because aspergers does not
really show up (to untrained eye) unless its a more social setting.
I think SSI knows this as well which is why they want a teacher to fill this out
so they can deny her benefits. Seems people do not want to believe
anyone has this disorder same reaction happens when I tell people I have it.

If by SSI you are referencing Social Security, then not completing the questionnaire could result in a denial of benefits. If the Administration requests information to make a decision, then usually they need that information to make the decision. If they don't get the information requested, then they usually deny benefits.

Ok, well I will definitely write a letter and send it in that explain why I think the teacher does not have a full perspective on how this affects my child.

Last edited:
Ok, well I will definitely write a letter and send it in that explain why I think the teacher does not have a full perspective on how this affects my child.

A teacher can't necessarily be expected to have this kind of depth. They can work with students who have IEPs to meet their needs, but talking about understanding varies from person to person. There are thousands upon thousands of diagnoses and "diagnoses" along with the subcategories. The only qualified people may be ones you'd have to be willing to pay out of pocket. The additional services your child would receive may or may not be beneficial in the long run. You and the child will know that better than anyone else.

I learned very recently that for college, they do not have to follow IEPs as strictly as a K-12 school does. Smaller things like if a student needs a calculator, it is not necessary that a particular college is obligated to allow this even if it's stated in the IEP. Some colleges will argue that their school has policies which prepare you more for the real world potentially and that this kind of accommodation cannot be provided under their setup or for a particular class.

So, even though the teacher may be untrained, I'm not so sure if it's actually reasonable to expect her/him to be trained in this particular facet.

That's good point and I hope the people reviewing her ssi case understand that
aspergers can be hard to spot to the untrained person. I think the reason
it is so evident when they are in the early elementary years is the curriculum
is more based around play whereas now she is older and its just sit at your
desk all day type of stuff no recess etc. But Last year she went out for sports
my daughters coach kept making remarks about the way she ran,
I pulled him to the side and said my child has aspergers and this can
affect her gait with running. Even though this coach saw it with his own
eyes he still refuse to believe my daughter had aspergers.
Just said she was really a quiet person.

New Threads

Top Bottom