• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

spider bites

watersprite

lost
V.I.P Member
Dammit When I went outside at 3 a.m. to let the dog go pee, a spider got me. It must have crawled up my pantleg, and stung my upper calf. It’s stinging pretty bad. OW.
I don’t think we have browns here and it gets too cold for black widows, but whatever got me, its a formidable pain.

Last edited:
I'm sorry.

Don't squeeze it, that will send the venom into your bloodstream.

Ice should help. Don't use heat. Heat will open up your pores and spread the venom.

Triple antibiotic (Neosporin) will help so you don't get a secondary bacterial infection.

Go see a Dr. if it seems worse in the morning.

ooh, have you had a look at it, is there a bite mark? Would it be a snake? I think you can put methylated spirits on stings/bites, can't quite recall though.

Very sorry that you are in pain.

If you happen to have access to activated charcoal powder, apply to a wet cloth and use as a compress/ apply directly onto the bite. Or, you can make a poultice, which is, basically, the same thing, however, you would attach it to the site of the bite, and leave it on for about 24 hours, changing it out with a fresh one, approximately, every 6 hours. This will bring oxygen to the area, draw out the venom and minimize swelling and pain.

If the area around the bite happens to be discolored, and, especially, if the discoloration spreads - as others have mentioned, see a practitioner, as soon as feasibly possible. But, not to worry.

I hope you heal quickly. :tulip:

Dammit When I went outside at 3 a.m. to let the dog go pee, a spider got me. It must have crawled up my pantleg, and stung my upper calf. It’s stinging pretty bad. OW.
I don’t think we have browns here and it gets too cold for black widows, but whatever got me, its a formidable pain.

In your area the only spider I can think of might be a bite from a Hobo Spider. Painful, but apparently not serious. Could also potentially be something else like a mosquito, ants, biting fleas or mites. Not many dangerous critters there, especially as it gets colder.

Another possibility is that it may be an abscess. Many people think that they got bit by a spider, when they actually have a bacterial infection. Even when they see two holes on it, like a spider bite, that just might be two heads on the boil.

I would still say that you should do the neosporin, keep it clean, don't touch it, no heat, no squeezing. Ice helps. All the same rules apply.

Except if it's a bacterial abscess, they are very contagious, and you should keep it bandaged and clean. No touching.

The doctor can tell you for sure what it is. He can prescribe antibiotics if it's an abscess.

Thanks for the help you guys.

Wasn’t a mosquito, they don’t cause buring and stinging. I’m thinking it was a hobo spider @Judge.

It is a bright red bump and now very itchy.

@Loren I’ll pick up some activated charcoal and keep it on hand. There are lots of spiders here at this time of year. And I have to take the pup outside at night for her potty needs, at least for another couple of weeks ‘til she can “hold it” all night.

I have 4 small dogs and use indoor pads. I started having them at different spots but slowly changed to only having them on the bathroom floor. Lots of cleaning up, changing pads for me, but no in and out in bad weather. Chihuahuas don't like going in cold or rain anyway. Smart dogs have me trained very well. ;)

Not sure about the bite. When I get such I do online search. Stuff like 'insect bites in (your area). Have to weed thru a lot but usually find good info and pics to compare to.

That it goes from stinging to itching seems pretty specific. Good luck and see a doc if it does not improve.

P.S. I remember reading (here I believe a long while ago) from a nurse member about spiders injecting a venom that breaks down tissue and it can cause a kind of abcess/hole.

My husband was bit by a fire ant on his toe. It was so painful that it pretty much laid him up for a week.
I wonder if you could use baking soda on the bite to help absorb the nasties? It also helps with itching.
You also might consider taking an antihistamine. It will help quell your bodies reaction to the poison.

So sorry to hear that this happened :(
I don’t like spiders very much so I don’t know a lot about them. I would recommend seeing a doctor.
Wishing you a quick recovery!!

@crewlucaa_ No doctor necessary, I can tell this is the same kind of bite (sting?) I got a couple of months ago. It will take a couple of weeks, & then fade back down to a red scar. i guess it is all part of living out here. ;)
Better me than the baby pup. Although her fur is so thick spiders probably can’t get her.

@Tom I’ve been wondering what will ensue for her potty training when the cold wearher really hits.

She is a sheltie, (from Northern Scotland) so maybe she will be able to do her toilet despite deep cold? I hope.
She already gets mad at me if I have chicken and am not sharing it. She figures out “sit” before getting her food - spontaneously.

@Tom I’ve been wondering what will ensue for her potty training when the cold wearher really hits.

She is a sheltie, (from Northern Scotland) so maybe she will be able to do her toilet despite deep cold? I hope.
She already gets mad at me if I have chicken and am not sharing it. She figures out “sit” before getting her food - spontaneously.
Shelties are very smart dogs!! That's amazing that she automatically sits for food. I make all of mine sit before I feed them. (Edit: I meant my dogs in general lol. I don't have Shelties)
My three big ones will sit all around the kitchen table... and drool. But at least they're sitting so I can't complain. Lol
The little one lurks around the kitchen waiting for something to fall on the floor.
I'm fairly sure your Sheltie will be able to go to the bathroom when it's cold. She might just come running back in tho... I think that's what most dogs will do if it gets below freezing. My friend's Pointers do exactly that, if it's less than 40 degrees (Fahrenheit), despite the breed being from where it's not exactly warm all the time. Pointers are cold-averse lol. It's actually highly recommended to put coats on them in the winter because they shiver.
Shelties, and anything else in that family especially Border Collies, are bred to be hardy and work in both ends of extreme temperatures. You often see dogs in the Collie family working sheep in colder parts of Europe, but also in extreme heat on ranches in Australia and the Southwestern US.
Anything from the Shetland Islands, including Shetland Sheep and Shetland Ponies, have thick and usually shaggy coats to protect them from the cold and also bad weather.

@crewlucaa_ thank you.
When Montana winter really gets here then, maybe she can go on a snow-shoveled patch of lawn. (?)
At least being outside in sub-freezing or sub-zero, no night time crawlies with bite me, lol.

@Tom I think my training as an owner is going pretty well. The rough spots are a little less rough, now that we’re past the 1st week of getting to know one another.

She found her white tail tip annoying this morning.
E74AEF67-011C-447A-9F91-0FFC90E7F08E.jpeg

Last edited:
@crewlucaa_ thank you.
When Montana winter really gets here then, maybe she can go on a snow-shoveled patch of lawn. (?)
At least being outside in sub-freezing or sub-zero, no night time crawlies with bite me, lol.
You're very welcome. :)
That sounds like a good idea. I've seen other dog owners clear a patch of grass for their dogs in the snow so they can relieve themselves. Mine just make "lemonade snow cones." Lol

Chihuahuas are pretty adversive to cold, but will go out in shoveled snow areas, or on snow that has crusted over, but I put their sweaters on. They may just go on walkway or driveway, but they are easy to pick up. Or leave till next spring. ;) They don't like rain at all though, and sometimes just won't go out in it, or will start and then run back in. I think your sheltie will be better at it. Just never let them go out unattended. Mine have walked up on hard snow banks and then disappeared in deep soft snow beyond.

Congrats on making it past 1st week. It does get easier. It seemed to me the first month was the hard time and it got a lot easier after that, then again a good upgrade at about 1 year.

I would think a Scottish dog breed would acclimate to cold very well. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may find your pup loves diving in snowdrifts and running in the rain.

We have the black and brown widows here, but, they are a warm weather spider.
Used to have a lot of brown recluse. Then for some reason they migrated further north
and into the mid west areas.

Just watch out for ulcers from the bite or necronizing flesh which can lead to septis.
See a doctor immediately if that happens.
I knew a man who got septis just from a bee sting. It takes antibiotics if anything like that happen.
The Hobo is a painful bite, but, not too dangerous if properly cared for.
We have the Huntsman here also. They are huge and carry a painful bite also.

Take care!

New Threads

Top Bottom