• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Speech

Vitamin Sea

Eight months after starting speech therapy, my son hasn't had any vocal repetition yet. Though at home, he is able to speak yes, no, mama, don't, done. His OT suggested to introduce AAC during his speech classes, and I immediately informed the speech therapist about it. She taught me how to set up an AAC app, in which I could replace some icons with my son's pictures, his favourite food, activities etc. I was just open minded about it and she used the app for two sessions last month.

Then I realised something wasn't right. She didn't make use of the gum massage anymore. She didn't talk to my son cheerfully. The whole session she focused on letting my son eat a pack of cookies, which she would only give every time he pressed the cookie button, and let him drink when he pressed the water button. Basically the speech session turned into an hour of snack time then she gave me feedback.

On the third session I wanted to revert to the typical speech therapy session with the oral massage and vocal repetition, so I thought if I didn't bring my Ipad, she would be forced to give the usual lessons. I also suggested before the session if she could focus on speech. Then she insisted that she really needed the app because all instructional materials would be taken from there. When the lesson started, she got a pack of cookies from my son's bag, opened the AAC app on her phone, and resumed with letting my son press the cookie and water buttons snack time session. Most of the time she was just quiet, no vocal repetition, no cheerful talk, no goodbye song.

During feedback time, she told me in an indignant manner that AAC actually helps with speaking. And my son has to use it all the time. I still made my point about bringing back the usual class routine. Yet she didn't respond to my request. She told me that since her class was only for an hour, I had to do my part of applying AAC at home. I'm open minded to that using augmentative communication, but I still want my son to learn the usual speech lessons. The thing is, she and the OT couldn't directly say, I'm sorry your son is completely non-verbal, so there are no more speech classes but only this alternative communication app lessons. So, our slight disagreement last week was very tense. Failing to mention the nonverbal issue just made it worse and I was missing her point on Aac and she was missing my point on my desired speech class.

I'm deeply frustrated how the speech class has turned into an AAC snack time class. I'm weirded out, and I don't think that I could ever take my son to another session with her this week. The entire weekend, I was just anxious and regretful about why I chose that therapy center.

And while I've read a couple of articles, I want to ask my fellow aspies
What are effective ways to develop speech in a nonverbal child (he is 11 years and can understand basic instructions)?
Does AAC actually help with speech development, other than what is written in journals, do you have any relevant experience?
What are better ways to teach AAC?
Should I look for another speech therapist?

Your answers will be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
"Children and adults with severe speech or language problems may need to find other ways to communicate. There are many types of AAC that they can use. Speech-language pathologists, or SLPs, can help."

"You may have seen someone write in a notebook to answer a question. Maybe you have seen people using sign language or other gestures. You may have seen someone push buttons on a computer that speaks for them. These are all forms of augmentative and alternative communication, or AAC.

AAC includes all of the ways we share our ideas and feelings without talking."

Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)

"A common misconception in Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) is that it will stop someone from learning to speak. Research shows that AAC can have positive effects on speech and language development. It does not stop an AAC user from learning to speak."
Further details within the links below.

Roadblock: AAC will stop a person from learning to speak - AssistiveWare

https://www.rockybay.org.au/wp-cont...oes-Not-Hinder-Natrual-Speech-Development.pdf

On the third session I wanted to revert to the typical speech therapy session with the oral massage and vocal repetition, so I thought if I didn't bring my Ipad, she would be forced to give the usual lessons.
Here's where you went wrong. If you want a different direction, you should open a discussion with the therapist, not force her to change direction by withholding the Ipad. You are making her job harder if not impossible by that kind of passive-aggressive maneuver. So now you are thinking of discharging the therapist completely.

As for the nonverbal issue, I can't comment. I have no experience with that. Good luck with your son.

"Children and adults with severe speech or language problems may need to find other ways to communicate. There are many types of AAC that they can use. Speech-language pathologists, or SLPs, can help."

"You may have seen someone write in a notebook to answer a question. Maybe you have seen people using sign language or other gestures. You may have seen someone push buttons on a computer that speaks for them. These are all forms of augmentative and alternative communication, or AAC.

AAC includes all of the ways we share our ideas and feelings without talking."

Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)

"A common misconception in Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) is that it will stop someone from learning to speak. Research shows that AAC can have positive effects on speech and language development. It does not stop an AAC user from learning to speak."
Further details within the links below.

Roadblock: AAC will stop a person from learning to speak - AssistiveWare

https://www.rockybay.org.au/wp-cont...oes-Not-Hinder-Natrual-Speech-Development.pdf

Thank you.

Here's where you went wrong. If you want a different direction, you should open a discussion with the therapist, not force her to change direction by withholding the Ipad. You are making her job harder if not impossible by that kind of passive-aggressive maneuver. So now you are thinking of discharging the therapist completely.

As for the nonverbal issue, I can't comment. I have no experience with that. Good luck with your son.

Thank you.
I was too upset, and there’s too much undercurrent.
The OT casually told me, I suggest your son to try AAC in his speech class. There was something in the way he said it that made me think it was only like 30 percent of the lesson.

It would have been better if they told me something like, despite all our efforts your son is still nonverbal. The lessons from now on will completely change to Aac.

I know hearing the truth would trigger my panic attacks but the way things turned out now has given me a truckload of anxiety.

I also explained to her before and after the session about focusing on speech lessons, she didnt give a yes or no answer to my request. In fact, we were doing parallel talk during feedback.
i.e. Me: I want the class with gum massage and vocal repetition.
Teacher: I can only teach AAC to your son once a week. You should be able to apply it in your home for the rest of the week.

I can’t describe how weird our conversation was, but I still managed to maintain my composure. We just don’t meet eye to eye anymore.

New Threads

Top Bottom