• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special interests that are too niche to be relatable?

That style of music is called Batucada and can be found in many places thru-out Latin America, especially Brazil.

I am not sure what you mean by feel but for me it exerts a powerful influence and is almost impossible to not start moving with physically and it has a pleasant effect on my mind, like a hard drive cleaning.

Yes, that’s partially how I feel it too. Like I said, it’s hard to describe!
I love going to nightclubs and dancing.

Batucada is really cool. I was not too familiar with it but I specialize in European folk instruments (long story, I’m not European) but I’m really fascinated by percussion music from other cultures too.

I have a pretty big collection of drums and most are “modern” kit drums, and various frame drums, but I have a Cajon (box drum) and a Djembe in there too. There are lots of pictures of my drums on here but they’re a bit scattered in random threads lol!

@crewlucaa_ which EDM music you like?

It's kinda relatable - I like MMORPG, but Asian and grind, I like speculative fiction - but I don't like and ignore 99% of US & UK series, etc. There is too much cultural dominance. I read widely, but most of the books are by hardly known world writers from countries "nobody cares about". Etc.

@crewlucaa_ which EDM music you like?

It's kinda relatable - I like MMORPG, but Asian and grind, I like speculative fiction - but I don't like and ignore 99% of US & UK series, etc. There is too much cultural dominance. I read widely, but most of the books are by hardly known world writers from countries "nobody cares about". Etc.

I like harder Electro House stuff mostly, and anything that sounds “dirty” or “grimy,” so like a lot of Fidget/Jackin/Garage type stuff, and Riddim lol. I like Hardstyle to an extent and most Dubstep and DnB.
I will tolerate things like melodic House, Progressive House, etc but I like music with less vocals and more grit.

There are a handful of more mainstream Pop EDM songs I like but it’s not my go-to. I make short dog training videos and I usually use the more mainstream stuff in those! Most of my preferred music wouldn’t appeal to a wider audience.

I’m in America, and there is too much cultural dominance here in music, for sure. Most of the music I listen to is not American and/or not in English lol.

I read a lot of foreign books too but almost all of what I read is nonfiction.
This is a current favorite:

44F6AF04-27B0-4214-9734-B91094BD12B6.jpeg

I always have had some interests that are very specific and uncommon in a general sense. With some I have felt the need to hide them to due to fear of ridicule or of being considered childish. A lot of my interests are connected to history in some way.

One is a long standing interest in the medieval period, or medieval sub-culture as one friend put it. It has become more common and accepted over time, but back in the 60's and 70's making your own armor and swords etc, was considered quite weird. I would wait till late at night to go into the backyard to pseudo train swinging them around (quite heavy! murder on the wrists).

I also collected toy soldiers, especially medieval ones and built castles. I loved to set up elaborate scenes, and when young could play battles with a few trusted friends whom I converted to the interest. But when I reached teens I moved and no longer had those friends and had to go undercover for a very long time. But I never stopped and now don't care what people think. Also, as I mentioned, figure collecting in general has become more mainstream (ie action figures).

During my hobby 'dark ages' I could only occasionally let it show, albeit stealthily, like painting a medieval looking dragon on a surfboard a friend built for me.

I like harder Electro House stuff mostly, and anything that sounds “dirty” or “grimy,” so like a lot of Fidget/Jackin/Garage type stuff, and Riddim lol. I like Hardstyle to an extent and most Dubstep and DnB.
I will tolerate things like melodic House, Progressive House, etc but I like music with less vocals and more grit.

There are a handful of more mainstream Pop EDM songs I like but it’s not my go-to. I make short dog training videos and I usually use the more mainstream stuff in those! Most of my preferred music wouldn’t appeal to a wider audience.

I’m in America, and there is too much cultural dominance here in music, for sure. Most of the music I listen to is not American and/or not in English lol.

I read a lot of foreign books too but almost all of what I read is nonfiction.
This is a current favorite:

View attachment 78910

I'm a dog fan too. I am especially interested in the historical study and discoveries being made on how and when dogs were domesicated and their role in human affairs. There still is quite a bit of uncertainty and back and forth as sometimes the new archeology finds or DNA studies only reverse the findings of the previous ones. As far as animal domestication goes dogs are in a class of their own as no other animal comes even close as to how long they have been domesicated and interacting with humans. But oddly, I do think the argument could be made that dogs actually domesticated us. I sorta feel that way with my overlord Chihuahuas. ;)

I always have had some interests that are very specific and uncommon in a general sense. With some I have felt the need to hide them to due to fear of ridicule or of being considered childish. A lot of my interests are connected to history in some way.

One is a long standing interest in the medieval period, or medieval sub-culture as one friend put it. It has become more common and accepted over time, but back in the 60's and 70's making your own armor and swords etc, was considered quite weird. I would wait till late at night to go into the backyard to pseudo train swinging them around (quite heavy! murder on the wrists).

I also collected toy soldiers, especially medieval ones and built castles. I loved to set up elaborate scenes, and when young could play battles with a few trusted friends whom I converted to the interest. But when I reached teens I moved and no longer had those friends and had to go undercover for a very long time. But I never stopped and now don't care what people think. Also, as I mentioned, figure collecting in general has become more mainstream (ie action figures).

During my hobby 'dark ages' I could only occasionally let it show, albeit stealthily, like painting a medieval looking dragon on a surfboard a friend built for me.

At least now you can go to a renaissance faire and find some folks sharing the interests--same with the Society for Creative Anachronism.

I like medieval philosophy, art, and literature, and dabble in that stuff. Swords & catapults sound fun though!

At least now you can go to a renaissance faire and find some folks sharing the interests--same with the Society for Creative Anachronism.

I like medieval philosophy, art, and literature, and dabble in that stuff. Swords & catapults sound fun though!

Have you ever watched Ancient Discoveries? It is currently on the History Vault app and one of my favourite shows on the planet.

They're better than the average revival band, for sure. Here is an original cover for comparison--
The Phil Spitainy Orch. plays a great swing version while I think Pasadena Roof goes for early jazz. Both bring a smile to my face.

I like little of Country, but Western Swing, especially Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, is my favorite. Yet, Asleep at the Wheel, put out a great tribute album with well known musicians sitting in among the tracks.

Have you ever watched Ancient Discoveries? It is currently on the History Vault app and one of my favourite shows on the planet.

No, I don't watch shows & stuff--besides, History Vault is $4.99 a month and I don't like subscription services because I forget they're there & end up paying more than I want for stuff. Financial anxiety is huge for me.

This is pretty much what I have in my living room for entertainment and none of it will download an app. The only "screen" is the mosquito mesh on the screen-door. Organ is from 1892 and the record player is about a 1912 model. There is another record player from 1928 set up under the window. Pardon the mess; I'm in the middle of moving house.

living room stuff.jpg

Hi Luca, I'm going to hand over the keyboard for a moment for a guest post from my husband, who has a lot of unusual interests I love. The most niche of his interests is writing long analytical essays on Cybermen - particularly, on audio drama episodes containing Cybermen. Very few people write about this, and I always read his essays with great interest. I personally think all this niche stuff is very cool and don't think it needs to be any cause for embarrassment - why should anyone feel bad about having non-mainstream interests? Handing you over to Brett now. :)

---

Hello, I'm Brett! To start with, try being a bloke in Australia and not being interested in sport (esp. "footy") or cars. That limits your conversation with most other blokes to pretty much zero. Author William Gibson often writes about characters with deep niche interests, because I assume he himself has deep niche interests. Pattern Recognition features characters who are obsessed with mystery online footage; other characters who obsessively collect and catalogue antique mechanical calculators, or TRS-80s (an old 80s computer from the UK). Deep niche people are cool.

Okay, I think we all have a personal mythology. In the old days it was Thor, or Osiris, or whatever your culture was. These days, we don't have a pantheon, we have media. So my mythology, the stories about Gods and Heroes and Tricksters and Monsters and Mighty Deeds, is basically the BBC TV series Doctor Who I watched growing up.

s1_13_wal_04.jpg

The Daleks (above) are probably the best known adversaries of the Doctor and his friends, with a distinctive voice and design, and being essentially hysterical xenophobic genocidal Nazis in tin-cans, they have a certain magnetic appeal. But my imagination was captured by the Cybermen ...

To start with, visually, they're amazing. They probably look like robots, and look a bit funny with their "ear handles". But its genius. The design of the Cybermen has changed radically over the years, but the silhouette on pretty much any version of the Cybermen is unmistakable.

v1-head.jpg

This is the first model from 1965! They are deeply weird looking. AND theY SPeaK wiTH A verY STRanGE intONAtION.

And here's how they evolved:

v2-head.jpg
v5-head.jpg

Everything from the last one (1969 or so) has been variations on that. They speak differently too. Some talk in a buzzy electronic tone; some speak a bit like Lord Vader.

So what are they? They're an extrapolation of medical science, the 60s fear of the new science of "spare part surgery" -- pacemakers, artificial limbs, etc. These are people who have replaced almost all of their bodies with machine parts, and then neurosurgically altered their brains to remove all their emotion as well. And they think that everyone should be like them.

So that's niche, kind of. But I'm even more niche than that. There's a company called Big Finish that makes audio drama of Doctor Who, and because Cybermen are a popular monster, and are vocally distinct (important in audio drama), they've done stories with them. And because they're a spin-off media company, producing these when nobody really cared, they could do some amazing things.

You see, the problem was no matter how much I liked the concept, and the design, the stories they were in that we had access to were mostly pretty awful. So that disappointed me greatly. But Big Finish could do more modern stories, with more complex and adult ideas and situations, and they really fulfilled the potential of the Cybermen. And I'm fascinated enough to want to unpick those stories and see what makes them work, to look at the themes and ideas.

I'll quote from one of my essays here, slightly edited ...

... And Yvonne’s conversion is one of the most tragic and heartbreaking scenes in any Doctor Who story. To start with, she’s introduced sympathetically in Episode 1 as part of a normal family. Her Dad clearly loves her, and she argues with Frank, her younger brother. When Yvonne and Nyssa meet, the become friends quickly. She also has a serious lung disease that makes her cough and require continual medication. Sisterman Constant gives a rueful, pitying report of her and determines she’s a candidate for being a surface-worker. In Episode 2 she’s made even more vulnerable as, still coughing, she reports for duty, and has her clothes taken away. She’s naked but eager to get her “uniform” (i.e. what she thinks a Cyberman is). Doctorman Allan mocks her and tells her authoritatively to stand back in line. When the conversion happens, she’s told by an attending Cyberman that she will be "the future". We hear her cries for help, her whimpers, and then the surgical power tools. And then something extraordinary happens: the power goes out. The surgery is complete, but the mental processing is not quite finished, and Cyber-Yvonne wanders away.

She encounters the Doctor and Dodd, the black-market spare parts dealer, who with distaste describes her as “bloody horrible.” In response she says, in Nicholas Briggs’ Cybervoice, in half childlike wonder, half puzzled dismay, “Am I horrible?”

My God. [Another character] begging for death is a pale imitation of this newborn creature, the remnant of a character we sympathise with, questioning its own appearance and identity.

... Dodd further observes that “it stinks of antiseptic,” and the Doctor responds that they’ve always smelled like that. Who doesn’t associate antiseptic with hospitals, treatment rooms, surgery, sickness and pain? Robert Holmes wrote the line that “there’s nothing quite so evocative as one’s sense of smell,” and Platt here uses the principle to devastating effect. It’s a fantastic detail, again linking Cybermen with their medical background, and enriching our experience of the television series. Why isn’t this mentioned again in any Cyberman story?

I suspect it’s the later scene of Cyber-Yvonne returning home is what Russell T Davies is talking about when he praises the story. Dad and Frank Hartley don’t understand that the monster that bashes their door down and invades their home is their daughter, their sister, catastrophically transformed.

Nicholas Briggs is called to do a range of voices for this story: the flat, halting voice of the police, the weird intonations of the Cybermen, the deeper, authoritative voice of Cybercommander Zheng, the buzzy Committee/Cyberplanner. But nowhere does he turn in a more astonishing performance than when he voices Cyber-Yvonne. She mewls like a newborn, gurgles and whimpers softly; a strange sound that with the sound processing occasionally resembles the tones of a modem. She screams as her family try to take the “mask” off, and you hear her crying afterwards. And it’s Nicholas Briggs sitting at a microphone reading Platt’s lines and breaking your heart. Finally, the power returns and her programming completes automatically and she cries out electronically for Frank and Dad, before her personality is subsumed and wiped away for ever.

... Marc Platt and the 5th Doctor treat the Cybermen primarily as victims, and Peter Davison delivers a compelling performance brimming with anger on their behalf. The Cybermen are pejoratively referred to as “tinned leftovers,” “animated corpses,” “walking wounded,” “road accidents,” and most often as simply “horrible.” The Cybermen have never been treated sympathetically before. These are people who used to have identities and feelings, not just "The Monster of the Week"​

There.

Essays posted to a niche forum about a monster in a niche spin-off in an even more niche media (audio drama) of a cult TV series.

Nobody I know to speak to has any interest in any of that, or even remembers what the Cybermen were if they watched the program at all.

But writing about things helps me to understand them, and re-examine them, and see them with news eyes, and enjoy them in a deeper way. I post these to a Doctor Who forum, but even there, among people who know what I'm talking about, they're not well read much less commented on

But it's what I do. Good writing practice. Helps keep me sane, even though sometimes you do feel a bit lonely.

The scene/s (audio only) I refer to can be heard here:

I started a new villanelle story run. Ended up having to pull up tercet works on three other, no four other, background pieces. Two are villanelles, Spoon's newest piece is villanelle, and the other are single scheme tercet. Spoon, Tack, Marr, the Moondark Macaques of the 37th Parallel, and the Klingentine. The Wild Dogs of Tenebrous Wold are back in play and this is chaos. If anyone understood one word in five of that...Congratulations you can now speak Muppet.

I started a new villanelle story run. Ended up having to pull up tercet works on three other, no four other, background pieces. Two are villanelles, Spoon's newest piece is villanelle, and the other are single scheme tercet. Spoon, Tack, Marr, the Moondark Macaques of the 37th Parallel, and the Klingentine. The Wild Dogs of Tenebrous Wold are back in play and this is chaos. If anyone understood one word in five of that...Congratulations you can now speak Muppet.

I really need to keep working on my english o_O

I dislike Macaques. No primate scares me as much. In Malaysia, I've encountered Black Macaques at Batu Caves and other places and they will mug you if they think you have food. But, in comparison, I have encountered Crested Macaques in Sulawesi and they are quite peaceful (and at twilight got to see Tarsiers).

(added) And, no 37th parallel for these, I was near the 2nd parallel South. (yes, I am a Shellback)

Last edited:
I don’t fit in well with *serious* art students. I tried art school, it didn’t work!
I got my BFA and have qualms about some of the things serious artists believe in. Honestly I'm glad my skills significantly improved during college, but I did not like the attitude of some professors there on art. Plus, there's always been a huge debate on the technical vs. conceptual in the art community too. I did a bunch of art for my emotional well-being and enjoyed it. If you want to talk about therapeutic art, we can!

I’m kind of looking for advice but also interested in hearing others’ thoughts and what your most unusual interests are.
I don't have autistic special interests (capital letters) but I do like things that are considered odd by many. I like to collect stuffed animals, and people consider that childish. I have hand-sewed two and they look alright. Also, sometimes I get the urge to collect small things that are visually appealing, like a tiny piece of film, shells, wrappers if they look sparkly and colorful, etc. I don't actively seek them out, but sometimes when I see one I'll pocket it, and later think "what junk did I just take??"

As a kid, I was interested in martial arts but was laughed at because that's a "boy's thing." Now I'm the biggest otaku you'll ever know. Now I like online gaming, and that's also considered a guy's thing, but I'm not listening to that anymore. Whelp, normal is overrated.

Just remembered that sometime last year I got interested in medieval grimoires. Kinda interested in witchcraft and all that, but at the same time I don't believe it to be real since I'm not spiritual at all. Started reading a book on the history of grimoires and couldn't finish it because I got busy, will get back to it someday.

I don't have autistic special interests (capital letters) but I do like things that are considered odd by many. I like to collect stuffed animals, and people consider that childish. I have hand-sewed two and they look alright. Also, sometimes I get the urge to collect small things that are visually appealing, like a tiny piece of film, shells, wrappers if they look sparkly and colorful, etc. I don't actively seek them out, but sometimes when I see one I'll pocket it, and later think "what junk did I just take??"
My dad doesn’t understand my fascination with fashion dolls or the porcelain dolls I have collected. I mainly like them for their details and materials used to make them and the porcelain dolls I collect have music boxes inside of them. I am only collecting the ones that I really like and I might change the clothes and style the hair of fashion dolls but I’m not playing out soap operas with them. Brushing the hair is just soothing to me and I have done some creative things with the hair before including giving a Barbie a perfectly round Afro which was completely unintentional.

I was asked to submit five pieces for publication in July...sittin' on the floor wondering what timeline I walked into.

I remember watching a QI episode on what is normal.

I think what's abnormal is not having any unusual traits about yourself, or interests. If that makes sense.

Sometimes I come across something that was just in it's own dimension, and nothing seemed to replicate it or come across similar.

Like the soundtrack from GT-4, I can't find anything like it. It's totally unique.

New Threads

Top Bottom