• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special interest or fallen in love? Please share your experiences/thoughts

Multiple times throughout my life, I've experienced having a person as a special interest. It usually feels like a very intense "I need to know all about you - even the stuff you don't want me to know". But what/who I thought was my latest special interest, might have turned to me being in love. It's no longer the "I need to know everything", but more like "I really want an emotional connection. I want to hug you goodnight, and I want to say good morning. I want to share the rest of my life and have us create "team us". I want to plan holidays with you, and meet your family. I want to experience new things with you, and I want to be silent together, while we both just do our own things. But most importantly, I want you to feel happy, safe and respected." And I've never had those emotions before in my life. Granted it's been a few years since my last special interest being in a person, but am I experiencing what NTs would describe as falling in love?

Do any of you have experiences with both sensations, and could you describe how it felt to you? I know we're all unique and experience love and interests in our own way. But it would be very helpful if you could share how it felt for you.

i dont think i can say i've been in love with someone, and i also dont think i've felt what you described, but it sounds like you really care for this person. do they know how you feel?

I've had both happen separately, but never with the same person.

When it comes to "finding out everything about a person", it's generally a historic figure or an online personality, so there is a lot of material about them out there (or even better, a finite amount you can get around to with enough effort), but when I've fallen in love, it has always been with a friend or someone I am close to. In those cases I don't really feel a need to know everything about them since they aren't an interest for me like in the former case, but rather someone I like spending time with.

Do you know how the other person feels about you? Do you know them? Have you spoken about this type of stuff with them? You can have strong feelings about a person, but still know it's ultimately for the best not to get romantically entangled. I think it might also make things a bit awkward if you know some things about them which they want to keep private.

I think l feel a little creepy if l had to know everything about somebody, l like not knowing everything. It's like a present, and you open it up and discover great things about the person you are attracted to. But l did want to call this one person everyday to hear his voice. And that was a no go. He has a voice like butter. So beautiful. But he doesn't like to talk much. Yet he clearly has a gorgeous voice and a inflection of Boston and New York, very interesting mixture. Beat me, whip me, make me write bad checks, never mind, just call me. Lol

Last edited:
Not both.
"I really want an emotional connection. I want to hug you goodnight, and I want to say good morning. I want to share the rest of my life and have us create "team us". I want to plan holidays with you, and meet your family. I want to experience new things with you, and I want to be silent together, while we both just do our own things. But most importantly, I want you to feel happy, safe and respected."
But, definitely this part currently for someone. I do think it’s love.

Multiple times throughout my life, I've experienced having a person as a special interest. It usually feels like a very intense "I need to know all about you - even the stuff you don't want me to know". But what/who I thought was my latest special interest, might have turned to me being in love. It's no longer the "I need to know everything", but more like "I really want an emotional connection. I want to hug you goodnight, and I want to say good morning. I want to share the rest of my life and have us create "team us". I want to plan holidays with you, and meet your family. I want to experience new things with you, and I want to be silent together, while we both just do our own things. But most importantly, I want you to feel happy, safe and respected." And I've never had those emotions before in my life. Granted it's been a few years since my last special interest being in a person, but am I experiencing what NTs would describe as falling in love?

Do any of you have experiences with both sensations, and could you describe how it felt to you? I know we're all unique and experience love and interests in our own way. But it would be very helpful if you could share how it felt for you.
I have had something like this, I think. My first and only long-term relationship isn't the example, but I only mention that to contrast my experiences with relationships throughout young adulthood. In high school I was prone to limerence and just pure unrequited love. I had crushes all the time on all kinds of girls, which I was always awkward about and had no idea how to initiate (largely due to *coughs* my autism and lots of insecurities) and these crushes would just go nowhere. I fixated on the idea of a relationship, and was admittedly an incel and nice-guy all in one. I didn't understand why girls I was attracted to made me just so nervous.

Things changed in college, where I was drawn to one particular girl for reasons which I couldn't identify. A fellow musician whose presence was calming and soothing, but I was still giddy and full of butterflies. Yes, I was attracted to her physically but there was also something more than that. I felt I could be safe with her--as if there was some mutual connection which I had no idea how to identify. I didn't love her, or lust for her (but being an inexperienced young man, how could I tell the difference between the two?) but I just...we both felt as though we needed one another in one another's lives. The trouble was that a lot of guys (all of us similar) had this sense of being drawn to her; it was mystifying.

Things did not progress, though we tried to keep in touch during the summer which was troublesome for her due to health issues, and plans for marriage with a fellow Catholic which ended up not happening. When returning to school, we kept in touch online for a little while until one day when she just...stopped showing up to school. I was distraught and beside myself--for years I fixated on just knowing what happened to her--was she well and safe? It was jarring to not hear anything from her. I figured I must've done something wrong for her to just...cut contact. To this day I have no idea what happened, but I stopped falling into escapism and intrusive thoughts regarding her.

Aside from all of that, my long-term relationship is essentially what OP has described above. It's been a long road and we've learned a lot about one another, and each day with them is a gift.

Yes I think the latter is falling in love. You end up wanting to never leave the beloved. Love songs start making sense.

After isolation, being shy and fearful of judgement/rejection, I started breaking that down with a special interest in learning social communication. I think only then I was prepared for a relationship. My second was a friendship with a women when we planned a road trip to a project in the Smoky Mountains National Park. Never had I felt so good about being vulnerable to somebody. It was love, especially as I was looking for a woman who liked outdoor activities and she was looking for a man she could do such activities with. Previous to this I would have been unable to profess my love to a woman, but I felt so secure that I was able to be so vulnerable.

Added - I may as well mention this. At 28 I was still a virgin and terribly inexperienced. What happened between us solidified the love I felt for her. After an exceptionally nice day together I thought she had feelings for me. I went waaaaay out of my comfort zone and asked her if she would like to make love. I never had asked any woman that before. My mind instantly panicked at the thought of ruining our friendship. She patiently and kindly told me that sex would take our friendship to a new level. I never expected to be so accepted and felt devoted to her. I was very focused on her pleasure, unlike other men, that she really thought that I was the one for her.

We are still having adventures together.

Last edited:
For me, love turned out to be, the most mundane boring chores were like out of a movie, just really enjoyed being with them. A bike ride, a tennis game, breakfast and dinner together. But it wasn't meant to be l guess and l have boxed up a lot of those feelings and packed them away. I think just being emotionally healthy is more important these days.

I agree that love is enjoying the mundane together. I still feel that way with my spouse. One way I show my love is cooking. Without any real good BBQ place nearby (one actually boils their ribs!!! UGH) I am making ribs for dinner using my homemade dry rub. After an initial cooking, they have been smoking for 5 hours. Now will get the Coleslaw ready.

...having a person as a special interest. It usually feels like a very intense "I need to know all about you - even the stuff you don't want me to know".
I don't think that most of what you wrote is exactly like falling in love. Most of it sounds more like limerence.

The main thing for me is, I gave this type of special interest up in 1990. After the last of several unfortunate results with this type of special interest and its deleterious effects on my mental health, I finally learned my lesson. Now, if I feel this kind of interest starting, I turn it off, immediately. At least there was some progress in better understanding social limits.

I don't get out as often as I need to and don't really meet with people as much as I should. As a result, I don't think I've really had feelings of love, or at least that of what's portrayed in NT media. I will say though, that I have gotten butterflies in my stomach from seeing a cute or handsome person, but I feel like it's more social anxiety, or the feeling of distrust.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've decided to see if this feeling will eventually pass. Not only do I live in supported living, he lives in a different country where it's not only hotter (I can't stand heat), a different language and different culture (kissing cheeks = hello? No thanks. Eye contact is very intimate for me, hugs even more so. Nobody is going to kiss my cheeks, except a partner.)

Btw. I really appreciate this community, although I've had the need to take some time off the interwebs for a few weeks.

New Threads

Top Bottom