• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sound Frequency Sensitivity

Dragonsblood

I know a lot of you are sensitive to sound but does anyone else that your reaction to certain sounds can either make you want to punch a wall if they're unpleasant or if they are pleasant, send you to the 7th heaven? Alarms, car horns, cash register beeping, ugh, get that noise away from me! Certain music, however, better than the best drug in the world! My ex used to get concerned about how swept up in the music I would get if we were at a concert together. He'd say, "You look like you're getting off!" & I would respond, "Yeah & what's so bad about that?

The only sound I hate, is when something rubs against the frost buildup in a freezer; makes me shudder, just thinking of it does it as well

It's very common. The idea that sensitivities are to a category as broad as sound, light, texture or taste is a commonly held misperception. We are all susceptible to particular stimuli within the broader categories. In my case I'm driven up the wall by "people noise". Chatter, whistling and especially baby-talk can go through me like nails being driven into my skull.
I talk about sensory issues and describe my own auditory sensitivities in this:

I do get spooked by sudden noises and the beeping that my mother's phone game produces does drive me crazy
but the first might be natural reactive instinct.

Low frequency sounds like a neighbor's audio system subwoofer can slowly distract me. Sometimes to a point where I simply don on a pair of ear protectors I would normally wear at any shooting range.

Sudden high frequency sounds like a small child screaming at the top of their lungs can send me into a ceiling of a large store like Walmart too. Truly painful at times.

Worst of all, I have tinnitus. A mercilessly perpetual high-pitched ringing in my right ear. A condition for which presently there is no cure.

Last edited:
Yeah, people noise is bad, especially whispering for some reason. How anyone can enjoy those asmr videos with whispering is beyond me! Fact, I find a lot of them quite iritating, all those little sounds amplified, ugh! That horrible Samsung whistle tone, I'm glad I hardly hear it these days because I so had to fight the urge to give the person responsible a dirty look!
Obviously, a lot of us hate certain sounds but I just wonder if the other extreme, loving certain sounds "too much" (according to the normies) is an aspie thing as well.

Well if the many tales I've heard from other autistics about finding music helps them concentrate or take their minds off problems is anything to go by, I guess you're not alone. Playing favourite albums or even songs on a loop is a common story too, I know I do. At work I find I keep coming back to the same album over and over despite having thousands of tracks and mixes on my music thumb drive.
I even mentioned how people noise is a problem to me but I play loud, raucous music to concentrate back in my 1st autism video.

Yeh, for me it's dogs yapping, children shrieking, motorbikes, car horns, supermarket scanner, music with high pitched waily mostly female voices. A lot of R&B is like that - ugh!

Yeah, people noise is bad, especially whispering for some reason. How anyone can enjoy those asmr videos with whispering is beyond me! Fact, I find a lot of them quite iritating, all those little sounds amplified, ugh! That horrible Samsung whistle tone, I'm glad I hardly hear it these days because I so had to fight the urge to give the person responsible a dirty look!
Obviously, a lot of us hate certain sounds but I just wonder if the other extreme, loving certain sounds "too much" (according to the normies) is an aspie thing as well.
I do have a slight fetish for that sound you get when having loose objects in a container and shake it
which everyone else around me hates of course.

Just simple sounds are the best. But l defintely am OCD about listening to my music songs over and over. I got rid of music, thought l outgrew it, then went right back and purchased the digital and hard versions again. Alot of my music l need to help feel energetic like caffeine, everything helps as you age.

I do enjoy certain ambient sounds to relax, and even go to sleep.

Rainfall in particular, played as a digital file looped in my clock radio.

listening to a full album usually tires me out mentally so I've been finding myself quite often listening to my mp3 in bed lately.

Yes! Workmen hammering nails into the outside of my house for external repairs. Impact driver noise fixing plasterboard, cupboards anything. I wanted to kill them or run away (neither a viable option as they were in my home). Off-road bikes/quads that drive up & down my street. All this shakes my brain inside my skull & I get SO wound up. My latest visit to the dental hygienist was agony (brain, ears & tooth pain).

I've tried listening to music/meditate but seem to have become over sensitised now so my old relief outlet doesn't work. It makes me more tense. I can't stand low - level hum either, like my fridge. I too have now got tinnitus, I have a multitude of frequencies going on constantly with some extra 'tunings' added on now and again. Yet I am not deafened, I can still hear a mouse fart @ 1000 yards away! Please don't shout at me :-/

Sounds I hate:
chewing
smacking
slurping
Lil Wayne. I love “Scared of the Dark” from Into the Spiderverse, but I have to turn it off as soon as Lil Wayne comes on.

Sounds I absolutely love:
Crunching autumn leaves
Waves on the shore
Rain and thunder
A little glass hourglass with plastic beads that makes the most magical plinking noise, that my wife bought me for my birthday because she saw how much I geeked out over it at the store.

Last edited:
Yeah, car horn honking makes me want to bang my head against a wall, get a concussion and die. Must be better than noise. Or you know, go kill them all. Kidding. But that's how I feel. I'm not sure I have some happy sound at all, I guess I'm ok with certain sounds, and I have the radio on to block out other sounds during the day. But enjoy? no.

Low frequency sounds like a neighbor's audio system subwoofer can slowly distract me. Sometimes to a point where I simply don on a pair of ear protectors I would normally wear at any shooting range.

Sudden high frequency sounds like a small child screaming at the top of their lungs can send me into a ceiling of a large store like Walmart too. Truly painful at times.

Worst of all, I have tinnitus. A mercilessly perpetual high-pitched ringing in my right ear. A condition for which presently there is no cure.
I have the same problems! The booming voice of people on TV torture the heck out of me, and my mother claims she and my brother could barely hear or understand what the people on TV are saying. But the gd bass volume! And high noises at any volume are the WORST! I also have a problem with the high-pitched beeeeeeeep in my ears, sometimes. Maybe I have tinnitus? But I don't wanna jump to conclusions.

Yeah, car horn honking makes me want to bang my head against a wall, get a concussion and die. Must be better than noise. Or you know, go kill them all. Kidding. But that's how I feel. I'm not sure I have some happy sound at all, I guess I'm ok with certain sounds, and I have the radio on to block out other sounds during the day. But enjoy? no.
I have a long list of noises, but earbuds with music (metal or rap without high pitches) protect me from everyday torture as long as I keep them in my ears at all times unless I'm getting wet like in a shower or swimming pool.

i also have tinnitus and misophonia (especially as pertains to "mouth noises")
i absolutely adore the sounds of running water, rain, thunderstorms and wind blowing. stormy nights always bring the best sleep for me as the sounds bring me to the most relaxed state possible for me through the chronic pain and and constant running thought processes.

New Threads

Top Bottom