• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Soul Mates

Yes, I have got a soul mate who I apparently then started to go out with. So for me it turned into a love story in the end. :wub:

**edit: it failed** :(

Yes I do, and already as a little kid I knew "who" it was. But I lost faith in ever finding him.

Don't lose faith. I did find him in the end.

Before I can answer to the question I need you to describe me what you mean by "soul mate". People have different meanings for soul mate, you see.

I don't know.
If by soul mate you mean someone made for you(which is the only definition I've heard of) I just found it really stupid when the people at my school were explaining it to me(basically every technology lesson they'd explain something like that).
I think for one the theory falls to peaces when you find out there's a disproportional amount of females to males which messes up regardless of your sexuality... I think... I'd be very surprised if there was an even number of homosexual males, homosexual females, heterosexual males, heterosexual females, etc. and of which each one had a perfect match.
My sort of boyfriend(it's complex) goes on about destiny and stuff all the time and the first time we started talking to each other after a couple of months we started talking about it again and made it clear I thought it was bs but he still keeps bringing it up.
TBH he's not the sort of person who you can have a proper philosophical discussion about most things though so meh.
Even if there was I'm thinking it's statistically unlikely I'd actually find him(I don't see my self getting on with another female).
EMZ=]

I was thinking about how I was going to answer the question. Then this morning someone answered the question for me. I got an email from my first girlfriend - we were bf/gf for about 18 months, and actually physically together for only half that time. We broke up 7 years ago. Anyway, here is the email:

Dear 142857,

How are you? Things are pretty much the same here, just thinking about where to go, when and why. Easier to go westward toward the US and use my Emerald status to the best I think. Mostly just bored.

To be honest, I've been thinking, and more importantly, dreaming about you a lot lately. It would mean a lot if you would send me an email and maybe we could chat a bit.

Sometimes I'm out and I see men who look like what I imagine you to look like now, and well, I can't avert my gaze. It's been too long since I've seen you, I miss you a lot.

love,
-----

So I guess that a soul mate is someone who still feels like that about you after 7 years, even after you have both gone on to marry different people. The funny thing is that I had been thinking about her just lately as well, which is what inspired me to kick the thread off.

I don't believe in fate or predestiny. I don't believe that there is one person who each person on Earth is meant to be with. But sometimes you can have an almost magical connection with the most unlikely person at the most unlikely time in your life.

I've got to send her a reply and tell her how much she means/meant to me. Try and lift her spirits a bit. She suffers from bipolar disorder, and part of me is worried that she may be on the precipice of another "crash". I don't know how her marriage is, but if she is thinking of moving from London back to the US then it may not be all that healthy.

Funny thing is that I posted this thread in the "advice" subforum by mistake, and now I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do.

Chris is my soul mate. If we weren't meant to be together then..well it was just a massive coincidence that we found each other and are so similar. When we had an assessment for Aspergers and the results for each of us came out practically the same we were just like.. :blink:

I believe in soul mates, and if you want to bring God and rilgion into the whole thing I believe that when one goes to Heaven (no such luck for the sickos that go to Hell) you'll be 100% certen that you'll fall in love with your soul mate and marry him/her.

(for those that are interted I've written stuff in the past about this on other sites that go into more detail and even give an expiantion as to why in the Bible Jesus said that there was no such thing as people getting married in Heaven even though everyone who wish's to get married is married in Heaven, even if this was not the case on Earth!)

You can meet your soulmate on Earth (if he/she is still alive as you may have a soulmate who live long before you were even born) or you can meet them in Heaven, what doen not change is the fact you'll meet them one day.

Goodbye Till Next time

Yes, and I think I have found them. But we are not talking at present.
But I think a soulmate is anyone who you really feel "one" with etc, so you really could find lots of soulmates. I don't think there is one you are destined to find, because that would be impossible. There is no science behind that either.

I used to love the romantic idea of a soul mate, yet after a years worth of more adult experience of meeting guys I think it's just a myth that's nice to believe in but not reality.

I don't think there are soulmates in the sense of one person to meet; I think there are any number of people out this world that are close enough in personality for you to feel happy with in your life.

As I heard once, we're not so unique as to never find enough people at any given time that we have stuff enough in common with to be friends or have a deep relationship.

i have yet to find a soul mate ... i had thought i found him... but it turned out he had decided to date someone he had dated before. he and i are best friends and he decided that when he came home he wanted me to meet her so i did and we get along great. my best friend alex and his girlfriend alexa do not have aspergers but they are my best friends and except me for who i am . i don't know what the future holds and who knows he could still end up being my soul mate if something happens to change and if it doesn't i except that . he has considered me his best friend and said i am like a sister to him. he will not let anyone hurt me and usually steps in if someone has not treated me well and i am thankful for a best friend like that .

The only definition of "soul mates" I've ever read was a little article explaining the idea that an individual is only half of a person and a soul mate is the other half. After reading that, I definitely don't believe in soul mates. If someone tried to tell me that I alone am not a complete human being, I'd be very offended. This is especially so as I don't want to get married; it just seems like more pressure from people who think we all have to do the same things and make the same life choices.

A soul mate is best described as someone who YOU find to be the person who best meets what you would want to fall deeply in love. One that has enough positives you are willing to overlook their so called flaws. And one you could see yourself never wanting to see anyone else in a romantic way again. Basically a fallacy unless both people in the equation share that same enlightenment. But never say never -.-

-sean-

soulmates is a ******** concept designed to give fools hope
if I had one, she probably died a hundred years ago

A soul mate is exactly what it sounds like. It is how you describe when you come into contact with a person who holds the soul of which your soul has been aquianted with before your birth, that is why you feel like you have met before when you havent ever seen this person. You probably dont have just one, maybe more and this also doesn't mean you are going to be perfect lovers if you get that far, a soul mate may sometimes just come into your life for a period of time to teach you a valuble lesson then vanish waiting to meet you in the next life, they dont know this of course. You may have acountered such companions in your lives and not realised it.

Surely the term itself is merely another way for one person to express love for another, nothing to do with actual souls (in which I do not believe). Love isn't a rational thing, so it's almost inevitable that it breeds irrational ideas such as soul mates. You don't even need to know someone to be able to love them; love at first sight is a reaction, both chemical and psychological, not destiny, and it usually goes unrequitted. People fall in and out of love all the time. Couples that stay together for life do so for a number of reasons: familiarity, fear of not being able to find someone else, tolerance, etc. Love is rarely the primary factor because once the initial romance passes people are forced to find other things to bind them together. I guess it helps if both parties share irrational beliefs, which is probably why marriages amongst very religious people are, statistically, more successful than others.

Surely the term itself is merely another way for one person to express love for another, nothing to do with actual souls (in which I do not believe). Love isn't a rational thing, so it's almost inevitable that it breeds irrational ideas such as soul mates. You don't even need to know someone to be able to love them; love at first sight is a reaction, both chemical and psychological, not destiny, and it usually goes unrequitted. People fall in and out of love all the time. Couples that stay together for life do so for a number of reasons: familiarity, fear of not being able to find someone else, tolerance, etc. Love is rarely the primary factor because once the initial romance passes people are forced to find other things to bind them together. I guess it helps if both parties share irrational beliefs, which is probably why marriages amongst very religious people are, statistically, more successful than others.

Spoken like a cynical jaded person lol. If you don't truly see the power and pull of love on you, your life is going to be a shallow empty existence man. There are a million philosophies and theories to every conceivable pertinent connection we hold with others, ourselves, and the world around us. But in my opinion, there is nothing stronger or more meaningful than love. And no more profound instrument of our emotions than our heart.

Btw, for once I will +1 to the nerd by default post. Couldn't have said it any better myself :)

-sean-

New Threads

Top Bottom