• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Son keeps putting new uncooked food in the trash.

kparent

Hi,
This is my first post.
I'm the father of a 19 year old on the spectrum. Lately he's been putting new uncooked food in the trash. Does anyone have any insight into why he would do this? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

They are all things he's previously eaten without any objection. It happened with his mom, aunt, and in his grandparents house. I haven't had a chance to ask him yet. Although he's verbal, he has a hard time expressing himself. I have a feeling Matthias might be right. Thank you for your responses!

Have you talked with your kid and asked what associates the uncooked food for him? I think the first step might be ask that

He's actually taking them out of the fridge and into the trash. We have taught him about the printed expiration date on goods. Thanks!

Maybe him associates the fact of the cold,snow, and the winter with the fridge as the refrigerator generates cold as a negative thing as people gives to winter elements such snow, rain, cold, cloudy weather as negative , might give to the fridge and things stored to fridge as a negative connotation, please try to talk to your kid and talk of deep way him is 19 years old so would probably understand if you talk to him .

Probably that is going on with your kid. But better it's talk to him about,I am only guessing in base of your answer.

He's actually taking them out of the fridge and into the trash. We have taught him about the printed expiration date on goods. Thanks!
What’s the expiration date on the food that has been thrown away? It’s possible that he thinks he’s helping by getting rid of food that may have a few days left to go, and he might not understand the date allowances. If it’s meat, he might be throwing it away earlier if it looks weird.

If he does it again, take it out the trash and then ask him why he’s throwing it away.

Does he verbally or physically abuse any other living beings ?if not I would be more concerned about other humans that do that ,can he do things that a neurotypical never could?

This story takes place in an unknown spanish location, about 40 years ago on Christmas...

In a certain house, every figurine of the sacred Portal of Belen had just vanished. From the Jesus baby to the last cow, more than 40 figurines just evaporated...

The mom of the family was shocked :eek:

She looked on the trash bin... Nothing... She looked on the drawers... Nothing... Behind the sofas.... Nothing ... Under the table....

Some hours later the kids ... Ermm I mean the usual suspects waked up and were having breakfast, time to ask them.:cool:

One of the suspects was a 0.5 years old lady who could climb and hide herself on any place of the house. The other one was a 3 years old super smart kid who had never broken a rule and always told the truth.

So the mother asked:

Mom: Do you know were are the Sacred Portal of Belen figurines?
Kid: Yeah! I know! Answered the kid.
Mom: So, were are them?
Kid: They are inside the cushions of the sofas mom.
Mom: Oh, I see...:mad::mad::mad:
Mom: And who took them without permission from the Sacred Portal of Belen and put them there?
Kid: I Did Mom! :) (the kid was so proud and happy)
Mom: And why, my beloved son, would you hide every figurine of the Sacred Portal of Belen inside the cushions? o_O:confused:
Kid: Well mom, you may not know it but temperatures in the desert can easily drop below zero Celsius degrees at night. And you all let the sacred Jesus baby naked there. So to save him from been cold I put him into the cushion. But he missed his mom and dad... So I put them too. Then I remembered that all the other people came to be with the jesus baby so it was a good action to bring them all together...
Mom:....:rolleyes::confused::);):rolleyes:o_O

So, I have no idea why your kid do that but in his mind for sure all makes perfect sense. So be patient, ask him and note down his answer because it will become a very fun story for the next generation. :)

Sometimes I get really sick of eating the same foods often and I want to try something different.
Does he frequently eat the same things? Do you think he could be trying to communicate that he wants to try a different meal?

Sometimes I get really sick of eating the same foods often and I want to try something different.
Does he frequently eat the same things? Do you think he could be trying to communicate that he wants to try a different meal?
That's possible, but his diet is pretty varied. I always ask him too.

I have no idea why he might throw out food. But may be the key to stopping the behavior is to give him a drawer in the fridge for snacks and food he can serve himself.

Even if you like the food you are given it might be frustrating to not be in control of what you eat. He might be throwing out food just to experience that feeling of control. Giving him a drawer that he controls might offer an outlet for being in control.

Good idea. Maybe he needs to feel he has some say in food choices. Teenagers feel like they have no choices.

New Threads

Top Bottom