• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some people

Yes, but do not hide and pretend ignorance. Oh, sorry, yes I do, when I am talking to a dr.

I was taken to hospital for a strange on going ache, that caused nausia and no tablets got rid of the ache, so whilst in hospital, found out it was gallbladder pain. Thanks to roaming and internet access, in the space of 10 minutes, I knew everything there was to know about the gallbladder. So, when the surgeon was trying to coax me into having it removed, he did a diagram to show me how the gallbladder works. I pretended I did not know anything, because I knew he would consider me in a negative light.

But, other than that, I do not keep quiet, because I was raised to believe I was stupid and so have fought against that sense of stupitity for years and I guess subconsciously want to show people my knowledge to prove I am not stupid.

Do other aspies in here, find they have a wealth of knowledge on a particular subject. A person asks you a question, you answer them with facts you know to be accurate and true. Yet they "argue" or you are made to feel "wrong" on the subject, even though the other person has no to little knowledge on the subject? Do you find yourself just "hiding" your knowledge, and acting "ignorant" or just saying "i dont know"? It feels like people dont actually want the knowledge or to learn. So why ask? It becomes very depressing over the years. Anyone else experience this?
I am not an Aspie but I would say I have experienced this a lot too. I think part of the problem is everyone wants to think they are right. Some just like the debate and some play the devil's advocate. IF you come up with what you know to be the truth, they have their own interpretation of their truth as they see it. And I think some people just don't want to hear true facts. I tend to only add what I think about a subject if the person wants to hear me, if they don't then fine, like you said they will eventually find out themselves. My son is an Aspie and he is very intelligent, although sometimes we don't see things the same way. We both have true facts on the subject but still I see it one way and he sees it another. We will never agree on that subject because we both have facts and think we each see it the right way.
Another thing I remember back when I first started into religion. I couldn't see it any other way than what I had learned. I had facts, cold hard facts and I was very sure what I said was the truth...however later in life I realized that there were many variations of truth. How you interpret truth is up to them and so I walked away being very careful as to what I said because some people will never see it that way. Was I wrong? Were they wrong? or were we both right to a degree?

New Threads

Top Bottom