• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some non-gamers are telling me gaming is a waste of time.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Yet, somehow binge-watching reality television shows like Married at First Sight is less of a waste of time than spending an afternoon on my Xbox.

I get it, most Americans have their vices these days. My vices are video gaming and anime. Better that than beer and marijuana.

At least with the video gaming, it engages the senses and the intellect a lot more than something like Married at First Sight. Yes, I sat through one episode of that show, and it really is as horrible as the title makes it sound.

Living could also be considered a waste of time and earth resources.

If you enjoy your activity and it doesnt negatively affect you, its perfectly ok.

What makes adictions a problem is how they mess with our lives.

And... You could also review games. :)

You should have seen the dads in the area I lived back in the 80s and 90s. If they caught you sitting on your butt playing a video game.. it wasn't pretty. It was pretty much the worst thing you could do. After a long day at work they came home and found their kids sitting on the couch, using electricity they paid for to play a stupid game while eating food they paid for...

I visited a kid once and his dad came home, suddenly we heard him coming down the basement stairs, we had been sitting there playing for two hours. I panicked and crawled out a window. He was so angry! :mad: I still remember him shouting things I can't mention here, I would get banned.

I don't play those games now, I couldn't even if I wanted to. I'm 40. It just seems wrong for me, not something I can do.

I am 43 and I still play Xbox and PlayStation religiously. I also do some PC gaming as well, but consoles on the big screen TV is where the gaming is at my house.

I never had the hand-eye coordination, nor understood all the buttons to play any video games.

My boys, now in their mid-20's,...both are successful engineers,...but still find time to have these huge gaming computers and monitors,...all the bells and whistles,...and can spend hours playing on-line group games.

I don't like video games very much & think that if I played them it would be a big waste of time--but I also recognize that they're fun, they have a lot of neat storytelling aspects, & they're a great potential way to socialize.

So game on. Any legitimate pleasure can always be enjoyed in moderation--Why quit gaming based on what other folks are coming up with.

At least gaming activates some part of the brain since it requires, at bare minimum, constant pressing of buttons and memorization. Binge-watching TV shows and Youtube is a passive activity.

We have something called E-Sports here now suddenly. Electronic sports. I watched a little of it on tv, it was some kind of competition. Several people sat infront of screens on a stage and there was a large audience. One thing I noticed was that those guys playing games had chairs that looked like seats from racing cars. All the equipment was very professional. And sometimes they jumped out of their seats and did some fist pumping in the air and paraded around.

As someone who have actually been involved in sports, outdoors, sweating, competing, running 'till I barfed and almost killing myself, it looked a little strange. Especially the racing seats, why do they have racing seats? I belong to a generation that just don't understand it I think. For me video games is pushing buttons. It's not very hard, physically hard. Sports used to be hard, you had to sweat and bleed.

The concentration aspect is. Reflex and dexterity of fingers. Along with being inventive on the fly. Endurance is also a big factor.

I think the key to this is in your thread title: some non-gamers are telling me gaming is a waste of time. They're non-gamers! So, 1) how would they know? And, 2) they don't happen to like it so they're calling it a waste of time. That's their problem. They sound judgemental.

I’m not a gamer. But I’m also not the kind of person who thinks others’ hobbies are a waste of time. As long as it’s not hurting anyone, who am I to judge? :)

Come on, endurance? I have done the Cooper test, I have skied for 2 straight hours as hard as I could many times, in competition, I ran from the bottom of a mountain, to the very top of it and down again, without stopping. You can't convince me that video games has something to do with endurance. :) They are sitting still in comfy chairs pushing a button. I went to an athletes school for three years, I know what endurance, reflex and dexerity is and it has very little to do with video games. I think it's a litte rude towards those who actually do sports, calling video games sport.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. The only times I ever thought video games tested my endurance was during my 24 hour game marathons for charity.

Ha, I saw half an episode of "Married at first sight" and even the most relaxing, brain-washed video-game is more intellectual that that. I mean, yeah, everybody has their own guilty pleasures (I watch "Wife Swap" lol), but nobody should talk bad about it. It's their own thing, yeah, someone watches these "thrash shows", somebody "shoots other in games". Games aren't worse than reality/or any shows. I don't want to brag about myself (really, I don't), but many people think I am intelligent and smart, going on conferences, writing scientific articles, etc. but I still watch "Wife Swap" and play Cyberpunk 2077. And you know what? It means nothing, it doesn't say about myself anything. I laugh at their primitive perception of spending a quality time in secret, face-to-face with them I smile politely and wish a nice day :blush:

You should have seen the dads in the area I lived back in the 80s and 90s. If they caught you sitting on your butt playing a video game.. it wasn't pretty. It was pretty much the worst thing you could do. After a long day at work they came home and found their kids sitting on the couch, using electricity they paid for to play a stupid game while eating food they paid for...

I visited a kid once and his dad came home, suddenly we heard him coming down the basement stairs, we had been sitting there playing for two hours, so the room smelled liked warm electronics and young boys. I panicked and crawled out a window. He was so angry! :mad: I still remember him shouting things I can't mention here, I would get banned. Their generation truly hated video games.

I don't play those games now, I couldn't even if I wanted to. I'm 40. It just seems wrong for me, not something I can do.

I can tell you about League of Legends, an esport I like to play. Firstly I use the controls to control a character, so Im not just pressing buttons as a football player is not just kicking a ball.

That controlled character must team play with other 4 comrades in a 5 vs 5 game. The game happens in a map where you have resources, objective points and all kind of strategy stuff. So it involves real time strategy, premade tactics great coordination and of course good pushing buttons skills.

The level of the game is very similar to chess, novice players have no chance vs medium players who have no chance vs good players who have no chances vs proffesionals.

So yes, they are sports. :)

Come on, endurance? I have done the Cooper test, I have skied for 2 straight hours as hard as I could many times, in competition, I ran from the bottom of a mountain, to the very top of it and down again, without stopping. You can't convince me that video games has something to do with endurance. :) They are sitting still in comfy chairs pushing a button. I went to an athletes school for three years, I know what endurance, reflex and dexerity is and it has very little to do with video games. I think it's a litte rude towards those who actually do sports, calling video games sport.

Oh, it can have something to do with endurance all right... And it DEFINITELY involves reflex and dexterity... I say that as someone who personally measures those two things as my single best traits. Sheer reaction/processing speed and coordination are what I'm known for. It's more than just those, though.

There's something I'd like to show here, if this actually freaking works. It's quite short, and I'm using it strictly to eliminate a misconception... even if you dont care about gaming, have a look, at least for the sake of what I want to say actually making sense.

Skip to 1:50 for the truly wild part:

To very briefly explain what is happening in that mess: the entire goal of this type of game is to not get hit by stuff. My character starts at the bottom and fires upwards. Enemies generally start at the top, and they fire that purple stuff. Just ONE hit from any of that purple stuff will end me. My character must be struck dead-center (that pulsing spot) to get hit. Which sounds like it should make it easy to dodge stuff, but this genre is often considered basically impossible even by most lifelong gamers. And this specific game is considered basically impossible even by most fans of this genre. This is, in fact, one of the single most difficult games ever made. Note that the video specifically shows level ONE. It just gets more absurd from there.

A lot of people cant even visually follow what's happening... let alone pull any of it off. But I've been doing these things for... too long. I'm capable of tracking & processing everything moving on the screen all at once... this is why I dont get hit even once during the video. In addition, my dexterity, control, and coordination are very, VERY high at this point. And my overall mental processing speed is beyond any of those. Most things... and I dont mean just in games... are almost in slow motion as far as I'm concerned. All of those concepts are not only being USED here, they're being IMPROVED in the process.

As for endurance, well... that's almost an entirely seperate topic in and of itself, too long for me to go into here.

I could actually keep listing benefits, and ways in which concepts such as dexterity, coordination, complex problem solving, memory, and all sorts of other aspects not only come into play here, but are actively enhanced by doing it. The stuff that @Atrapa Almas hints at is a whole other variety of this sort of thing going on... people who play "ESports" games have to do things on a similar level in order to play at the level of a pro. Source: long-time fighting game fan here. And I'm better at fighting games than I am at the thing in the video. Not only that though, but most truly high-end players are also actually pretty physically fit. Seriously, just try doing ANY of that stuff I just showed when you're in crappy physical OR mental shape. It aint happening.

Does that mean that it's the exact same as traditional "sports"? No. You may as well be trying to compare rock climbing to professional woodworking. However, both can and often do involve incredible feats of skill, and both can result in incredible personal improvements, results, and benefits. IF you let them. And both require frankly rather silly amounts of practice to truly get good at.

While I've personally always thought the term "ESports" was silly (because it sounds like a marketing word to my ears) I can absolutely 100% understand the view of those who think of it and treat it like real "sports". Because in a lot of ways... it can be. Provided, of course, that the player WANTS to take it that far. Some gamers are plenty happy to just relax with Animal Crossing, and that's totally fine too.

@Metalhead The other reason I wanted to point all of this out is because I dont want you to think that what you're doing is this 100% useless silly thing that has no value. It's just like any other big hobby out there: You get out of it what you put into it, and the end results can benefit you in many ways... but it's up to YOU to make that happen. However, also like all hobbies... you need to do it in moderation. As long as you're varying up your activities well enough, and doing things like eating and exercising properly, getting out and getting some sun, stuff like that... then you're fine. The problems begin when you start letting your hobby... be it this or something else... consume you.

As long as you arent letting that happen... then to heck with what anyone else may think of your choices in terms of how you spend your time. If someone else doesnt like it, well, that's THEIR problem, not yours.

Yet, somehow binge-watching reality television shows like Married at First Sight is less of a waste of time than spending an afternoon on my Xbox.

I get it, most Americans have their vices these days. My vices are video gaming and anime. Better that than beer and marijuana.

At least with the video gaming, it engages the senses and the intellect a lot more than something like Married at First Sight. Yes, I sat through one episode of that show, and it really is as horrible as the title makes it sound.

Of course non-gamers think gaming is a waste of time. Otherwise they would be gamers.

I think the key to this is in your thread title: some non-gamers are telling me gaming is a waste of time. They're non-gamers! So, 1) how would they know? And, 2) they don't happen to like it so they're calling it a waste of time. That's their problem. They sound judgemental.

Sorry, I posted a similar comment before I read yours.

I read romance novels. A lot of people would call that a waste of time, but I have fun doing it. If it brings you some enjoyment it isn't a waste of time. Listening to people tell you something you enjoy doing is a waste of time is a waste of time.

Moreover recent studies have shown that people being treated for TBIs from stroke, accidents, etc. actually have a much better outcome with the inclusion of interactive RPG and/or virtual reality games. Cognitive function and motor control is almost 30% better than with just traditional therapies alone.

I don't play a lot of video games, but I still pull out my Skylanders on a regular basis.

I don't get it. What is a "waste of time"? What are we all striving for? Is there a prize? We live however long we live and then we die.

New Threads

Top Bottom