• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Stories and Autism

Do you think social stories are an effective tool?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Depends on the person

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Punchr0ck3r17

Hello All!
Again, it's been a little while... This time because I started a new job. I'm super excited about my new position, but the schedule change means adjusting how I've been running my day-to-day life during the work week. Anywho… Has anyone else ever looked into social stories? As someone with high-functioning Autism, I've never really used them myself, but I've heard they can be helpful for people with Autism or even for young children learning how to function and behave in society. So... Getting to the point... I became curious, as I do regarding these things, and did a little research into the effectiveness of social stories. Turns out, it's a mixed bag and depends heavily on the person using them as to their effectiveness. I did a little writing about social stories - what they are and how they can be used - in my personal blog if you're interested..... Check it out if you want! I am curious though... Anyone have personal experience with social stories? What's your opinion on them? Do they work or is it heavily dependent on the person? Let me know your thoughts!! :)

It depends on the person. Some can help to roleplay situations or to understand social situations better, to understand how people might be feeling in those situations and how to act on them. Problem is, real life isn't like that, it isn't so regimented and predictable, and that is where many have difficulties.

When I was a teenager in the UK, there was a magazine aimed at teenage girls called Jackie. It wasn't specifically for autistic teenagers and I didn't even know I was autistic, but I did know that I found many social situations difficult, confusing or daunting, and I for a while I bought this magazine in a deliberate effort to understand and cope with social situations better. This magazine had comic strips with various social scenarios and outcomes, stories and a page where people could write about their problems and get advice.

I use them a lot through our primary schoo. They were very helpful when I has something new to do such as going school swimming or on a trip. They were great and really helped me understand things. They were a massive help when I transitioned to secoundry school.

I wasn’t aware of these. I didn’t need them growing up, but I can imagine they can be useful.

New Threads

Top Bottom