• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Networks (Your likes and/or dislikes?)

Galaxy Freeze

Personally, I do not care for Facebook (the social network I use) because it changes its layout too constantly and sometimes there are glitches (on my computer).
I also hate all those good ol' game requests I get sent to me and what not.

I am still on it though, because it's a way to talk to friends faster and it's a place I can post my drawings/animations.
I think it is annoying at times, but also very useful. I hate how I am constantly checking it though! Everytime... "0 notifications... 0 notifications... OH! A notification! ...It's spam."

What do you guys think about social networks, the ones you use or not use? Just in general.

Which one is your favorite, and why?

Only curious here.

I used to be on a lot of social networks years ago... as in 10 or so (when I just had internet for a few years). Mostly dutch social networks and spent some time there. Back then, pretty much like I still am now, I'd just fill in a profile of sorts, perhaps do some graphic layout and if someone liked what they saw, they'd sent me a message or a friendrequest. I rarely do friendrequests myself because I feel that I should have to offer something and I'm not really sure what asset I might be to some in their social group. Unless it's people I already know from somewhere (some people from this board come to mind).

Over time there were some international social networks around like Myspace, and later on now Facebook. Was on both, now I'm still on facebook. Never was on LinkedIn, though I had some requests from that in the past. Oh... and then there's a few of subculture social networks. Vampirefreaks comes to mind, I'm still on it somewhere but I'm not really active. Last time I really was active was about 2 years ago, when I did my last graphic profile overhaul. And recently I got on DeviantArt, which is a fine network I think if you're into arts, either creating it or just browsing pretty pictures and the like.

As for Facebook and it's pro's and con's... or any social network. I wouldn't now... it's not as if I really, really, really care what all my friends are up to. Yes, I do respond to some things, but in general I do like the funny anekdotal one-liners people come up with over the "I just bought a new couch but it doesn't match the rest of my furniture"... I don't know why I should care for such trivialities. I'm there for fun, not for some heavy ******** lifestories. So that might be the biggest con I have in general with a lot of social networks, some people just pollute my newsfeed with their bad news (or sheer stupidity). At some point those people will be either blocked from my newsfeed or unfriended. The game requests itself, I don't care for. I don't play any and I rarely get any requests either. I used to get a few when it was new and all. Not having a lot of friends there helps, because if I were to add say... 5 to 10 people a day, chances are people will eventually send me an invite. Ever since I'm on FB (about 2 years or so now) I have just under 70 contacts and half of them sent me a gamerequest (in the span of those 2 years)... that's in general what I think is manageable.

Any pro's on social networks? Sharing fun stuff with people so you can both have a laugh, that to me is the best thing about facebook. Well, and to some extent, having some bands/artists in the newsfeed keeps you updated on their recent happenings as well. I rather do it over facebook, than say... visit each and every one of the sites daily/weekly.

Oh.. the layout thing.. I'm happy I'm not having Timeline pushed down my throat yet. If that happens (probably soon) I'll look into how I can make changes suitable for my needs (privacy and all) and if that doesn't work out and I can't get used to it, I'm out.

A few years ago I used to use myspace alot (haven't used it in years), tried facebook didn't like it but kept going with it just to keep in touch with my supposed friend. When she screwed me over I sort of stopped using it, no point, none of the people on my friend list are actually my friends just people who have sent me a request from various forums, school 'friends' (you know people who weren't your friend at school but suddenly want to chat to you or who you were kind of friends with but lost touch with for a reason) etc.

I don't use facebook at all now but haven't deleted it as it's useful for uploading pics for my family to see. I tried twitter a couple of times but it just seems so pointless, it's basically facebook status and I used to struggle thinking of things to post for that, I don't really do small talk and my life is very repetative so nothing interesting to post about.

I also tried tumblr, didn't like it same problem with not having anything to post, I have a google+ account that's never been used.

Yeah, I can relate to the "too much information I don't care about" sort of thing. I ended up taking a few "friends" off my list because, well for one I didn't know them that well, but another reason is that they'd post way too many stupid status updates that made no sense, then I miss out on my closer friends and if there is actually good news with them.

I just switched to the timeline after about a month of annoyances popping up about it, it's not too bad, but I wish they'd just keep things the way they are for a couple months at least...

I used to have a Myspace also, but the only friends I had on there migrated to Facebook I guess... Then there was kind of no point anymore, I was all alone...

Yeah, I know it's annoying having nothing to post, my life is repetitive as well. Nothing much new goes on. My friend has a Tumblr, she showed me her pages and everything and I had no clue what she was doing or what the point of it was.
She told me I should get a Tumblr account, but I was all, "Uh...What would I post? Who would follow me?" Not my thing, I guess I'll always have a soft spot for Facebook, it is quite useful for some things.

I turned off my Facebook. You can deactivate your account but reactive if you change your mind. I do Twitter, lots of Aspie's on there. A few Forums like this one.

Im on so many, I've proper lost count.

Facebook, Myspace, Live Journal, Blogger, Suicide Girls, Inked Nation (RIP), Check Out My Ink, Pinterest, Xanga, Wordpress, Tumblr, Flickr, 500px, Viewbug and a few others.

Some I don't use at all, some I go on every so ofte, some I check several times a day... Some I have 2 accounts for other things (like promoting my photography. FB, Pinterest and Suicide Girls I am on every day and the photoraphy ones (Flickr, 500px & Viewbug) too

I am on facebook, its how I keep in contact with some of my family, and sometimes someone will post something clever that makes me laugh or smile, I think that is reason or enough. George Taekei posts some really funny stuff. I do hate that they change the layout so often. I do play facebook games, but I only play one at a time and block the rest. But I made an alternate account for the games, cause I hated "spamming" my friends, as many of these games require you to have many "neighbors" in the game, so I just go to the fan page for the game and request friends who are also looking for neighbors, but that is all on my alternate account. Although I would say the many requests that I get for various birthday apps is rather annoying. Facebook already tells you when its someone else's birthday, but then I feel like I am a bad person if someone is like can you add you to my birthday app so i can know when its your birthday, same thing with all these family tree apps.

I have to be on FB because that's where my game is, and it has been my obsession for a couple years now

I didn't feel like I needed it when I was in school, because I already got enough social interaction. Now I don't have any friends so I can't add anyone...

New Threads

Top Bottom