• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Networking... A Help or a Hinder?

Thinking about... I never actually "use" facebook... I just observe/watch/look at other people's stuff. I feel like i'll be judged instantly if I update my status to anything. Hate it.

So, so, so much easier for me.
I can talk to people with AS for hours and actually be interested.
NTs, it's like, 10 seconds in and I'm bored. Generally. There are a few exceptions though.
I tend to sit on my own at lunch and stuff 'cause I just find other people so boring to talk to. I prefer listening to my internal dialect any day.
EMZ=]

So, so, so much easier for me.
I can talk to people with AS for hours and actually be interested.
NTs, it's like, 10 seconds in and I'm bored. Generally. There are a few exceptions though.
I tend to sit on my own at lunch and stuff 'cause I just find other people so boring to talk to. I prefer listening to my internal dialect any day.
EMZ=]

I'm like that aswell... but mine would mainly be about my interest... I can easily talk to anyone and get on with anyone... but I just instantly feel more comfortable talking to an aspie, but an NT, it would take me a while to get used to before I start talking with tons of words. :lol:
Yet, I do tend to style it out and not sit on my own... but when i'am on my own, thats me gone to the shops to eat. :D

I've spoken to another Aspie in real life, it was more difficult that talking to other people. They're not as adapted(?)as I am and it just feels really awkward.

I actually feel like I can relate to people who sit on their own at coffee shops or w.e. IDK why but I feel an immense impulse to go over and talk to them, but I don't because that's counter-productive. I only want to know them because I like to think they hate people.
Yeah. I'm really ****ed up sometimes. LOL.
And I go to a social skills group every week. One guy who has AS knows a lot about psychology, but I'm like Willow and it's hard to talk to him when he's not at the same level as me. I know another guy there who's probably a bit better and on the spectrum and we get on very well(the other guy in the social skills group who I dated wouldn't let me talk to him 'cause we got on so well and he was paranoid. He was fine when I talked to the guy he hated though). I also, as in brackets, dated a guy with AS and it was awkward because he'd say things which you just don't say... He still does tbh but meh. Then there was another guy who I dated who had AS, and I could relate to him with everything. But we hate each other now :(.
EMZ=]

I've spoken to another Aspie in real life, it was more difficult that talking to other people. They're not as adapted(?)as I am and it just feels really awkward.
I was in a school full of them, I was in a special needs school :)
Although I would always be the target though :cry: But I have made friends with them and I feel so comfortable, I could literally talk about anything to them :D

Well, I feel excluded even around people like me - with AS and all the other disabilities. I went to this group but even there I felt isolated and just stood by myself, stimming and playing with my hands.

i do better on the computer than off

there is less sensory things to get me over loaded and i can relax and know i can think about what i want before they even know i write

in person there is always demand to tell in 2 seconds what answer they want and to get it right or have so many problems it is never possible to explain enough to get things right

i do better in these forums since i can read posts and just simply quote and agree to things other people say that is better than i can think how to say the same thing

i do better on the computer than off

there is less sensory things to get me over loaded and i can relax and know i can think about what i want before they even know i write

in person there is always demand to tell in 2 seconds what answer they want and to get it right or have so many problems it is never possible to explain enough to get things right

i do better in these forums since i can read posts and just simply quote and agree to things other people say that is better than i can think how to say the same thing
Yes, im definitely like that.... I can't handle a simple conversation sometimes which is a real shame, I can do it sometimes though which I seem to do it better with people who i'm comfortable with.

When i'm on the internet, I tend to let my mind just flow and go on and on :) I sometimes tend to be classed as the talkative. :lol:

Hmm... people aren't talking to me on Facebook for some reason. Maybe I should talk to them? I don't know what to say though. I updated my status and no-one commented.   :wtf:

Hmm... people aren't talking to me on Facebook for some reason. Maybe I should talk to them? I don't know what to say though. I updated my status and no-one commented. :wtf:

Don't worry, Calvert. People don't comment on every status...just certain ones. It's not because you're not liked or because they find it offensive or anything.

I know that but I rarely get someone comment on my page or status. I see the usual suspects comment on each others stuff all the time so I feel a bit left out. One thing I hate though is those friggin' games like farmville clogging up the place.   :D

Lol there are some really shocking games on fb... none of which I've tried. But y'know.. farmville/texas poker/mafia wars etc. :(

People rarely comment on my status, but I rarely update it so.. Meh. :p

I get that occasionally but they are picky with what I put on the status...

I apparently closed down my facebook temporarily, but when I came back and put i return, the amount of response I got out of it :D

But facebook in my view should of been lamebook :thumbsdown:

My lil personal Ad: Ask the NHS for the Quit Starters pack to quit facebook... :lol:

Haha one day... :p

Oh well, it'll only be a couple more years until everyone migrates to the next giant social site anyway. :)

Haha one day... :p

Oh well, it'll only be a couple more years until everyone migrates to the next giant social site anyway. :)
I think thats already been done... makes me wonder, would this site would ever become the new facebook? :p

Maybe a cross between Facebook and MySpace ? Like..."MyFace" (quoted from Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear)

I think social networking sites are a waste of time. And not just for Aspies.

Why do you think that they're a waste of time ? And yes I don't think any of us think that social networking sites are just for Aspies. But they can be of great use to an Aspie. If you want me to explain further about why I think that, then just ask :)

New Threads

Top Bottom