• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should the speed limit be higher?

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I am jealous Germany is the only country in the world has no speed limit on their highways. Well, at least for most of the highways. For people don't live in Germany, what is the highest posted speed limit? If you want the speed limit higher, what would it be?

For Canada it varies in each province. In Nova Scotia, the highest posted speed limit is 110KM/hr. I wished it was 160KM/hr.

Over here we have a few roads that allow 130km/h used to be 120 for some but 100 is more common. I don't really know how I feel about it.. I mean, it's nice to drive fast, but at those speeds accidents happen quite easily as well.

In Manitoba the fastest limit is 100 kph. I wouldn't want it much faster because our roads are terrible and that really can't be prevented due to the 80C difference between the coldest and hottest days.

Nova Scotia actually has federally funded roads and that makes a lot of difference. :rolleyes:

It's presently 75 Mph here, although the state legislature is entertaining a bill to increase it to 85 Mph.

Perhaps not the best idea considering the condition of our roads isn't as good as in other states. But car enthusiasts abound here....

In Manitoba the fastest limit is 100 kph. I wouldn't want it much faster because our roads are terrible and that really can't be prevented due to the 80C difference between the coldest and hottest days.

Nova Scotia actually has federally funded roads and that makes a lot of difference. :rolleyes:
I have drove of many ****** roads here. This one highway I drive to Kejimkujik National Park I call the roller coaster for good reason :)

It's presently 75 Mph here, although the state legislature is entertaining a bill to increase it to 85 Mph.

Perhaps not the best idea considering the condition of our roads isn't as good as in other states. But car enthusiasts abound here....
I know many people here drives 85 Mph even though they are not suppose to. Then again, I'm one of those guilty people.

My home road could be 55mph without an issue, everybody drives 60mph down it anyway. But there is this one narrow road that curves and winds down a very steep hill, sharp drop on the nonhill side, the pavement is full of cracks, and they say you can drive 45mph on that thing. Heck no! 35mph, and that's if I'm feeling gutsy!

I understand I may be a special snowflake by saying this, but I really love places with 20mph speed limits when I'm driving.

As for other people, especially men, Idk... I've a weak spot for the Fast & Furious series, and whilst it may be a dangerous guilty pleasure, there's an extra kick/perk out of fast cars/people going 55mph.

But anything over 70mph and I sort of feel really uncomfortable.

Unless it's a game I'm playing on the couch--then I'm going to destroy the roads with speed. YES.

Yes, I think we should definitely have a higher max speed limit.

2.998 x 10^8 metres per second is just way too slow to achieve anything in a reasonable time frame.

Hell, even Bert Onestone agreed ! :D

Unless it's a game I'm playing on the couch--then I'm going to destroy the roads with speed. YES.
Bleeeeh, racing games! They should just make bulldozers for gamers like me, that way I can take out all those lightpoles a bit easier.

Bleeeeh, racing games! They should just make bulldozers for gamers like me, that way I can take out all those lightpoles a bit easier.
I like the monster truck ones, because I'm unstoppable then.

But oh, yes, I like your idea better. :p

I have drove of many ****** roads here. This one highway I drive to Kejimkujik National Park I call the roller coaster for good reason :)

OK, Nova Scotia has some federally funded roads. It's not like New Brunswick or anything.

Does that road have a 100 kph limit? Here, we'll cut it down to 90 if necessary.

Depends what state I'm in. The one I *live* in is 65mph on the interstate and some highways. As far as I know, that's as high as it gets (highest I've encountered). The next state over is 75mph on the interstate. Another nearby is 85, if I remember right. I don't go there very often.

My experience is that changing the speed limit doesn't do any good to prevent speeding, so I don't really care if it's raised or not. There's a highway near here that used to be 50mph. It was like that for years. People always drove 60mph on it. So they raised the speed limit to 60mph. Guess how fast people drive on it now? 70mph. Yup, that did a ton of good.

I'm pretty content driving 65mph. It's fast enough to get me where I need to be, but not so fast that I feel out of control. I really only complain about super low speed limits. I *hate* 15mph. Anything lower than that is even worse. I've had speedometers that the lowest number on the gauge was 15, so I had no idea whether I was "speeding" in 10mph zones. There are a few places where I feel like the lower speed limits are necessary. My college was in the country, about 10 minutes from town. The speed limit was 35mph, but everyone ignored it, going upwards of 80mph on it. The number of accidents on that stretch was *insane*. I mean, you take the highway for all but the last mile or so, and yet there were tons of accidents there, especially when the weather wasn't perfect. It was narrow, hilly, and poorly maintained. If it was snowing, 35mph was pushing it in a couple spots, if you wanted to stay on the road. My old van handled it pretty well because it was well grounded. A lot of the cars I rode in/drove bounced all over the place because they were light weight.

I like the monster truck ones, because I'm unstoppable then.

But oh, yes, I like your idea better. :p
I can flip a monster truck like it's nobody's business. You'd think those big ol' wheels would keep the cab above the pavement a bit easier. :oops:

In the UK, dual carriageways and motorways are 50 - 70mph, urban roads 30 - 40mph. I personally pootle along at 50 - 60mph tops, as I'm in no rush and always allow half again the amount of time I know it'll take me to get to my destination.
Also, there're so many impatient lunatics speeding along, cutting in and out, that if I do have a crash, the slower the speed, the better.
I really think that, no matter what speed limits are in place, people will go as fast as they like anyway.. what makes me laugh is catching up with them at traffic lights & queues, when they're driving like crazy and wasting fuel like it's cheap! :p How many seconds do they save at the other end? Enough to actually do anything with? :confused:

There's a little 2-lane road going to my house where the speed limit is 35 and it drives me insane. The road is traveled very sporadicly and most people (including me) go like 60 on it everyday. There's a police station nearby so I'm sure the cops are just using it as a trap to get the city more revenue. Smh.

In the UK, dual carriageways and motorways are 50 - 70mph, urban roads 30 - 40mph. I personally pootle along at 50 - 60mph tops, as I'm in no rush and always allow half again the amount of time I know it'll take me to get to my destination.
Also, there're so many impatient lunatics speeding along, cutting in and out, that if I do have a crash, the slower the speed, the better.
I really think that, no matter what speed limits are in place, people will go as fast as they like anyway.. what makes me laugh is catching up with them at traffic lights & queues, when they're driving like crazy and wasting fuel like it's cheap! :p How many seconds do they save at the other end? Enough to actually do anything with? :confused:
Same gripe I have driving in towns. Why waste the gas when all you're going to accomplish is maybe one car length ahead of me? Out on the interstate, yeah, I can see a little bit of flying ahead 15+, especially on a road trip where you have hundreds of miles to cover.

Out on the interstate, yeah, I can see a little bit of flying ahead 15+, especially on a road trip where you have hundreds of miles to cover.

I'll admit to driving at 85mph on motorways, mainly during the night when they're not busy, when travelling across the country. But I'd not abandon speed limits altogether, as people in general seem to be too stupid to drive sensibly.. it's like they play GTA V, or watch Top Gear and transfer the adrenaline straight to the roads!
I'm interested in the accident statistics on the German Autobahns though..
Do speed limits reduce the number of road deaths? | News | The Guardian
Make of this article what you will..

Whilst speed certainly kills, the major factor on UK roads is inexperience and low skill levels. I work recovering vehicles and the majority of my job puts me on the emergency lane of the motorways. The number of times I have had a near miss is ridiculous, even though I have a 12 tonne bright yellow truck covered in flashing lights, someone will always want to run into it because they 'didn't see it'.

This year the speed is being increased for heavy goods vehicles on 'A' roads from 40 to 50mph, at the same time as they have lowered the driving age for those vehicles from 21 to 18. So we are about to have very inexperienced drivers in 44 tonne trucks on 'A' roads at 50mph. I think it's time to look for another job :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom