• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I get the Sims 4? (For laptop)

Misty Avich

I prefer to be referred to as ADHD
V.I.P Member
I have the Sims 2 and all its expansion packs, and I enjoy playing families with toddlers in. But after watching some videos on YouTube of the Sims 4 it seems that toddlers can do a lot more than they can in the Sims 2, and family life is more interesting.

So I was just wondering, has anyone here played the Sims 4, and what is it like compared to the first 3 Sims games? I understand I might have to buy an expansion pack for Sim families but that's OK. I don't think it will cost much.

I have played all of the Sims games, it's been some years since I played Sims 4, but I remember it as it was an improvement that made me not wanting to go back..

I've played 4 a good bit.

It has some good points, it has some bad points. But I do tend to think that, gameplay-wise, it is an improvement.

Granted, the Sims can have odd behavior glitches at points. Some of which I dont remember being in older games. For instance, since you mentioned toddlers, I remember the last time I was playing it, the family consisted of 2 parents and their toddler child. But there was a specific wonky AI thing that kept happening. In particular the parents would get all weird once the toddler was put in a high chair (you know, for meal time, one of those chairs). They would pick her up and put her in it just fine, but then would just... not feed her and they'd get all glitchy when given direct commands to do so. It's that sort of glitch where you tell them to do something, they'll walk over to where the action should happen, and then they do that really awkward "stop and stare" thing that they do before randomly wandering off. You've probably seen them do this before in the earlier games, it's a common glitch type. But it was really consistent for this particular action for who knows what reason. But they would take her back out of the chair when given that command no problem (so the solution was not using the chair when feeding her, which just bothers me). (I think that's been patched though)

I tell ya, it probably sounded a bit odd for family in other parts of my house to randomly hear me yell "JUST FEED THE TODDLER, YOU COMPLETE LUMP!!!" after getting a tad frustrated with this. Yes, I get a bit loud when gaming at times. I'm not proud of it. But hey, at least I do admit to it.

But if you can put up with Sim AI occasionally getting loopy, you'll probably like it (and the overall gameplay experience, and performance, is WAY smoother). And yes, they do have way more options for toddlers/kids in this game compared to the old ones. Like, WAY more. Toddlers/kids have a ton of actions & activities they can take, and drastically improved AI for themselves, and more interactions with older Sims, and there are a lot of different objects and furniture and stuff for them. Though, if you want extra focus on toddlers, you might want to browse through some of the expansions and stuff packs. The one big problem I and many others had with Sims 4 is that the base game by itself is a bit barren in terms of *amount* of content (though this surprised nobody at all). So yeah, have a look around at them, so you can pick ones that will enhance the gameplay elements you find most interesting (or that add mechanics you might like). The good thing is that there is a LOT to pick from at this point, both full expansions and also the smaller "stuff packs".

It's certainly an improvement over 2, at least in my eyes.

The comparison to 3 is different though. The #1 thing that bothered me (and apparently most fans) about 4, aside from the low starting content part, is that 4 ditches the open-world neighborhood system that 3 uses. In 3, the entire neighborhood is loaded in as one single giant area, and your sims can freely roam around anywhere in it, even in spaces where there isnt really all that much there. But 4 uses a very restrictive closed lot system, similar to how the very first game did. So there isnt anything between lots except loading screens, and individual neighborhoods dont have many lots for some reason. But, you can freely transport from one lot to another easily, so your sims can go to the park or whatever and there will be lots of things to do there (and you can edit those lots if you want). Still, that part is quite the bummer. I have no idea what they were thinking in making that change, NOBODY liked that change.

Well, it's possible they made that change due to the fact that 3 tended to eat your PCs memory. LOTS to load in at once. I imagine though that modern PCs would have far less trouble running it than PCs at the time of its release did.

But in terms of actual actions and things your sims can do? 4 beats 3 out. Particularly in terms of interactions with other sims. 4 specializes in that quite a bit, 3 wasnt nearly as good at that part (and the first two games cant compare to 3 or 4 at all).

Dont get me wrong, the first two games are still good, but yeah, 4 is going to be a huge improvement, though 3 can also be an option depending on what you're after. But since you're after an enhanced family aspect, 4 is probably the way to go, definitely. Just... yeah, expansions.

If you want to know about the expansions, there's a channel on Youtube called LGR who reviews like, all of them. A lot of detail, so you can know whether a given expansion is actually what you want before buying.

Does that help? Or did I not quite answer what you were looking for?

Going from the Sims 2 to considering the Sims 4 requires most of all whether or not your existing laptop is capable of running the latest version. So you may have to do some investigating on the capability of your laptop. The last version I was running on my ten year old desktop was the Sims 3 on Windows 10. But when I upgraded the system I never bothered to put it back on to see how it ran. Truth is, I used use the cheats to simply focus on building structures and could care less about the Sims themselves. I know...weird. LOL.

Glad to hear they got rid of "Origin". I always turned it off once I got into Sims 3. Always assumed it was collecting data as long as it remained on. I still have the Sims 1 from Maxis on my Windows XP platform, but once you play later versions it seems pretty lame in comparison.

Minimum
  • Operating system: 64-bit required. Windows 10
  • Processor (CPU): 3.3 GHz Intel Core i3-3220 (2 cores, 4 threads), AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz (4 cores) or better
  • Memory (RAM): At least 4 GB RAM
  • Hard drive (free space): At least 25 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games.
  • Disc drive: DVD-ROM drive required for installation from disc only, for physical copies of the game.
  • Graphics card (video): 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0
  • Supported Graphics cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
  • DirectX version: DirectX 11 Compatible
  • Input: Keyboard and mouse
  • Internet connection online requirements: Required for game activation and optional for game updates
Recommended
  • Operating system: 64-bit Windows 10
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 (4 cores) or faster, AMD Ryzen 5 or better
  • Memory (RAM): 8 GB RAM
  • Hard drive (free space): At least 50 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
  • DVD drive: DVD-ROM drive required for installation from disc only
  • Graphics card (video): 1 GB of Video RAM, NVIDIA GTX 650, AMD Radeon HD 7750, or better
  • Direct X version: DirectX 11 Compatible
  • Input: Keyboard and mouse
  • Internet connection: Required for game activation and optional for game updates
Some of those homes I did enjoy building:

Sims House 1.jpg

Sims House 2.jpg

Sims House 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, all were helpful.

I have a fairly new Windows 11 laptop, which ran the Sims 2 with no issues at all (but Windows 10 couldn't run it for some reason). I think a lot of people complained of Windows 10 being unable to load our old favourite games, so maybe the computer people thought they'd make Windows 11 more friendly to older games. Surely Windows 11 is compatible with newer games though too? (Was there a Windows 9??)

I'm not very good with technology but I'll have a search around on Google to find some answers regarding the compatibility.

(If you read my thread I wrote two days ago when I was in a state about my cousin being pregnant) I thought it might help me come to terms with it if I got the Sims 4 and made me and my husband on it with a baby and toddler. Plus there are more toys and other baby accessories, and I like the toys. In the Sims 2 there seems to be limited toys with very repetitive interactions with the toys, and there are 3 or 4 different toyboxes with all the same toys. So not much variation or interactions with toddlers there. I did use custom content but keep forgetting how to put them on to the game. I sometimes do it, then I forget how I done it. I do look on Google but then it says I have to download apps and things to be able to download custom content, even though I've managed to download custom content before without needing to download any apps, on the same Windows 11 laptop. I don't always trust downloading different apps, as once I did it and I ended up with a virus.

@Misty Avich , great idea, using Sims to solve personal stuff. Like the doctor says take two pills, call me in the morning. In your case, he will say upgrade your Sims platform, call me in the morning. :)

@Misty Avich , great idea, using Sims to solve personal stuff. Like the doctor says take two pills, call me in the morning. In your case, he will say upgrade your Sims platform, call me in the morning. :)
Yeah, as a problem-solver I do normally find a way to cope with these things, without involving any alcohol or street drugs or cigarettes. I don't even self-harm.

I have the Sims 4! All I got to do now is buy the toddler expansion pack, then I can have my own little virtual family! I've already created my first family; a mother, a father, and twin toddlers that are brother and sister. I'm so excited and can't wait to finish work tonight so I can start the weekend playing on my new game lol.

I wish all Sims games had the same format and layout as the Sims 2, because that was so much easier, as it had everything there and you didn't have to involve the keyboard much. On the Sims 4 there doesn't seem to be an option to have mouse-only play. The reason this is annoying is because I like to play the Sims games while eating my dinner, where I have a plastic tray upside down on my laptop keyboard with the plate on top (I have the tray upside down so that it isn't pressing on my keyboard) and it's annoying when I have to keep moving the tray with a plate of dinner on to access the keyboard.

Last edited:
The Sims 4 is pretty unpopular among longtime The Sims players. I suppose I tolerate it nowadays because it's the game I learned to actually bring my own Custom Content in. I have a lot of fun with that, if I can find it online or make it myself I can put it in the game! Lol

Also, modding has gotten so much better than back in The Sims 2 days. For me, I'm enthralled because a very talented modder actually made a fully-functioning playable oboe and I'm so happy! (I'm an oboist myself).

Everything I said above is subjective to my own experience. The Sims 4 base game is free, but I don't know if I'd recommend you go down this rabbithole. You'll end up wanting this Expansion Pack and that Expansion Pack and there are so many, it's ridiculously expensive.

The Sims 4 is pretty unpopular among longtime The Sims players. I suppose I tolerate it nowadays because it's the game I learned to actually bring my own Custom Content in. I have a lot of fun with that, if I can find it online or make it myself I can put it in the game! Lol

Also, modding has gotten so much better than back in The Sims 2 days. For me, I'm enthralled because a very talented modder actually made a fully-functioning playable oboe and I'm so happy! (I'm an oboist myself).

Everything I said above is subjective to my own experience. The Sims 4 base game is free, but I don't know if I'd recommend you go down this rabbithole. You'll end up wanting this Expansion Pack and that Expansion Pack and there are so many, it's ridiculously expensive.
Being so I never played the Sims 4 before, I don't know any better than just the base game and the one expansion pack (the toddler stuff one). If I was to play the Sims 2 without the expansion packs then I couldn't do it, because I got so used to playing with all the expansion packs. It's a bit like how crappy the Sims 1 is compared to the rest, but at the time everyone thought it was great, because they didn't know any different. I've never played the Sims 1, I went straight to Sims 2, and I could not play Sims 1 ever, as it really looks so crap that it's just not worth it lol.

But I know what you mean. I wish the expansion packs weren't that expensive. Luckily the toddler stuff pack was only £8, but a lot of the others are like £35, which is way too much I think.

Being so I never played the Sims 4 before, I don't know any better than just the base game and the one expansion pack (the toddler stuff one). If I was to play the Sims 2 without the expansion packs then I couldn't do it, because I got so used to playing with all the expansion packs. It's a bit like how crappy the Sims 1 is compared to the rest, but at the time everyone thought it was great, because they didn't know any different. I've never played the Sims 1, I went straight to Sims 2, and I could not play Sims 1 ever, as it really looks so crap that it's just not worth it lol.

But I know what you mean. I wish the expansion packs weren't that expensive. Luckily the toddler stuff pack was only £8, but a lot of the others are like £35, which is way too much I think.

Well Stuff Packs have a lot less content than Expansion Packs. However, it must be noted that between the two higher tiers Game Packs and Expansion Packs the amount of content is variable. Like the Horse Ranch EP is more like a GP than an EP. =/ (but I love horses, so I couldn't not get it. Darn it xD).

My top favorite EP is Seasons. I also have to have Cats and Dogs because I love dogs and also the world is based off of coastal New England.

I just wanted the toddler EP because I really wanted to build a play room with all the cool toys that you can't get in the Sims 2.

This all reminds me of "Sim City". Where you hone your executive functioning skills to manage a city, being able to balance the public's wants and needs with revenue gathering to pay for it. A great exercise in demonstrating just how difficult public administration can actually be.

I've got the original game, as well as Sim City 3000 Unlimited, though I only have the original still on my legacy computer with Windows XP. Admittedly though, I would often use the cheats just to build a city rather than manage it. Kind of like building a model railroad, where its a balance of functionality and aesthetics.

Still debating whether or not to try to make Sim City 3000 work in Linux using Wine 9.0.

Though in thinking about it, I do wonder just how well the programming of the Sims is relative to human wants, needs and expectations. Interesting stuff...

I’ve never played a sims game before, I have sims 4 on Xbox available to download. Might give it a go.

New Threads

Top Bottom