• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Share some skills, talents, knowledge or hobbies that you have acquired over the years?

I’m a self taught drag queen. I figured out how to do a lot of the work it takes to get into drag including putting on makeup. I am also pretty good at styling doll hair. Trying to incorporate it into wigs for drag but it is harder because I don’t have a mannequin head to put the wig on as I style it.

I'm actually a very good cross-country and downhill skier. Most of the world don't care about skiing but it's a huge deal here. It's bigger than religion. Literally. It's the Norwegian version of American baseball or football. Actually, if you combine baseball, football, NASCAR and 4th of july, it's almost as big a deal as skiing is here. :)

I also make things with wood.

I love downhill skiing. Cross country is soooo hard.

I'm not particularly good at pretty much everything thing. I'm the best at being bad at just about everything.

I'm not particularly good at pretty much everything thing. I'm the best at being bad at just about everything.
Now that is an understatement.. Some of your opinions, insights and perspectives are far more clairvoyant than you give credit to, as well baring the writing ability far superseding majority that could attempt to compare against, your editorial, grammatical as well as typographic skill and experience surpassing that of many..

And -that- is probably only scratching the surface..

I’m a self taught drag queen. I figured out how to do a lot of the work it takes to get into drag including putting on makeup. I am also pretty good at styling doll hair. Trying to incorporate it into wigs for drag but it is harder because I don’t have a mannequin head to put the wig on as I style it.
I have never tried but I understand the artistry, awareness and perseverance needed to conduct such eloquent skills with any degree of quality. I understand that there are so many tutorials out there nowadays but still to do so on your own without someone’s guidance or assistance is certainly a feat to be had.. anyone who sits down and applies such attention to their own -personal- artistry is amazing in my eyes.. heck, just accenting ones eyes in decent definition and contrast can set me ablaze from passing glance.

Now that my hands seem to work better.. maybe I might seek some pointers if I ever feel like doting some malachite gree.

One of the things I like to do is sculpt figurines. I have collected toy soldiers since childhood and make figurines sometimes to complement collections. I made these after The Lord of the Rings came out and they made a great series of toy figures in the right scale for me. This was my attempt at portraying some orcs to add to the collection.

5340780431_d7a235eb85_z.jpg

I think the most important skills & knowledge I've attained is coming into an understanding of my self and others and how to deal with the inner self and with others.

I write and perform music for my own and other's enjoyment. Sometimes I wish I'd been a professional musician, but when I read their biographies and hear how they were constantly ripped off by management and struggled to make any money, I am glad that it is just a hobby.

being ignored i have it down to a fine art and hated
for non English members, the English sense of humour can be very!sarcastic and very dark im not scottish,welsh or n.irish cant speak for them

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

In 6th grade (Year 7), I acquired a special talent to speak in different English accents such as American, British, Indian, Australian, New Zealand, and many more. It was fun to try new accents. My teachers were amazed by my ability, but most of the time, they could not understand me. My teachers told me to stop speaking in a thick British accent as they could not understand me. The ability stayed, but eventually, I reverted to my American accent even though it was monotonous.

In 7th grade (Year 8), I acquired a special talent to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa without a calculator. For example, if you ask me, ‘Convert 23°C to Fahrenheit’, I answer ‘73°F’ in seconds. I can also convert miles to kilometres without a calculator. If you ask me 'Convert 45 miles to kilometres', I answer '72 km' in seconds.

I can also convert time zones without a calculator. If you ask me 'Convert 18:00 (6:00pm) Los Angeles time (UTC-7) to London time (UTC+1)', I answer '02:00 (2:00am)' immediately.

No one knows how I got these special talents, and I cannot explain it.

Last edited:
So much talent and expertise here!

Forest Cat reminded me of how much I loved XC skiing when I lived up north. Not racing, but packing a lunch and a thermos and skiing into the Adirondacks for a day.

Currently I do wilderness canoe tripping, some white water. Growing tropical fruits, orchids and native plant restoration. Sing, play piano and banjo. Used to play violin/fiddle. Used to raise sheep and rabbits, spun yarn, weaving and knitting. Spanish and French. Enough Swedish and bahasa Indonesia to travel. Used to grow and preserve most of our food. Dancing: swing, contra, belly.

My main one is language learning. I have learned 6 different languages to varying levels of fluency, and 4 of those fluently (though my French is no longer so good because I haven't practised it for a long time). Also, I know a lot of progressive rock bands, where they come from, what albums they have released, etc.

An interest of mine is canoeing and kayaking. I have seen beautiful cedar-strip boats and wanted one, but they are too expensive. Some of my friends started building such boats, so I started learning from them. Soon I was building boats; a 16 ft. Peterborough tandem canoe, a 21ft. tandem sea kayak, a 15.5 ft solo fast tripping canoe, and a 17.5 ft. solo sea kayak at 36 lbs.. Me paddling my solo boat.
View attachment 85334

Another interest is natural history and I have done fossil collecting. I am putting together a collection of trilobites from Morocco where I am trying to get at least one genus from each family in the Paleozoic. When complete it will go to a local college or university. Here is a typical trilobite, a Walliserops, Family Acastidae, Devonian.
View attachment 85333

Pluss, I scuba and like to do underwater photography. Here is a Nudibranch.
View attachment 85332
I love nudibranchs!!! I love mollusks in general as you might have guessed.... Anyways- I'd like to see some in person someday

I love nudibranchs!!! I love mollusks in general as you might have guessed.... Anyways- I'd like to see some in person someday
I hope you do. The greatest variety I've seen is in the Lembeh Straits in Sulawesi. It is called "muck diving" because the bottom is dark volcanic sand. What critters you see are amazingly rare. There is even a dive site called Nudi Falls. I was hoping to see Bobbit Worms, named for the personage who's penis was lopped off and the worm looks like a free living penis with fangs - think, the movie "Preditor" mouthparts

My first and most pleasant self-employment was in silversmithing (mostly on brass) and I still do it as a hobby. Using those skills on a plumbing repair once saved a single mom $990. I made countless custom jobs, like a removable wall, or hardwood laid over carpet. I've done a lot of display work, and made some backpack puppets and inflatable props for street theatre.
I learned enough engineering and programming from books to design composite structures with flexible parts, replacing many separate components. My 1st prototype won a major prize, but the best business partners I could find got me sidetracked into a smaller project to raise funds. The resulting hardware also won prizes, but I saw that it was not reducing oil use the way it was applied, so I let that go. Then I was hired to make ordinary composite parts for aircraft. They sent me for a week's advanced training and certification, and I only had to pay attention for the afternoon about paperwork.
Frustrated by the business world, etc, now I'm mostly interested in revealing how our subconscious minds usually short-circuit our logic and control our behaviour. Our brain chemistry is far older than language, but I hope to translate its messages into something we can study and use to bring more sanity into politics, etc.

When I had my head full of design and engineering problems, I took a job doing massage at a spa, and got many great reviews. I can also live on a small and variable income. 20 years of car ownership only cost me $4k for parts and depreciation. I'm a competent photographer, and have done layout for printing before and after computers. I do manual drafting and modelmaking. I did a two month bicycle tour, and can live in a car. I've grown some of my own food, and preserved and cooked it. I process firewood and start fires easily. I do some welding and machining. I can chair a meeting without pushing my own agenda. I drive well on ice, avoiding two big accidents.

New Threads

Top Bottom