• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Share some skills, talents, knowledge or hobbies that you have acquired over the years?

Neytiri

I’m a cosmetologist, specialized in colorimetry . I like to paint acrylic and oil in canvas. I like to learn languages even though I am not very good at it. I speak Spanish, English and a little bit of French. I took some acting and singing classes in my early years and I love dancing Latin music and belly dance. I like to read books about spirituality, psychology, medicine and neurology ( Currently reading The brain’s way of healing) also I love everything about science in general and etymology. I didn’t know in the past why I had an obsession in reading about human behavior and body lenguage and facial expressions, now I know that I was trying to learn how to fit in.
I’m also a coin collector, I have a really nice coin with a planchet error. I love writing , I am currently writing a book about parentification

Now is your turn.

Mechanic, machinist, fabricator, electronics technician, photographer, artist, aviator, auto body technician, mechanical engineer, inventor and manufacturer.
An all around jack of all trades and a master of none :p

Let's just say that I can honestly say that I have either designed or manufactured something that has touched every life on our planet ;)

My latest chapter of my life has me doing live demonstrations and preservation of 100+ year old machine tools at our local machine preservation society shows 5 days out of the year.

Our 102 year old Ohio shaper repairing my brass hammer.
In the background is our century old Monarch engine lathe that both run on our lineshaft.
20220828_181901.jpg

I was raised on a machineshop floor, so it is likely in my blood.
20220812_115712.jpg

That is me on the right in my 1920s machinist attire standing next to Fred Clark, the man that donated his shop equipment to the society

Last edited:
Not sure if l have any talent but l enjoyed stain glass, glass cutting, fusing the cut glass together and creating artwork. I love gardening. Running which l started quite late in life and turned into an important health attribute. Seem to have a skills as a paralegal and a career coach which gives me great satisfaction.

An interest of mine is canoeing and kayaking. I have seen beautiful cedar-strip boats and wanted one, but they are too expensive. Some of my friends started building such boats, so I started learning from them. Soon I was building boats; a 16 ft. Peterborough tandem canoe, a 21ft. tandem sea kayak, a 15.5 ft solo fast tripping canoe, and a 17.5 ft. solo sea kayak at 36 lbs.. Me paddling my solo boat.
a269f-1044630567-L.jpg

Another interest is natural history and I have done fossil collecting. I am putting together a collection of trilobites from Morocco where I am trying to get at least one genus from each family in the Paleozoic. When complete it will go to a local college or university. Here is a typical trilobite, a Walliserops, Family Acastidae, Devonian.
received_577429323018350.jpeg

Pluss, I scuba and like to do underwater photography. Here is a Nudibranch.
FB_IMG_1619798474344.jpg

Last edited:
An interest of mine is canoeing and kayaking. I have seen beautiful cedar-strip boats and wanted one, but they are too expensive. Some of my friends started building such boats, so I started learning from them. Soon I was building boats; a 16 ft. Peterborough tandem canoe, a 21ft. tandem sea kayak, a 15.5 ft solo fast tripping canoe, and a 17.5 ft. solo sea kayak at 36 lbs.. Me paddling my solo boat.
View attachment 85334

Another interest is natural history and I have done fossil collecting. I am putting together a collection of trilobites from Morocco where I am trying to get at least one genus from each family in the Paleozoic. When complete it will go to a local college or university. Here is a typical trilobite.
View attachment 85333

View attachment 85332

Beautiful.
I love to scuba too. Indoor mountain climbing is fun. Waiting for a place to open in 2023 near me.

@Nitro is very talented, you should see some of the wondrous works he’s taken the time and passion to breath life back into.. absolutely phenomenal mastery…

Similar skill set but nowhere near as talented,
Mechanic, millwright, backyard machinist/welder/fabricator/inventor, repairperson/handyperson, engineer, seamster, electronics tech, ‘mild’ PC programmer outdated nowadays, airbrush artist, autobody tech, metalworker, iron worker, modeller, aquaculturist, farmer/farmhand, operator, landscaper, pond installer, vinyl/paper cutter, CAD designer, baker, appetizer/dessert chef.. avid gamer and far more hobby related snippets of skills.. and of course, Journeyman, rough/trim/finish Carpenter, cabinetmaker, millworker, draftsperson and arborist.. Jack of (almost) all trades, master of none.. but still enjoy learning more every day.

And like you @Neytiri love other languages but have incredible difficulty retaining or sometimes even learning; other languages.. I have been working with a deaf employee for over a decade now and still cannot learn ASL more than very basic conversations that occur in the shop, shameful but it’s all we’ve needed.

French I was fluent in in school days but lost majority without regular use, learned some Italian to cater to an associates family staying in the country, did well at the time but can only temper a few words, now a few years out.. I love using other languages and find many far more beautiful and practical than the complication of English.. but just doesn’t work well for me.

I often build fully functioning automobiles from parts I find on the roadside. I have been a consultant to NASA on most space missions, checking the trajectories chosen by the rocket scientists. I design suspension bridges in my free time, finding ways to build them with a fraction of the metal used in older designs. I develop strategies for ending wars and ensuring world peace, world leaders are calling me constantly. I formulate new chemistries for batteries, increasing the power densities dramatically. I volunteer to help the poor, finding good paying jobs for the hopeless. As a civic leader, I rally people to turn slums into utopias.

OK, the truth is much less interesting. I got the idea for this screed from the title of the post. No offense intended for your real accomplishments. This is based on a news story about a college essay where someone similarly abandoned the truth. If you are familiar with that essay, you should be able to find one accomplishment I borrowed from it.

Here is a link to that essay: SS > jokes > Hugh Gallagher's 'College Essay'

Last edited:
Beautiful.
I love to scuba too. Indoor mountain climbing is fun. Waiting for a place to open in 2023 near me.
There are two hotspots for marine diversity in the Caribbean - The Florida Keys and Bonaire. I love the shore diving on Bonaire. My best memory from Florida was snorkeling. We paddled in our kayaks across King bay in Crystal River and went up a canal where the Three Sisters outlet is. After anchoring the kayaks we swam across the canal and snorkeled into the spring where Manitees were congregating. They would practically bump into you as they rolled over to get their bellies rubbed. It was a real special time.

On my bucket list is getting to Fort Jefferson where Mudd was imprisoned.

There are two hotspots for marine diversity in the Caribbean - The Florida Keys and Bonaire. I love the shore diving on Bonaire. My best memory from Florida was snorkeling. We paddled in our kayaks across King bay in Crystal River and went up a canal where the Three Sisters outlet is. After anchoring the kayaks we swam across the canal and snorkeled into the spring where Manitees were congregating. They would practically bump into you as they rolled over to get their bellies rubbed. It was a real special time.

On my bucket list is getting to Fort Jefferson where Mudd was imprisoned.
My mom owns a successful scuba shop near me. My boyfriend pesters her for diving excursions. Lol

Mechanic, machinist, fabricator, electronics technician, photographer, artist, aviator, auto body technician, mechanical engineer, inventor and manufacturer.
An all around jack of all trades and a master of none :p

Let's just say that I can honestly say that I have either designed or manufactured something that has touched every life on our planet ;)

My latest chapter of my life has me doing live demonstrations and preservation of 100+ year old machine tools at our local machine preservation society shows 5 days out of the year.

Our 102 year old Ohio shaper repairing my brass hammer.
In the background is our century old Monarch engine lathe that both run on our lineshaft.
View attachment 85329
I was raised on a machineshop floor, so it is likely in my blood.
View attachment 85331
That is me on the right in my 1920s machinist attire standing next to Fred Clark, the man that donated his shop equipment to the society
Wow. I am amazed by all your skills. Impressive!

Not sure if l have any talent but l enjoyed stain glass, glass cutting, fusing the cut glass together and creating artwork. I love gardening. Running which l started quite late in life and turned into an important health attribute. Seem to have a skills as a paralegal and a career coach which gives me great satisfaction.
It is so cool that you work with glass and I’m sure that you are talented. ;)

View attachment 85334

Another interest is natural history and I have done fossil collecting. I am putting together a collection of trilobites from Morocco where I am trying to get at least one genus from each family in the Paleozoic. When complete it will go to a local college or university. Here is a typical trilobite, a Walliserops, Family Acastidae, Devonian.
View attachment 85333

View attachment 85334

View attachment 85333

View attachment 85332
It is very interesting about the fossil collection and I love the last picture.

@Nitro is very talented, you should see some of the wondrous works he’s taken the time and passion to breath life back into.. absolutely phenomenal mastery…

Similar skill set but nowhere near as talented,
Mechanic, millwright, backyard machinist/welder/fabricator/inventor, repairperson/handyperson, engineer, seamster, electronics tech, ‘mild’ PC programmer outdated nowadays, airbrush artist, autobody tech, metalworker, iron worker, modeller, aquaculturist, farmer/farmhand, operator, landscaper, pond installer, vinyl/paper cutter, CAD designer, baker, appetizer/dessert chef.. avid gamer and far more hobby related snippets of skills.. and of course, Journeyman, rough/trim/finish Carpenter, cabinetmaker, millworker, draftsperson and arborist.. Jack of (almost) all trades, master of none.. but still enjoy learning more every day.

And like you @Neytiri love other languages but have incredible difficulty retaining or sometimes even learning; other languages.. I have been working with a deaf employee for over a decade now and still cannot learn ASL more than very basic conversations that occur in the shop, shameful but it’s all we’ve needed.

French I was fluent in in school days but lost majority without regular use, learned some Italian to cater to an associates family staying in the country, did well at the time but can only temper a few words, now a few years out.. I love using other languages and find many far more beautiful and practical than the complication of English.. but just doesn’t work well for me.
Wow. You have many skills. That’s amazing. Thank you for sharing

I often build fully functioning automobiles from parts I find on the roadside. I have been a consultant to NASA on most space missions, checking the trajectories chosen by the rocket scientists. I design suspension bridges in my free time, finding ways to build them with a fraction of the metal used in older designs. I develop strategies for ending wars and ensuring world peace, world leaders are calling me constantly. I formulate new chemistries for batteries, increasing the power densities dramatically. I volunteer to help the poor, finding good paying jobs for the hopeless. As a civic leader, I rally people to turn slums into utopias.

OK, the truth is much less interesting. I got the idea for this screed from the title of the post. No offense intended for your real accomplishments. This is based on a news story about a college essay where someone similarly abandoned the truth. If you are familiar with that essay, you should be able to find one accomplishment I borrowed from it.

I don’t prespire :D

I have a variety of skills and talents that I post about on here, but I’m primarily a professional dog trainer with a lot of focus on dog sports (Agility, Obedience, etc)

I have lots of pictures and videos of that on here! If you want to see, check out some of the threads I’ve made about my dogs :)

Here are some quick clips:

I have a variety of skills and talents that I post about on here, but I’m primarily a professional dog trainer with a lot of focus on dog sports (Agility, Obedience, etc)

I have lots of pictures and videos of that on here! If you want to see, check out some of the threads I’ve made about my dogs :)
They are all so calm! What a pleasure & inspiration to watch these--thank you for posting. (My Abby & I have a lot to aspire to!)

Both versions are absolutely exceptional.

Gamedev, creative coding, modular synthesis, digital logic +

I post about this stuff excessively elsewhere so I won't share any media here for once. lol

Wow. I am amazed by all your skills. Impressive!
Thank you. Far from impressive though, rather a workaholic who doesn’t stop when able mixed with the inability to generalize specific jobs/tasks.. it looks far more impressive, like @MyLifeAsAnAspie ’s beautiful iteration of, that list could probably be better summarized as: technical serviceman, tradesperson, homemaker, and artist?

And an incredible ability to always talk too much.. or present things in grandiose manner.
I love this thread and seeing the variety of passions and creativity, makes me want to see more threads showcasing members talents and creativity, already loving the ones I’ve happened onto.

New Threads

Top Bottom