• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory Meltdowns While Driving

I can't take it! It's too loud! Every time I drive, it sends me into a meltdown. The car has a VERY loud motor when you turn it on, then it is vibrating all the way through me towards me ears at the same time, and this problems escalates to bother me, even when wearing headphones!

Now I'm to the point of having a meltdown every time I drive! I try to remain in control, so I don't end up causing an accident (in which I somehow manage to still drive safely on the road and pay attention to traffic), but it causes me to swerve a bit, and I've got blisters on my hands from these meltdowns!

I'm glad to be out of school for the rest of the week, and I only have to go on Monday and Thursday of next week for my exams before I'm out for Christmas on the 13th, so I'm out early, BUT I'm still having to drive my little brother to school every day, and the drive is torture, especially when the school is all the way down the end of the street.

There is a bus from his school that comes through this neighborhood, but my mother just wants me to drive him. She knows the loud motor of the car is torturing me. I'm worried that the torture will get so bad that it'll cause me to have an accident.

Surely you put all this down in your application for a driving license? And they still gave you one? Smh, about 15 years ago I applied for a my second P license (provisional) and got turned down because of my AS.

Surely you put all this down in your application for a driving license? And they still gave you one? Smh, about 15 tears ago I applied for a my second P license (provisional) and got turned down because of my AS.

No, I had my license long before I got my diagnosis.

Another drive of torture, getting him to and from school. This time, I'm telling my brother's rude butt not to state at me. At least I finally found a way to have the music I try to block out the noise with on loop, so I don't have to constantly hold my phone.. The music isn't enough to block out the torture noise anymore because it's to the point that the car's loud motor even vibrates through me to my ears, causing me even more distress! This nightmare will never end... At least I can still maintain control of the car during a meltdown.. I just try to get home or to any stopping point as fast as possible, but it's harder to control that car in rainy weather because it easily skids whenever it hits a single water pocket.

Last edited:
Should I tell my mother even if I'm driving safely? I know our only choice is for me to have to drive to college and that's the only car I can use until I get mine back, but, at least, it would be easier if my brother rode the bus that came through our neighborhood instead of me having to be tortured, even on days off where I don't have class. I know I'm supposed to "help out", but this is causing me torture and pain. I'm fine with driving him to school on days I have class and have to drive the torture car anyway, but even on my days off, o still don't get a break from that torture.

If you're driving with headphones or earplugs, you're losing one of your key senses required for safe driving. Given the comments about noise and vibration bothering you to the point of meltdowns, this is one more issue. With all due respect, it's probably safer for everyone else on the road if you don't drive.

If you're driving with headphones or earplugs, you're losing one of your key senses required for safe driving. Given the comments about noise and vibration bothering you to the point of meltdowns, this is one more issue. With all due respect, it's probably safer for everyone else on the road if you don't drive.
That's the thing: I CAN hear right through the headphones AND earplugs! I have stated that already! In case you haven't understood, it's the other people on the road that I have to worry about! I've had stupid people jump in front of me, almost run me off the road! I'm not the reckless driver! My problem is that o have to suffer from the car's loud, rumbling engine, and idk if I'll ever get MY car back!

That's the thing: I CAN hear right through the headphones AND earplugs! I have stated that already! In case you haven't understood, it's the other people on the road that I have to worry about! I've had stupid people jump in front of me, almost run me off the road! I'm not the reckless driver! My problem is that o have to suffer from the car's loud, rumbling engine, and idk if I'll ever get MY car back!

All I can say is patience, and I have been there before, one time I was two or three months between cars, the car I didn't want anymore become undrivable due to a repair I didn't want to spend money on... I had another car lined but I had to two months of taking the bus, walking, etc... I survived and was so glad to get another car at the end of that time period...

You should let your mother know that it would be safer for your brother to ride the bus, and here, I think wearing earphones while driving would get you fined because is taking away one of the senses needed to drive safely. I understand the not wanting to lose your driving privileges, but you have to be smart about it.
I used to love driving. I would drive on a long trip and feel disappointed when I arrived to my destiny, because I just wanted to drive. But not so much any more. Now I get lost too often and stressed and it's just not pleasant any more. Once I was driving through Charlotte and was in stop and go traffic. My neck was giving me fits and caused me to black out for a second. I jumped to look up and see if I had hit anyone - luckily I hadn't. But it's a scary thought so now I know not to drive when my neck gets that bad.
We all know what our limits are and it's our responsibility to remain within those limits.
Hope you get your car back very soon.

You should let your mother know that it would be safer for your brother to ride the bus, and here, I think wearing earphones while driving would get you fined because is taking away one of the senses needed to drive safely. I understand the not wanting to lose your driving privileges, but you have to be smart about it.
I used to love driving. I would drive on a long trip and feel disappointed when I arrived to my destiny, because I just wanted to drive. But not so much any more. Now I get lost too often and stressed and it's just not pleasant any more. Once I was driving through Charlotte and was in stop and go traffic. My neck was giving me fits and caused me to black out for a second. I jumped to look up and see if I had hit anyone - luckily I hadn't. But it's a scary thought so now I know not to drive when my neck gets that bad.
We all know what our limits are and it's our responsibility to remain within those limits.
Hope you get your car back very soon.
I don't think she will take it as that. She knows I wear the headphones, but she never said anything about being fined. But if I say the word "safer", she'll think I'm driving recklessly, and she will totally hate me.

I used to love driving. I would drive on a long trip and feel disappointed when I arrived to my destiny, because I just wanted to drive.

Totally off topic :D I can turn a four hour drive into 12 hours... It's called photography... :rolleyes:And I still love driving! :)

I have an old car. It often makes crazy noises that signal issues with the engine. And, while I should probably listen to those sounds and take it in for repair when they happen, when it's a non-issue or something that can wait, I avert meltdowns not just by playing music, but by singing.

If I'm halfway through a meltdown and can't stand having the speakers blaring, I will find a note or notes to repeat monotonously, that harmonize with some of the tones the engine is making. It helps me to feel in control of the noise.

That said, last week I was driving on unfamiliar streets and had a complete meltdown over that and realized, later, that I shouldn't have been behind the wheel at all during.

During this particular meltdown, I vaguely remember chanting a couple of words, over and over... not sure what they were, but it might have been my brain's way of trying to distract and calm me down.

But I'm with some of the others here... tell your mother. Maybe there's some easy fix that can be done on your grandfather's car that will make it less noisy. (Muffler?)

Good luck!

Oh, I was thinking more along the lines of the bigger headphones that drown out all other noises.

In jurisdictions allowing such things they don't appear to have any such legal caveat. That pretty much any device goes, whether headphones or earbuds.

That it's the jurisdictions that specifically prohibit the use of both you have to be aware of. Though there's no question that the use of such a device does promote an inherent hazard no matter what degree of noise is diminished in the process.

But then not all laws revolving around public safety are necessarily consistent, either. Go figure.

Last edited:
In jurisdictions allowing such things they don't appear to have any such legal caveat. That pretty much any device goes, whether headphones or earbuds.

That it's the jurisdictions that specifically prohibit the use of both you have to be aware of.
I checked out the list. When I said "here, you might be fined", I was wrong - in NC I guess it IS legal. I think I learned most my driving laws in Virginia, where it is not legal. Same with radar detectors. :)

I checked out the list. When I said "here, you might be fined", I was wrong - in NC I guess it IS legal. I think I learned most my driving laws in Virginia, where it is not legal. Same with radar detectors. :)

Definitely, for anyone seriously considering the use of such a device while driving, by all means do the proper amount of research to confirm this based on the laws of your particular state.

Where all too often, "the devil is in the details". Even then, you do bring up a possible consideration. Where a law enforcement officer could still pull you over just on "probable cause" alone in real time. But that's not legal, right? Probably not, however it's no secret that on occasion laws are broken by the police as well.

Here in Nevada we have a local law against "distracted driving". Which actually gives law enforcement officers a "wide berth" in stopping people for all kinds of things. So yeah, one should proceed with this with their "eyes wide open". o_O

Last edited:
No, I had my license long before I got my diagnosis.

Did you have the sensory issues pre diagnosis though? Sorry to ask such personal questions, I'm just confused that they'd give you a license and not me, I don't and wouldn't have meltdowns while driving.

Did you have the sensory issues pre diagnosis though? Sorry to ask such personal questions, I'm just confused that they'd give you a license and not me, I don't and wouldn't have meltdowns while driving.

It's complicated on this side of the pond. Read this article. You may find that our 50-odd DMV bureaucracies regarding such issues are simply not as diligent or as rigid as yours in Britain may be.

Most of all I suppose it all depends on who is evaluating a person on the spectrum and how the DMV bureaucracy interprets it relative to their ability to operate a motor vehicle.

"Curry recently led a study which found that even though a significant number of individuals with ASD have drivers’ licenses, only 1 in 3 teens with ASD but no intellectual disability will actually get a license. Research has not been able to prove why this may be. Still, the benefits gained by autistic teens who pursue licenses and make an effort to drive themselves around are important. Licensure increases their mobility and independence, and it helps to contribute to positive changes in their education, social interaction and employment opportunities."

Autistic Teens With Drivers Licenses | DMV.com

Last edited:
I first learned to drive at age 12, i didn’t take a lot of interest in it, and it never came naturally whatsoevers. it never got easier. It’s actually gotten harder. I’m 20 now and I’ve failed the drivers test twice. So I just don’t drive. I hate relying on others, mostly my mom, to take me places. But I don’t think I’ll ever be able to drive without feeling like I went through a trauma after.

New Threads

Top Bottom