• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self promotion?

elgat0verde

Mister Doctor Professor
V.I.P Member
Hi guys

Would like to give this music business a shot but am very bad at promoting myself

I don't want to be a millionaire musician just... it would be nice to live off something I love doing which is creating music

YES I would LOVE to work at a vinyl store but well that opportunity is not that good here in this country because... reasons...

So yeah can pleas someone give me an idea on how to promote my bandcamp a bit more? So it can be a little more... out there...

It would be very nice for someone to be like I was growing up and finding my music and feeling less alone... cause when I listened to my music it always made me feel less alone and music saved my life LITERALLY so... If i can give back to what has kept me alive up to this point that'd be a dream come true!

I want people to realize they're not alone, that I feel the same way that there is another human who has been through that pain and loneliness and hurt and he's still around just playing some crappy music LOL

But yeah, thinking about getting more serious about this whole music shabang... and yeah... maybe that's my calling? Who knows... won't know until I try it, right?!

Thank you!

I'm being a "shadow" in promoting mine, but it's still promotion. I'm constantly linking it to a secondary Facebook page, a soundcloud page, etc. And what seems to be working best this year...I am cross-promoting it. I keep listing and linking song examples of each band (individually - once a week) of who my many influences are, why and how they inspired my music project and any little intricacies that I can point out that are most interesting.

The second round of promotion (still being a shadow) is that I will make attractive stickers that will have the bandcamp link on them, and I will place these stickers in the bathrooms in every live music venue that allows such. I will also just lay them on random tables, if I go out to eat, drop one casually in a dept. store, etc. etc. Also, I will make a few shirts with designs that I really like and simply the band name / music project name and just wear it around town...but more importantly, I will give some to friends who are way more into the music scene and go out constantly. It will obviously be asked about here and there, and the word of mouth can build that way, too.

I already have youtube videos for each song, but those are just one constant visual while the song plays through. I'm looking into doing lyric videos, but that might take a while. Per the style of my project, everything being very sci-fi and spacey, I'm probably going to capture gameplay of STARFIELD and just overlay my music atop it...then just randomly post those wherever here and there.

I'm taking an approach with it all based on inspiration and concept of one of my favorite movies ever... Turk 182.

Thanks @Dagan

I am a little bit more introverted tho... so... this makes it even harder... and the music scene here is... well... crap... to be honest...

I also have 0 dollars in my account and don't like social media... ugh....

I KNOW I'm complicating things but... well... in this town they don't even speak english... well... most people don't and my genre would be like... not liked cause people are just... ugh... people I guess

I may do the youtube thing tho... just an image and the song... see what happens

Thanks again

Another idea, if you frequent forums more than social media, is to put a link to your project in your signature. For example: I frequent the Operationsports forums a lot, per playing sports games. There's a signature for every single post that I make. That signature will include whatever I want, and however many thousands of people will see it. The rule is that you can expect 10% of any overall people seeing your link, will be the amount who click on that link. And then, of course, you can expect 1% of them on average will purchase, if that is the goal. If it's a free to listen a la Bandcamp, then you probably get everyone engaged. Writing this out and sharing it reminds me that I have learned a ton in the industry and didn't even want to, haha. I'm glad that I can share it, though.

Making a living off of your output is ridiculously hard, but I can speak on making a bit of passive income this way. Monetize your YT channel, engage with fans, create social platforms, help others with their music-making problems, sell other goods that people can use for their own output and be very present. Also, working ridiculously hard and always learning more about your craft is a given, and spanning over multiple domains will also help.

In my experience, people are more likely to buy sample packs (my 'hottest' item), code snippets, books, educational content (video tutorials, etc), stock photos, designs and tools that they can use in their own artwork and so on. If you find your niche, you might make a few K, and that's pretty cool for spare change on the internet, but don't expect it to pay the bills. If you get signed to a label and start touring however, you'll be in a different boat.

If you want to make money with your music as an independent artist, that's going to require touring extensively and most of us (myself included) don't really have the means (or clout) to do so, so settling for a more utilitarian output and having music on the side is about is literally closer than I ever thought I'd personally get, honestly.

But again, ship your stuff off to some big labels and you might strike it rich :D

Also, ps -- people don't like to talk about this one, but giving stuff away for free is nearly the only way to hook people in in the beginning (or even later on). Artists have been known to put their own music on the swashbucking high-seas (if you know what I mean), and bandcamp has those promo codes and community engagement on purpose. I used to think those were optional, but it's the reason why I have like 1,000+ followers at all. Just saying

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom