• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self diagnosed in my old age.

Hi Debrah and welcome. Hope you enjoy your time here. I'm 62 and realized I had autism just a few years ago. I didn't need the official diagnosis to know for certain - it was right on. I did the official diagnosis so my kids would be aware of it being in the family and taking it seriously.
I've learned a lot being here, but I mostly like having a place to go where you don't hear as much of the 'everyone does that' comments.

Thank you Pat for the welcome. I think your idea of getting the official diagnoses 'for the sake of family relations' is an interesting idea. I know last night I was thinking about telling my husband about my reading and recent realization but just couldn't bring myself to do it. In spite of him having to put up with my foibles and moods for 44 years and him being so wonderfully patient, I just felt too weird to say the words. But I'll give your idea some thought. So thanks for sharing.

I just felt too weird to say the words.
If you are high-functioning [ASD1], it would be better to soften the blow using the older term "Aspergers." Most uninformed NTs only think of autism with severe co-morbid conditions [ASD2/3] when they first hear the word "autism."

This way he could explore the topic further with a more open mind.

If you are high-functioning [ASD1], it would be better to soften the blow using the older term "Aspergers." Most uninformed NTs only think of autism with severe co-morbid conditions [ASD2/3] when they first hear the word "autism."

This way he could explore the topic further with a more open mind.

That's a pretty good idea Crossbreed. As I do some more reading and get a better understanding myself of the differences, making sure to use that terminology would probably be useful.

I'm just not sure yet what the meaning of being 'high functioning' would mean in relation to myself. I'd like to think of myself as high functioning in any circumstances, but when I think of my own 'limitations', I'm not sure what that would include. Yes, note to self 'do some more reading before you say anything'. Thanks for the suggestion.

I began to unravel this mystery at the age of 55...some years back. You've come to the right place to explore your autism through interacting with your own kind. Welcome to AF! :)

I began to unravel this mystery at the age of 55...some years back. You've come to the right place to explore your autism through interacting with your own kind. Welcome to AF! :)

Thanks Judge. I've been reading through some of the other posts and it's been interesting. Explains a few things too, that I've struggled with. So I'm looking forward to learning a bit more here.

Thanks Judge. I've been reading through some of the other posts and it's been interesting. Explains a few things too, that I've struggled with. So I'm looking forward to learning a bit more here.

It's quite rewarding to discover so many things that are so common to others here. The sort of things you might have thought that you lived in a world by yourself. Only to find that you are not alone. ;)

high functioning is for therapists ,not you, its telling them if you need other help ,ASD 2/3 need more help generally ,ASD1 like you need less help largely.

It's quite rewarding to discover so many things that are so common to others here. The sort of things you might have thought that you lived in a world by yourself. Only to find that you are not alone. ;)
Nice to know that I'm not alone. At least there's a glimmer of light.

New Threads

Top Bottom