• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Selective mutism

RemyZee

Anyone have experience with selective mutism? There are times for me where it is nearly or completely impossible to talk. I can remember as a young person how it was to be constantly expected to have conversations, while I was basically petrified and when not petrified just very very confused and not able to keep track of what anyone was saying. People remark about how quiet I am, and it's intolerable to stand in a group and make a simple remark at times--like I have to "rev myself up" just to make a simple comment. It's like a communication deficit and it always gets in my way. I'm not that way
with family and my one friend, and can be a chatterbox with them, but others: sometimes it's a perfectly nice person but... I just can't talk to them. I know people judge it and are uncomfortable with it. I finally have a job that ibcan stay with: everyone in the office is disabled, I love the place but I simply cannot talk or have any kind of conversation with around 2,/3 of the staff there. Do you have anything like this? What does it feel like and what do you do?

I get where your coming from.

I have a similar problem, though it's more situational. Certain things that are said that I perceive as a personal attack, just don't understand, or I need to generally take a moment to process. It happens often enough that it tends to be an annoyance to my Uncle.

Sometimes I don't have anything to say a little while, due to just thinking. Or I am trying to figure out something that is unclear in my head.

The feeling of not being able to talk. It's like you are commanding yourself to move your jaw, but it just refuses to funtion. Like your body is malfunctioning. And just feeling the boggyness of the mind, when overwhelmed. It just feels like you have nothing. Nothing to offer. Nothing to say. Just silence as you wonder why. Why you are doing this? Is it fear? What are you afraid of? I never have an answer in that moment. I'm too cognitively compromised to have a answer.

I know I've responded to a lot of threads with this, but I had that issue before being on medication.

Does severe shyness count? Not so much now, but when I was a teenager I went through a time where I got extremely shy around certain people. Like I'd talk nonstop to my best friend but as soon as her mother was there (or any other adults in her family) I'd go all into shy mode. But I'd still smile and make eye contact, and maybe utter a few words if I was directly spoken to though.

I remember when I was about 14 I went to a house party with my mother, aunt, cousins, and lots of adults and teenagers I didn't know. I sat down on the couch in the living-room and felt too shy to even move. Someone asked if I wanted something to eat or drink but I shook my head. Then I immediately realised I was hungry and thirsty, so I suddenly nodded my head but by then they had got distracted, but I felt too shy to call them or ask for something to eat or drink. I was even too shy to fidget or fiddle with anything, and I just sat glued to the TV even though I wasn't interested in any of the shows. I was bored stiff but was too shy to express it.
As soon as I was home with just my family I suddenly went back to my hyperactive, chatty self.

Thankfully I'm not as shy as that any more, though I can still get shy but not as shy as I used to be.

Anyone have experience with selective mutism? There are times for me where it is nearly or completely impossible to talk. I can remember as a young person how it was to be constantly expected to have conversations, while I was basically petrified and when not petrified just very very confused and not able to keep track of what anyone was saying. People remark about how quiet I am, and it's intolerable to stand in a group and make a simple remark at times--like I have to "rev myself up" just to make a simple comment. It's like a communication deficit and it always gets in my way. I'm not that way
with family and my one friend, and can be a chatterbox with them, but others: sometimes it's a perfectly nice person but... I just can't talk to them. I know people judge it and are uncomfortable with it. I finally have a job that ibcan stay with: everyone in the office is disabled, I love the place but I simply cannot talk or have any kind of conversation with around 2,/3 of the staff there. Do you have anything like this? What does it feel like and what do you do?

I have it. I have talked about it here. I try to explain to people that when I cannot talk, I cannot talk no matter what. There is nothing I can do but wait. That part of me stops.

I do not think people can understand. I think they think it is hard for me to speak. That is not it. When I cannot talk, I cannot talk. The ability is gone completely. It is simply not there. Later it comes back.

I wear a “dog tag” on a chain around my neck. On one side it says Autism Alert. On the other it mentions mutism and has my name. I also have an ID card with the same information and a silicone bracelet saying it too. My biggest fear is the police, having them think I am resisting them because I do not answer their question and getting in a lot of trouble.

I have never been stopped and asked a question by a police officer but it is my biggest fear they will beat me up and arrest me thinking I am ignoring them or fighting them. One day they had the street and sidewalk blocked and it was where I needed to go. I was confused because only the street seemed blocked but I did not need that. No one stopped me using the sidewalk so I went.

I was far down the block when a police officer in uniform came up to me quickly to stop me. I did something instinctual but I realize it was dangerous. Someone was trying to speak to me so I did what I always do, I reached into my bag for my iPad. I am so glad he did not get scared and shoot. I did not have text to speech then but I typed to him and he was okay.

I use an iPad to communicate. I have four of them and always have one with me. When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do before anything else is put it in my backpack. I cannot be without it.

Apple has Live Speech and Personal Voice now. The Live Speech lets me type and turns it to spoken words so people can hear. I spent a lot of time training Personal Voice. When it speaks it uses my own voice. I think it sounds just like me.

I wish people understood what it is like or believed me when I explain. I think many do. I am afraid they will see me talking or have spoken before then not understand why I am not speaking then, thinking “I won’t speak”. It is not a choice. It shuts down and the ability to speak is gone completely. I cannot even imagine speaking. I tried that as a technique but words were still completely gone. Forcing it only hurts me but still does not make me speak. I have to calm as much as possible and wait.

Because I am autistic I already have lots of communication misunderstandings with people. That is why I am so afraid of being without my iPad, I am afraid not speaking to them could make it so much worse. I have had strangers get very angry with me for not talking to them. One man followed me through a whole grocery store telling me I was rude and had to learn my manners. Things like that happen.

I used to when I was young (younger than 10). In certain situations, I wouldn't talk. I'd go blank. Refused to say anything.

Now is different. For me now it's a shutdown. I feel tired, like I don't want to be there. I do talk, but it's yes, no, or a sentence. It's very different from other situations when my problem is trying to not talk too much. It's more likely to happen when I'm with a group of people.

@grommet

Those are good ideas. Pointing towards your mouth and shaking your head as if saying No would be a fast way of telling people that you can't talk. Then showing the tag. People, police included, get scared of the unknown, but their behavior will change instantly if you can quickly convey that you can't talk. Maybe you could have a card in your wallet that says Mute? You quickly show it? It's not exactly true but not a lie either. At that moment, you can't talk.

I've seen it before where I'm convinced that person's problem was that they were so heavily focused on "doing it right", that they could only get two or three words out, and all you could hear was the intense strain and stress involved. It's instructive, because it tells you what a difference it makes to convince yourself to relax. Now, just don't waste all your energy and focus forcing yourself to relax. It's something that takes contemplation and preparation ahead of time. I tried to encourage him that he was very successful at communicating with his family, and to try to bring that to other conversations.

@grommet

Those are good ideas. Pointing towards your mouth and shaking your head as if saying No would be a fast way of telling people that you can't talk. Then showing the tag. People, police included, get scared of the unknown, but their behavior will change instantly if you can quickly convey that you can't talk. Maybe you could have a card in your wallet that says Mute? You quickly show it? It's not exactly true but not a lie either. At that moment, you can't talk.

Point at my throat and nod my head “No.” That is what I do. Almost everyone has been understanding. With police though I think it is dangerous, they can react so quickly and with violence. It is a very rare case but years ago a Deaf man was shot, the officer saw the situation as threatening because he thought the man was using gang signs when he was using sign language.

I think think I worry mostly unreasonably about the police situation but it is the only one that could mean so much and though not the police, it is not without precedent my not talking has caused serious situations. Without saying anything or making any facial expression or gestures, people have gotten extremely angry with me. They seem to imagine I am being disrespectful to them and they retaliate. I have written about those times. Like the Trader Joe’s employee on the ramp in the store who was blocking the way so I just stopped by them and waited. I could not do anything else. I could not speak to them so I waited. When she noticed me she got so upset and accused me of things. It was awful.

I really was just waiting for her. I had no feelings about it. It was logic to me. She was impassible, I could not contact her, I must wait until she moves. So I waited. She seemed to think I was fuming, waiting behind her back. I was not. She started accusing me of things loudly. She raised her voice across the store, pretended to ask other employees things. She said I was filled with toxic rage and she needed to purify to store from my anger with sage, did the other employee know where they had some? She said this so I would hear it and be upset.

I did what I thought was right. No violence, no confrontation, no problem. I would just quietly wait and that still got me in trouble. So I am very worried about someone doing what she did but being a police officer. They are the same as everyone else but with so much authority, they can take you away. What if one of them got mad like the woman at the store? I am so frightened thinking about it I do have all that ID to help just in case.

We get in trouble so much when we do not mean to do anything to anyone. It happens to autistic people so much all our lives that we pull away, afraid of what could happen. With the police I think it is scarier and worse when you cannot speak and answer their questions.

For years I went to an in-person autism meeting. We formed seating patterns without meaning to and I always sat next to one man. In meetings with him, next to him for years, he never spoke. One day he did. I never thought badly of him before or after. The only place I have found autistic people accepted was in meetings around each other. Everyone else seems to imagine all sorts of things about us. We are usually literal, not the things they imagine but what we actually do and say.

This belabors and digresses a bit I think but I have never forgotten a true story about a man in a book about autistic people. He liked a woman, he felt romantic about her. So be gave her an expensive sword. He got in trouble because it was a weapon and made what he did seem dangerous but he loved swords and this was a deep high compliment from him, to buy and give her such a nice one. He only meant good but it worked out so badly. I am not saying the other people were wrong to be suspicious or alarmed but I understand him and I worry about how frightened and hurt and confused he must have felt after.

I do not know what is exactly right and wrong to do to another person so I try to stay away and be very careful. I was terrified in physical therapy that I might accidentally touch my female physical therapist. I kept my hands pinned to my sides and never looked at her. I was a man in a room alone with a woman who was not my friend or girlfriend, do not touch her. I try rules like that but I see how they are not totally reasonable either.

With a police officer though they can hurt me or take me to jail if there is any misunderstanding and my whole life there have been misunderstandings so I worry a lot about it.

Yes I have been asked why I dont say anything. Sometimes I get irritated if someone wants me to talk, like its a massive inconvenience to me. I have the racing half thoughts in my head though.

Like said above sometimes it's a processing issue. By the time Ive formulated a response the conversation has moved on.

New Threads

Top Bottom