• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Selective Mutism

Would you expect a psychiatrist to recognise and understand this? I have just parted company with mine because I found it very difficult to talk to him (I distrust him greatly). My last meeting involved me staring at the floor, unable to speak, and trying not to pass out whilst he was saying to me "silence isn't going to help!"

Aaah, similar experience with a councellor I eventually abandoned as a bad job - I'd had illogical and contradictory arguments with her several sessions in a row - she seemed unable to see that there was anything wrong with me at all, then I was 5 minutes late for the next appointment due to traffic (I always get places at least half an hour early as I really hate being late) and found that the stress of anticipating another difficult session plus the few minutes lateness had triggered my mutism.
The first 15 minutes passed in silence while she stared at me, then, when I could talk again, she couldn't see why I would have a problem with stress - entirely failing to acknowlege the mutism, itself or as a symptom of any other issue!
No more councellors for me! o_O

Last edited:
My daughter (11 years old, just diagnosed with PDD-NOS) has not been able to speak at all for about three months. She can mouth the words she wants to say but no sound come out. She only 'silent speak' when she's very frustrated as she know i don't lip read and she does want me to understand her. So she writes on her iPad, does charades and spell letters with her hands. For her, the words are definitely clear in her head.

Would you expect a psychiatrist to recognise and understand this? I have just parted company with mine because I found it very difficult to talk to him (I distrust him greatly). My last meeting involved me staring at the floor, unable to speak, and trying not to pass out whilst he was saying to me "silence isn't going to help!"

Oh, I believe that sentence makes it just worse. I would not return to this psychiatrist either and rather search for somebody you can trust.

I had this a lot when I was younger that I just went mute in certain situations. People complaint a lot that I would not talk. I was still thinking but I did not get out the words. It was worse in stressful situations, when somebody would get upset I stopped responding at all. I still have it that I go mute. I think it is connected to group settings. Just recently I was on a birthday party of my nephew. Being in a room with 6 persons when I realized I had not said anything for some time already. I was thinking "I should say something" but I did not feel like talking at all and there was nothing new I could have added to the subject.

I was silent for years, many reasons few of which I like chatting about , but once I started trying to talk again I found that my voice had softened to the point of being a whisper so when I'm at work and I try to say something to someone they typically don't hear it, its even better at family functions but eh I avoid those anyways xD so I'm safe from that travesty. Though something I've noticed is that my face can 'apparently' be very express to the point that what to me is slight agitation is shown has full-blown rage

New Threads

Top Bottom