• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Seeking stories of experiences with menopause as a person with asd(any severity) diagnosed at any stage.

annO

️©
V.I.P Member
This is a cross post because I put it in the wrong subforum initially. Please forgive me, I'm learning.

Hello. A bit if context:

I am 43 yo female. I was diagnosed asd/adhd less than 2 months ago and I didn't know anything about autism until my therapist brought it up a few weeks before my diagnostic testing. She asked me to read some literature and see if I identify with it and it didn't say asd anywhere on it. I filled it out and then started researching the things on that list in the privacy of my own comfort zone. That's when I realized she was letting me open my own eyes to asd and letting me identify with it in as much of an organic way as possible. She knows me and my learning style so hard and I'm so grateful for her approach as I would have never seen things clearly otherwise and would have rejected the thought reflexively on the basis that I had been alive so long without anyone ever noticing, especially previous mental health treatment. So I'm very much behind on knowledge and processing BUT I'm reading so much informative stuff and relating to so many stories, especially on this site, and somehow I feel lighter.

Anyway, ramblings aside. Details:

I'm currently fresh on the perimenopause, headed towards menopause and that's got me stressed enough on its own even with adopting (sometimes forcefully :tonguewink:) a mindset of "growth" and self love. I'm interested to hear from anyone who might be willing to share their own experiences of how asd may have impacted (positive or negative) your own menopause journey or if it even had any influence at all. I'm also interested to know what your support system looked(s) like. Reading suggestions also appreciated.
Second hand accounts also welcome. :)

I don't know if my autism is related but I have hot flashes for years sometimes every half an hour, it is unconfortable, the cloths get wet, the face, it leaks in to my eyes, not too fun. Got to keep going, Sage supplements used to help now it diminished it a little with more at the time, to me it helped just a while, I just restarted to take some and I need like way more for it to work... I watched a repport saying bio identical hormones are better for the health but I haven't took any hormones so I cannot realy say... and I dont know the difference... would be nice to have the point of view of doctors about it...

This is a cross post because I put it in the wrong subforum initially. Please forgive me, I'm learning.

Hello. A bit if context:

I am 43 yo female. I was diagnosed asd/adhd less than 2 months ago and I didn't know anything about autism until my therapist brought it up a few weeks before my diagnostic testing. She asked me to read some literature and see if I identify with it and it didn't say asd anywhere on it. I filled it out and then started researching the things on that list in the privacy of my own comfort zone. That's when I realized she was letting me open my own eyes to asd and letting me identify with it in as much of an organic way as possible. She knows me and my learning style so hard and I'm so grateful for her approach as I would have never seen things clearly otherwise and would have rejected the thought reflexively on the basis that I had been alive so long without anyone ever noticing, especially previous mental health treatment. So I'm very much behind on knowledge and processing BUT I'm reading so much informative stuff and relating to so many stories, especially on this site, and somehow I feel lighter.

Anyway, ramblings aside. Details:

I'm currently fresh on the perimenopause, headed towards menopause and that's got me stressed enough on its own even with adopting (sometimes forcefully :tonguewink:) a mindset of "growth" and self love. I'm interested to hear from anyone who might be willing to share their own experiences of how asd may have impacted (positive or negative) your own menopause journey or if it even had any influence at all. I'm also interested to know what your support system looked(s) like. Reading suggestions also appreciated.
Second hand accounts also welcome. :)

It's wonderful to hear about your journey of self-discovery and how your therapist's approach has allowed you to come to terms with your diagnosis in a way that feels natural and comfortable for you. Embracing this new understanding of yourself can be a transformative experience.

As for your questions regarding the intersection of autism and menopause, while I can't provide personal experiences, I can share some general insights based on what is known:

1. **Impact on Sensory Sensitivities:** Some individuals with autism already experience heightened sensory sensitivities. The hormonal changes during menopause could potentially amplify these sensitivities, leading to increased discomfort or challenges in managing sensory overload.

2. **Emotional Regulation:** Both autism and menopause can impact emotional regulation. The emotional changes associated with menopause, combined with the emotional challenges that some individuals with autism face, might require additional strategies to manage and navigate these feelings.

3. **Routine and Change:** The routine-oriented nature of many individuals with autism might be affected by the changes that menopause brings. Adapting to these changes could require careful planning and support.

4. **Communication Challenges:** Autism can involve difficulties in communication, and the hormonal changes during menopause might compound these challenges. Effective communication with healthcare providers and support networks becomes crucial.

5. **Support System:** Having a strong support system is vital during any significant life transition, including menopause. This system could include friends, family, therapists, support groups, and healthcare professionals who are sensitive to your unique needs.

6. **Self-Care and Coping Strategies:** Autistic individuals might have specific self-care routines and coping strategies that have been effective for them. During menopause, it's important to adapt and expand these strategies to address new challenges that arise.

As for reading suggestions, here are a few books that might provide insights into autism and the experiences of women, including during life transitions:

1. "Spectrum Women: Walking to the Beat of Autism" edited by Barb Cook and Dr. Michelle Garnett
2. "I Am AspienWoman: The Unique Characteristics, Traits, and Gifts of Adult Females on the Autism Spectrum" by Tania Marshall
3. "Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome" by Rudy Simone

Remember that everyone's experience is unique, and while these insights can provide some understanding, your journey through menopause will be influenced by your individual strengths, challenges, and support systems. Connecting with online communities, support groups, and forums for autistic individuals and women experiencing menopause could provide additional perspectives and shared experiences.

New Threads

Top Bottom